Page 4 of 273 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Reservation Tally

Items for Sale
    I'd only agree with this up to a point Dave.

For me, the quality of the electric performance and "coolness factor" disolved many & most short-comings of the Roadster...for the cost of the Roadster, I could have chosen from an impressive list of gassers,,,but I didn't choose any of them as the " cache' " of the electric Roadster superceded the Roadster's short-comings by a long shot.

Remember, 20,000 units is not a huge number here in North Amercia, let alone world-wide.

jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVa View Post
    I think this will be true, but only if Tesla delivers on the promise to not only make it a great electric car, but to make it a great car in comparison to the ICE vehicles in its price class. While the Tesla Roadster is an amazing technical achievement, it was really pretty basic outside of the power train and much more expensive that ICE based Lotus equivelent.

When you look at the cost of the Signature Series it has some pretty tough competition. The Model S must provide both equivelent advanced features (e.g. a good adaptive cruise control/collision avoidance is high on my want/need list) and the solid fit, finish and feel of an $80k luxury automobile.

If they can pull that off - I think the reservation list will absolutely take off and Tesla will need to ramp up thier production numbers from the planned 20K per year to produce more vehicles in 2013.

My two cents...
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    For me, the quality of the electric performance and "coolness factor" disolved many & most short-comings of the Roadster...for the cost of the Roadster, I could have chosen from an impressive list of gassers,,,but I didn't choose any of them as the " cache' " of the electric Roadster superceded the Roadster's short-comings by a long shot.
    +1. The "coolness" factor is indeed up on there on my list of reasons too. It'd indeed be ideal if everything else about the car is on par let alone better than equivalent ICEs but, I'd be okay to give up a little on some of the standard accoutrements for a great-performing, reliable and smashing-looking EV!

Can't wait to go: "Take that, you show-off but, run-of-the-mill Jag/Merc/BMW/Audi/Lexus driver!"

I'm thinking that Tesla got something out of the Toyota/Lexus and Daimler/Mercedes deals besides cash. Hopefully some luxury tech.

Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post

Remember, 20,000 units is not a huge number here in North Amercia, let alone world-wide.

jmo.
    I think at it's peak the NUMMI plant was cranking out 6,000 vehicles a week. My understanding is that the 20,000 unit number is running a single line for a single shift. By running three shifts they could triple production without any significant CapEx into new equipment. If they need to - I imagine they could ramp up very quickly.

They also have the space to add a parrallel line for the Model X chassis to be delivered in 2013.

Dave

I thought everyone might find this interesting:

Life with Tesla, The Documentary

Total: 5,704 - July 16, 2011

I have the impression number of pre-orders are growing fast this month!

4646 ----- april 9
    4817 ----- may 2
    5229 ----- june 1
    5558 ----- june 29

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstp View Post
    4646 ----- april 9
    4817 ----- may 2
    5229 ----- june 1
    5558 ----- june 29
    A result of the prototype tour?

Very nice increases indeed! I'm still hoping to hop on the sig series line myself

Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    A result of the prototype tour?
    While the prototype tour is helpful - the real reservation take off will be with the Beta tour. The prototype's "don't touch" status and MB conversion issues (components didn't quite sit right on the ICE structure limiting interior volume etc.) made it a nice piece of art work to look at, but still required a lot of faith on the buyers part. With the Beta tour prospective buyers (reservation holders) will get to drive a near production model.

I'm also sure the press will be lined up for a test drive. If Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Autoweek say that the Model S out drives the 5 series and E class, I think that reservations will really take off.

Thread Information