Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else's Autopilot not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car "successfully" downloaded the 7.0 upgrade yesterday, but when it finished, it gave me a message saying Autosteer not available. Call Tesla. This is on a P85D, with all the appropriate hardware.

Called last night. Never heard back. Called this morning. They said they'd get back to me. Still waiting.

Am I the only one this happened to?

My car "successfully" downloaded the 7.0 upgrade yesterday, but when it finished, it gave me a message saying Autosteer not available. Call Tesla. This is on a P85D, with all the appropriate hardware.

Called last night. Never heard back. Called this morning. They said they'd get back to me. Still waiting.

Never heard this complaint before. Assume you tried rebooting both screens.

I also saw that message when I first turned on the car after the update and was pretty worried for a minute or so. However, I backed out of my garage, went into the settings to turn auto-pilot on, drove off, and it's been working perfectly since. I haven't seen that message show up again.

I also saw that message when I first turned on the car after the update and was pretty worried for a minute or so. However, I backed out of my garage, went into the settings to turn auto-pilot on, drove off, and it's been working perfectly since. I haven't seen that message show up again.

I had the same message too. I drove out of my driveway and tested Autopilot with no issues. I just haven't been able to get the parking working yet?

Jeff

I was unable to complete installation of the 7.0 firmware on my early model P85D. My car is currently at the Tesla SC and they've advised that the drive unit will need to be replaced to get AP working properly. It's a part inside of the driveunit that is incompatible and disassembling the drive unit is more expensive than replacing it. Ask them to pull the logs from your vehicle and they will be able to figure it out.

The loaner car that they provided has 7.0 / AP so I was able to finally use it today. It's pretty epic. As good as I hoped it would be.

Did you turn on Auto-Steer in your vehicle settings? Mine was defaulted to off after the update. I would assume you did, but just in case...

In my case, the auto-steer button and the other one (lane-keeping?) are greyed-out and off.
I have not taken the car out of the garage yet to see if that changes things.

I also noticed that the lane departure warning was now off, which I had on before the update. I turned it back on.

I had that too on Thursday. Used autosteer on the way to work that morning (for the first time), used it going to lunch. Way back to work from lunch "auto pilot not available call tesla". I didn't want to make a big deal of it with 3 coworkers in the car who would have said "oh look it's crashed already". But then parked, got out, went back in and it was ok. Haven't seen it since. Maybe it was a glitch. I probably shouldn't use "crash" when talking about autosteer software.

I enabled the autosteer, but as soon as I put the car in drive the autosteer grays out. On the dash I can see the picture of the steer also grayed out. Reboot did not help.
Autosteer won't be available to engage until you are driving and the display shows that it is recognizing the lane lines; you will see the lane lines displayed in grey. At that point you pull the cruise control stalk fully towards you twice in quick succession, then the Autopilot wheel icon will turn blue, the lane lines will change to blue, and the car will start steering on its on.

On the Settings screens, some options are "greyed out" if you are not in Park,
so that they cannot be changed while in a "driving" mode, probably for safety,
or the software just does not handle such a basic mode chance while "driving".

So, Install, Reboot both the touch screen and the dashboard, and check all settings ...
as a normal procedure to handle an update or revision. You never
really know what might have changed, improved, or developed a bug.

Thus, be cautious, thinking of SAFETY first.

Cheers, Gary

My girlfriend's car had the same issue today. She had downloaded 7.0 two days earlier. After re-booting twice, we called Tesla service as the displayed message suggested. They said they'd call back, and did soon thereafter. They scheduled a Monday service visit. A few minutes later they called back again with some suggestions which didn't resolve the problem. We then went to lunch and when we returned in an hour the message had disappeared and the autopilot worked just as it had prior to the problem. I'm assuming it was a temporary glitch.