Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light or Dark headliner with Black Leather Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of the lucky 10,000 Production reservation holders that have been invited to configure.

So far I have decided on all of the colors/options EXCEPT for the headliner. I am looking at the black leather seats, but I am having a hard time deciding if I want to 'lighten up' the interior or Mae it all 'Darth Vader' dark inside.

Are there pictures of X's (or S's) that show what the two pairings look like?

I am one of the lucky 10,000 Production reservation holders that have been invited to configure.

So far I have decided on all of the colors/options EXCEPT for the headliner. I am looking at the black leather seats, but I am having a hard time deciding if I want to 'lighten up' the interior or Mae it all 'Darth Vader' dark inside.

IMO the headliner should to be "experienced" in person. I had the opportunity to sit in both at the launch and it made my decision a lot easier. A couple of weeks later I sat in both again (Model Ss this time) at my local service center for reassurance ..as I wasn't quite myself at the reveal :smile:

Last edited:
I have black with light alcantara in Model S, and we're going with black with dark headliner in Model X.

I prefer the lighter alcantara to "brighten it up" in there, but black hides the smears and smudges from greasy kids' fingerprints. :)

We went black/black, but mostly because we still have young(ish) kids and thought darker colors would hold up better overall to possibly dirty hands, etc. I like the contrast of ultra white with black or black with light headliner. To add a bit of constrast to the black/black interior, we went with the Figured Ash decor as this appears to be a bit lighter (and definitely grainier) than the matte or gloss obeche wood.

It looks like Mark Templeton's X has beige seats, but here you can at least see what the light headliner looks like with FWD open:

iCloud Photo Sharing

and here's a dark headliner on the FWD (Mark Z's photo):

Quality seals for the Falcon Wing doors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I haven't seen any pics of founders Model X cars with black leather/black alcantara but we looked at a few Model Ses that had that, and it looked pretty sweet. Sorry - did not take pics! But here are a few Model S black seats/dark headliner combinations. The Tsportline ones may be custom but it does give you a feel for black on black:

http://www.ondeautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-Tesla-Model-S-P85D-Interior-4.jpg
https://tsportline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/TS3-Black-Black-P85D-06.jpg
https://tsportline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/TS3-Black-Black-P85D-08.jpg

You might call around to your closest Tesla stores to see which ones have a few CPO or inventory Model Ses on hand and ask if any have the black leather/black alcantara headliners. They may not know. In our case, we went to the Paramus, NJ store as they had a large selection of CPO and inventory cars and a few did have the black/black combination.

Good luck!

-Chris

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the headliner should to be "experienced" in person. I had the opportunity to sit in both at the launch and it made my decision a lot easier. A couple of weeks later I sat in both again (Model Ss this time) at my local service center just to reassure myself ..as I wasn't quite myself at the reveal :smile:
And what did you pick?

- - - Updated - - -

I have black with light alcantara in Model S, and we're going with black with dark headliner in Model X.

I prefer the lighter alcantara to "brighten it up" in there, but black hides the smears and smudges from greasy kids' fingerprints. :)
Thanks for that validation. :)

I pretty much had the same thinking as the people above. I somewhat prefer the spacious feel of the lighter headliner, but was worried about mess little ones and black haired dog would create on it. I have also read Mark's ownership experiences closely. He did mention somewhere that at first he thought he would have to tint the windows a little more until he discovered how to operate the visor. That indicates to me that there may be a glare issue with such a large overhead window and maybe a black headliner would reduce it. I went back and forth with this decision the whole week while waiting for the auto confirm.

Thanx all, I agree that I would like to experience both combos (preferably in an X), but I am also itching to get the order placed.

Chris, Mark Templeton's seats re actually black, so this gives me a good indication of what it would look like.

... Leaning towards the light headliner again ...

Chris, Mark Templeton's seats re actually black, so this gives me a good indication of what it would look like.

... Leaning towards the light headliner again ...
You sure? They look awfully light in this picture/video:

iCloud Photo Sharing

I thought maybe they were grey, but that's not an option. Could it be custom? Or do the black seats really look that light in sunlight? Is this another black-and-blue/white-and-gold dress thing? :)

- - - Updated - - -

...itching to get the order placed.
Then order it! Then you'll have a week to go seek one out in the flesh to confirm your choice. Nothing is more motivating than a ticking clock. :)

My Sig S had tan leather and a light Alcantara headliner.
My P85D has gray leather and a black Alcantara headliner.

My Sig X will have tan leather and a black Alcantara headliner.

Any questions? :biggrin:

You sure? They look awfully light in this picture/video:

I was looking at these two pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I understand the angst. I too was undecided between the black seats and the color of the head liner. I looked at an S at the local SC with titanium paint -- one with tan seats and another with black seats. The Tan seat looked like a good match, but I recalled having Tan Seats in my prior Audi which annual deep cleaning. After seeing a Titanium with black and light headliner, it looked more "open" or airy. So I went with the light headliner.

We went with black/black, in part because almost the entire ceiling is glass - both the windshield and the smaller panels above rear seats. On sunny summer days, I thought black might help mitigate some of the brightness. Also, in our dark NW in winters, I thought it would feel cozier and warmer. And finally, the rather thick framing around the top windows of the FWs might be less evident--kind of how a dark frame draws your eyes into a picture. Most pics I've seen have been the light color, so I'm probably a minority opinion.

We went with black/black, in part because almost the entire ceiling is glass - both the windshield and the smaller panels above rear seats. On sunny summer days, I thought black might help mitigate some of the brightness. Also, in our dark NW in winters, I thought it would feel cozier and warmer. And finally, the rather thick framing around the top windows of the FWs might be less evident--kind of how a dark frame draws your eyes into a picture. Most pics I've seen have been the light color, so I'm probably a minority opinion.

You make Port Townsend like a dreary place. When I visited many years ago, I thought it was most likely one the best cities in the USA to live.

I had a loaner the other week that was white exterior, pano roof, black next gen seats, black headliner, piano black trim. looked gorgeous on the outside, felt like a coffin inside. I was getting claustrophobic in there!
Couldn't see a thing on the inside, it just sucked all the light out of the surroundings, can't even imagine what would happen if someone tried that and then tinted the windows!

If you must get black seats (not my preferred option) at least get the light headliner to get SOME light in to the vehicle, remember, they all have black carpet and most of the trim is black, if you go "all black" it really is ALL black.

I really like the look of the light headliner/seats but my Model S has collected a number of difficult to remove fingerprints on the headliner and leather on leather rub marks on the seats so i've been debating going with all back inside. Last time I had that combo was a Porsche 928 and it was pretty hot inside, but the fingerprints on the headliner/sunvisor don't come out easily.