Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Mirror...no auto dimming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my CPO 85, and im missing somethings

First off had a problem with the valet mode while I was being instructed by Tesla, Car had to have a master reset done to override a previous valet code.

Then found out I dont have user profiles, and dont have lumbar support, or memory seats?

Now I notice that the side view mirrors dim, but the rear view mirror does not? is this something else I am missing or is there a switch to turn off and on...

Would like that to work at night.

I was told the car had the tech package...ambient lights are there but no fogs....wish I could have them or add them.

I do have the power lift gate.

Any thoughts on this weird set up?

Depending on the age of the car, there was a period where fog lights did not come with the tech package and were discontinued for a bit while they were re-designed. I recall some owners were upset when their cars came without fog lights (were on the list of items when they ordered) and Tesla agreed to retrofit. Perhaps the previous owner of your car just never bothered to inquire about the "missing" fog lights. Tesla should be able to tell, via the VIN, whether your car was eligible for the retrofit.

If you have the Tech Package, you should have profiles and memory seats. I don't recall a time when that was ever split out from the Package.

And it sounds like you have a defective rear view mirror. There is no ON/OFF switch (much to my wife's chagrin since she doesn't like the mirror dimmed and doesn't even use the manual dimmer on her other car at night). There really should be a switch like every other car has.

If you have the Tech Package, you should have profiles and memory seats. I don't recall a time when that was ever split out from the Package.

i think they screwed around with the profiles and memory seats too. included not included with the seat package with the tech package. something like that lol but I recall some owners being pissed they didnt get the profiles and memory seats too.

i think they screwed around with the profiles and memory seats too. included not included with the seat package with the tech package. something like that lol but I recall some owners being pissed they didnt get the profiles and memory seats too.

I seem to recall hearing reports that early vins with textile seats not having memory seats, but I can't recall if they had tech.

I have a 2013 non-tech 60.

I have lumbar, but not memorized per profile.
I have textile 8-way (12-way?) heated memory seats, memory steering wheel, but not memory side mirrors.
I have electrochromatic rearview mirror, but non-dimming non-folding side mirrors.
Oddly enough, I also have the upgraded interior lighting and lighted door handles.

Some of the earlier cars had the flip switch for the rearview. If you don't, Tesla needs to fix your electrochromatic operation.

Last edited:
I have contacted Tesla regarding the mirror my Vin is in my Signature

Will ask about the Fog lights and if I am eligible for a retrofit

But what concerns me is the product description of the Tech package on this car and what it included

and it clearly stated that it had everything including Memory seats, mirrors, and driver profile, no mention of fogs, but it did include ambient i[FONT=HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese, HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese_n5, HeiT ASC Traditional Chinese, HelveticaNeue-Regular, Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica]nterior lighting, and chrome inserts in the Frunk. The seats do not have heated functions, something I did want.[/FONT]

The rear view mirror does not have a switch to change over but does have an some type of sensor facing forward.

The car drives great, and Im very happy with it...just dont want to go back and drop it off and be with out it

Maybe previous owner retrofitted new seats or maybe they are just not working. But, the sig's have heated seats so it should work. I'm assuming you've tried pressing the seat button on the 17" at the bottom and 3,2,1 numbers appear showing the heat is on. Also, assuming you've pressed the driver profile button at the top of the 17" and configured profiles?

And here I thought the one sensor controlled all three mirrors. Learned something new today.

Actually, I think the sensors on the internal mirror do, in fact, control all three. The mirror has a forward facing sensor (for ambient light) and a rear facing sensor (to detect headlights from behind). When is's daytime and light outside, the mirror won't dim. If you hold your hand over the forward facing sensor on the back of the mirror for a minute or two, all three mirrors will begin to dim. It assumes it's dark out, but is sensing bright light "from behind". Try it and see for yourself.

I think the OP has a problem with the inside mirror's dimming ability, but the sensors are probably working fine.

What this points out, moreso than any other car perhaps, is that with Tesla S the huge variability and lack of record or definition of what "should be" on any given car means: buyer beware on the used market. The car is "as-is". You must look for and test every feature on the car before you make the deal. There's even variance of a particular feature... 'hill hold brakes' now has two possibilities: 2 second hold or "infinite" hold, your hardware determines which. This is the downside of fluid release updates.