Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service center scratched all of my rims installing snow tires!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in DC and wanted to be prepared for winter so I took advantage of the TireRack.com $60 off rebate and bought a set of Pirelli Sottozero snow tires. I am on my second Tesla Model S and have been babying my P85 since I picked it up over the summer so I'm VERY aware of every nick, ding, scratch, etc. That said, I took the advice of others on this board and brought my car in to have the service center install the snow tires rather than have them done at a non-dealer service center. I recall that someone here said that the Tesla service center had some special tire mount machine that would prevent the rims from being damaged. Well...apparently not so...since every one of my rims got scratched and damaged to some degree. One has deep gashes along the edge of the rim. I just got back from having one rim fixed and repainted after I accidentally scraped a curb and now this! Has anyone else had this problem with the Rockville (or other) service center installing tires?

I also noticed that when my car was in the shop the service guy opened the driver's side door into the side of the steel lift! When I got my car back it had a very noticeable (and amateurish) paint pen repair. I'm kind of pissed about this also. I used to think that it was nice of them to wash/detail the car before returning it...now I don't want anyone to touch it unless it has something to do with why I am bringing it in.

Anyone have advice or had a similar incident?

This is exactly why Tesla's policy is to not mount aftermarket tires. I'm sure the D.C. manager is going to get in HUGE trouble for breaking the policy and mounting aftermarket tires you bought elsewhere.

I didn't buy aftermarket tires. I bought the same exact winter tires that Tesla sells--just from TireRack because the price was less expensive. By the way, I bought them from TireRack AT THE RECOMMENDATION of my Tesla service rep!

I always take about a hundred pictures of my car before dropping it off (including the wheels). It's currently flawless with no scratches or damage of any kind. Not even swirls in the paint (15K miles). I always tape up the aluminum thresholds with blue 3m tape as well. I use a 5D MKIII with an F1.2 lens so I can get good sharp pictures even in low light and lots of them quickly. A cell phone camera just doesn't cut it.

I avoid dealers/service centers like the plague. No one gives a crap about your car. Door dings, scratches, whatever is fair game.

Obviously hardly anyone has a tire mounting and balancing machine at home, so take a lot of video/pictures of the car right before you take it into service as proof.

I have one, and am surprised by just how handy it is.
-plastic/vinyl duck head (prevents scratches) arrived months ago
-"aged" out trailer tires. Done.
-truck tire with plug still doesn't hold air. Internal patch kit on way.
-Snows from old S85 have incompatible TPMS. New TPMS on way. Just need to break the bead & swap.
-I can test for out-of-round, on wheels that balance (got one).
Friends bring beer.

I've had dings come from tight fitting J1772 spots. "Just say no", even at Tesla's A/C stations :mad: .

I use a 5D MKIII with an F1.2 lens so I can get good sharp pictures

Unless you're stopping down your f/1.2 lens (50mm? maybe 85mm?) then your DOF is going to be shallow, and you may get more artistic looking photos, but you're blurring the details that aren't on the same focal plane as your focus point.

But I'm sure you know this.