Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is intended to promote discussion of Model X insurance issues, including costs and coverages.
Great idea. :) Also a point. I have insurance that allows me to transfer automatically upon purchase of new. So with people with that option, you'll be covered, but I guess something you might want to confirm before doing so. But once I check with mine, I'll put an update here.

There have been several indications that it might be gorilla glass. I wonder if the insurance companies even know what that is and factor that into their rates. Even though it's bigger, there is probably less chance of replacement it it really is gorilla glass. My BMW X5 is already a $1,400 windshield.

Won't the problem be that the insurance companies won't even have the Model X in their systems so they will give you a more "generic rate" based on the sale price?!? This has been my experience so far in trying to call ahead on this.

Some insurance companies use a 3rd parties system to get the rates and information about the car. It can be a few months out of date (ie. brand new vehicles and NOT even just a new MY/Model Year)

With all the discussion of the ginormous front windshield, I plan to ask my insurance company for an additional glass replacement rider.
No need for an "additional glass rider". Actually, there is no such thing. Glass coverage is part of Comprehensive and the only decision is how much, if any, deductible you choose.

I’m glad that you guys (KDSLC and mzpolo) have been successful in getting reliable quotes.

Consistent with ptsagcy‘s comment in post #11, my insurance company (Amica) was interested in the deductible, rather than any particular riders or coverages, such as for the windshield. Some good news for Florida drivers: I was told that if the only damage is to the windshield (and there is no other damage to the car), the deductible does not apply.

The company still wanted to deal in a “model year” for a Tesla.

Just got off the phone with USAA. USAA had the X in their info. The quote was very favorable. Remove a 2002 Toyota Forerunner and add the X as a secondary vehicle to the Mrs. and the end result is only a $46 increase every 6 months!
Very good news!

That's really surprising given the fact that your Forerunner is 13 years old and cost 1/4 of what the MX will cost. Did you have collision on the Forerunner? Did they quote both Comp and Coll on the MX? Just doesn't make sense.

That's really surprising given the fact that your Forerunner is 13 years old and cost 1/4 of what the MX will cost. Did you have collision on the Forerunner? Did they quote both Comp and Coll on the MX? Just doesn't make sense.

I've been pretty surprised also at how insurance costs work out. Adding the Roadster alongside of our Honda CRX - the Roadster barely costs more than the CRX (5 years old vs. 25ish, and $140k vs $10k new). Clearly the cost to insure is driven by much more than the cost to replace the car if it gets dinged up a little or a lot - it's driven by the damage to other stuff you might do, medical expenses, that sort of thing.

Hey - I'm not complaining. Especially if it works out similarly for Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to add - THIS is the sort of thread I've been looking forward to in the X forums for 3 years. This, and where people are finding the very best financing deals. I realize I can go over to the S forums and get the same info. Having this thread here makes it way more real.

dwebb66,
No, Amica did not give me a quote. However, I think we are on the brink. I don’t think they needed my VIN, rather any MX VIN. If so, this issue might be resolved almost immediately.

Paul Carter and adiggs, thanks for the kind words.

Sorry, been offline for a bit....

I too was surprised by the changes. I used a one for one swap take the Forerunner and the 24 year old driver off. Add the Model X as second car to wife (currently driving a Highlander). Same complete coverage for comprehensive and collision (500K, 1M) and $1000 deductible. To me, the major change, and the most likely reason for the near no change is the removal of a driver from the policy.

Sorry, been offline for a bit....

I too was surprised by the changes. I used a one for one swap take the Forerunner and the 24 year old driver off. Add the Model X as second car to wife (currently driving a Highlander). Same complete coverage for comprehensive and collision (500K, 1M) and $1000 deductible. To me, the major change, and the most likely reason for the near no change is the removal of a driver from the policy.

Now it makes a lot more sense. Taking the 24 yr old off should produce a substantial reduction, which was offset by the higher cost of the MX.

If Your Insurance Co Needs Any Model X VIN, Give 'em Elons!

dwebb66,
No, Amica did not give me a quote. However, I think we are on the brink. I don’t think they needed my VIN, rather any MX VIN. If so, this issue might be resolved almost immediately.

Paul Carter and adiggs, thanks for the kind words.

Well, then, you might as well give Amica Elon's VIN: :biggrin:

Elons Founder 1 Data Plate.jpg

Elons Founder 1 VIN Plate.jpg

If you'd rather provide a Signature VIN, then replace the last 'F' with an 'S'.
For Production VIN, replace the last 'F' with a 'P'.

Last edited: