Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel and seat vs central heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seat heaters use almost no energy. The main heater uses lots and lots of energy. I'd say around 6-8kW at full blast. Similar to what it takes to drive a steady 25mph on flat ground, no climate control. Seat heaters don't seem to even move the power meter.

Seat heaters use almost no energy. The main heater uses lots and lots of energy. I'd say around 6-8kW at full blast. Similar to what it takes to drive a steady 25mph on flat ground, no climate control. Seat heaters don't seem to even move the power meter.

So the electrics on board move the power meter up? I thought the Model S shows the consumption of power as "0kw" if the car is not moving, even if you have the heater and music w/subwoofer on full blast?

So the electrics on board move the power meter up? I thought the Model S shows the consumption of power as "0kw" if the car is not moving, even if you have the heater and music w/subwoofer on full blast?

Yes, everything (as far as I know), including heating and air show up on the power meter, even if the car isn't moving. The car has to be on (press the brake to turn car on) to see the consumption. If I'm in park I can even see the power meter move just turning on the lights. Can run the HVAC or other loads while the car is "off" and you wont see consumption.

What I really want is a heated steering wheel retrofit. The seat heaters are great and let me keep the car cooler, but my fingers get numb from the cold. That would be much more efficient than dialing up the heat from the HVAC.

You can definitely see the HVAC power usage on the dash—I was stopped at a light and noticed the kWh meter "bouncing" a little. Took a while to realize it was the HVAC running (A/C in my case) that caused it. You can turn on and off the climate controls to see the change.