Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires for RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A separate thread got me wondering, do any of you put winter tires on your RWD vehicles for heading into the mountains? I'm thinking specifically about heading up to Flagstaff or the Arizona Snowbowl. Would you go with winter tires or just carry chains? I imagine Snowbowl road can be challenging in the wrong conditions.. not sure how a RWD Tesla would handle it.

Yes, i put four winter tires on (don't even think of putting on just two). To be more accurate, I put Nokian WR-g3 severe service all-seasons on because i don't live where it's normally snowy. The problem with summer or three season all season tires and chains is that chains are a pain to put on so you don't put them on till you have to. Conditions that can't be managed by summer or three season all season tires can occur well before chains are mandatory.

The Norwegians seem to swear by Nokian Hakkinen's (bad spelling-sorry). And if anybody should know, I would think it would be them. I'm actually beginning to think that my max summer tires may not be able to handle the rains in CA. Hopefully a very wet year for us coming up. But I really don't want to buy a second set of tires. Used to when I lived in CT years ago.

I have used the Nokian Hakka 7's (studded) and then the Nokina Hakka R2's (non-studded) on my three-year old P85 (RWD) with great success in the mountains of Colorado. I highly recommend them. In the Nokian Hakka line, studs are highly over-rated. I would strongly recommend that you not get studded tires for a Tesla. The noise will drive you nuts, for marginal, if any, gain.

Enjoy your your Tesla in the mountains.

Here are two videos of Tesla with Nokian Hakka tires on my driveway in Pagosa Springs. The RWD P85 on the Hakkas does fine; the AWD P85D on Hakkas does great.

RWD P85 on Nokian Hakkas:

AWD P85D on Nokian Hakkas:

Last edited by a moderator: