Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you need paint protection...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

This is the bottom of my drivers side door after 8 months on Quebec roads. Not dirt or anything as I had just finished washing the car. Never been in gravel or anything but last winter was particularly brutal for road salt and abrasives. I thought a good coat of wax was ok but it clearly isn't. I'll be getting a wrap job soon.

Thanks Agloutney, Sorry for your marked car, but I have been vacillating about paint protection and coating, but finally deciding to get it done. I got my PD in Jan. I guess TO winters were a bit milder, but looks like it will be worth the extra 2 to 3K to get this done.

The bottom part is all chips. There's reflections on the top part above the ridged part. I had just finished washing it. I knew the paint was soft but this is ridiculous. I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with my particular paint job. Regardless, it's getting wrapped so it won't show.

Just did the main parts of my 2.5 year old CPO Sig at Advanced Automotive films in North Mississauga - Marco did a great job, although I should have had some touch-up paint for the hood ahead of time. It's good to know that how it looks now should be how it looks five years from now. It is a used car after all. :)

I'm a bit confused. If it's not "paint chips" (i.e., chips or damage to the paint) then it's what? If the paint underneath is intact, those marks are road salts that have adhered to the paint? Wouldn't a clay bar or powered buffer remove it as it's on top of the finish?

image.jpg

This is the bottom of my drivers side door after 8 months on Quebec roads. Not dirt or anything as I had just finished washing the car. Never been in gravel or anything but last winter was particularly brutal for road salt and abrasives. I thought a good coat of wax was ok but it clearly isn't. I'll be getting a wrap job soon.

Mine looks exactly the same. Except I have xpel wrap so all those little "nics" for me are in the film, not the paint. That said, my unprotected parts (windshield, headlights, fog lights) are absolutely destroyed.

I just got delivery of my 70D, and wanted to know if there is any recommend place to get the paint protection film installed in Ottawa?

My marketing firm in Ottawa uses Upper Class Detailing who also uses cQuartz Finest. On my end I had my front end done with Marco from Advanced Automotive and my cQuartz Finest done with GTA In Detail (they share a shop, or at least did when I brought them my cars a few years ago). I did what they recommended (full front clip and a few impact areas) and so far I am chip free, knock wood.

With a long freeway commute, the front end in particular of my past cars all looked like that. I bought the "factory" paint protection from Tesla when I ordered, but I should have just gone third-party after delivery. Some guy just came in and applied it after my car arrived in Toronto anyway, and didn't do a particularly good job. I have a couple of "bubbles" that they said would "go away" (didn't) and they only do about 1/3 of the hood. Guess where all the stones hit my hood?

The headlights and fog lights aren't covered on my car. The headlights still look like new, but the fog lights look like they've been lightly sand-blasted.

I just got delivery of my 70D, and wanted to know if there is any recommend place to get the paint protection film installed in Ottawa?
I had a full XPEL wrap done at Goldwing Auto Care when I got my car in December 2013. They did an excellent job and it still looks great, with no visible marks on the car anywhere. The only seams are at the crease of the trunk lid and on the backs of the mirrors, because the bends there were too tight to do it in one piece. I would recommend them, although they aren't cheap.

The best thing about a wrap is that it takes away the worrying every time you wash the car, brush snow off it, bump against it getting a snow shovel out of the garage, etc. Of course it's still possible to dent the car, but parking far from other cars has avoided door dings so far, and the XPEL can save the paint if it's just a small bump. And washing is easy because the dirt comes off easily and it's OK to rub a bit to get bugs off.

The film will collect bits of grit and brake dust over time, just like paint does. A claybar treatment every year or two takes care of that and brings the finish back to glassy-smooth.

I had a full XPEL wrap done at Goldwing Auto Care when I got my car in December 2013. They did an excellent job and it still looks great, with no visible marks on the car anywhere. The only seams are at the crease of the trunk lid and on the backs of the mirrors, because the bends there were too tight to do it in one piece. I would recommend them, although they aren't cheap.

The best thing about a wrap is that it takes away the worrying every time you wash the car, brush snow off it, bump against it getting a snow shovel out of the garage, etc. Of course it's still possible to dent the car, but parking far from other cars has avoided door dings so far, and the XPEL can save the paint if it's just a small bump. And washing is easy because the dirt comes off easily and it's OK to rub a bit to get bugs off.

The film will collect bits of grit and brake dust over time, just like paint does. A claybar treatment every year or two takes care of that and brings the finish back to glassy-smooth.
How much was it?

1. Think very hard about owning a black car in a harsh driving environment.
2. you live in a VERY harsh driving environment

Here in sunny California that would never happen. I've never wrapped a car. My wife's 4 yr old black/black Land Rover looks like new paint, albeit black paint is a pain in the ass to keep free of swirls. I can see how you might want a wrap in cold places.

I'll be buying my car soon, hopefully for Spring? I want to coat my car as soon as i get it, any recommended places in BC/AB? Cost?

Ken Wilson @ Autowerkes Exclusive
He does the work on Tesla's test drive vehicles and many of the new deliveries in Vancouver. He did half Xpel and full Opticoat on my car. He books up several weeks ahead, so if you're interested, call him once you have a delivery date. Shop is in Maple Ridge.
autowerkesexclusive.com

He also posts some good photos on Facebook, under "Autowerkes Exclusive"