Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a wirelsss back up camera to a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I would like a rear view camera to be on whenever the car is on.
In my S I leave the rear view camera image on at the top of the center display all the time.
Ha, I tried that for awhile but it sort of freaked me out. Plus I use Nav + Slacker all the time so those use up both halves of the screen.

I suppose you may end up needing to run a wire to get constant 12v back there. Check on Elise forums, if there's a source there already they'd know for sure.

Can't you guys tie into the trunk light/switch? That's constantly supplying a constant source of power and its right there in the drivers rear corner of the fender/trunk. Just tie in before the switch.
But how to run the power wire from that location to the rear view camera mounted on the license plate frame? Not keen on drilling a hole through the body.

But how to run the power wire from that location to the rear view camera mounted on the license plate frame? Not keen on drilling a hole through the body.

You shouldn't have to drill anything. You can fish a wire through the existing license plate light hole or through the rear tail-light, whichever you prefer.

I'm not a fan of backup camera's unless I'm trying to hook up a hitch to my truck. Even then I've got that dialed and know the perimeter of my car. But I can see why people like them for curbs and such. I just make sure I give ample space away from them. I just find these things to be more of a distraction. I also don't like tying in any more electronics into the Roadster than what was there from stock.

However a great use of these cameras, which having both a front & back would be ideal, is to constantly keep them on and record for a dashcam feature and possibly change their angle of view for ideal captures while driving. They way people don't pay attention and lack of proper driving skills these days, that feature can totally save lots of grief. Dashcams are great but they're kinda bulky, look odd, and just another accessory to tie into the 12v system. But if all the above were integrated into one clean package done right, well then, I may be convinced to move to the other side :)

Last edited:
They should start making dashcams that are also cellphones (or vice versa). Cellphones already come with both forward and rear cameras. A simple mount could be glued to the dash; the mount would have a pin that would activate 'dashcam' mode which would start both cameras. If needed you could plug in a charge cord after mounting the device on the dash. Likely you would remember to take it with you when you park the car since it is sitting right up there on the dash, and it is *your cellphone*.
--