Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Name for the pedal on the right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that in just about every thread and in every EV review, people have been having difficulty referring to the pedal on the right.

In the past, that pedal was the "gas" pedal or the accelerator.

In EV's, I've seen many names given to that pedal. The EV market is in its infancy, and we have an opportunity to give it the name WE want.

I've heard people refer to the pedal on the right in an EV as the "accelerator" or the "go pedal." The problem is that these are no more descriptive since the pedal on the right is also the regen brake. So, it is really an accelerator/decelerator pedal.

Having started this thread, you'd think I would have a good suggestion for a name, but sorry that is not the case. I just think we all need to get behind one good name, then let the rest of the world follow. But since I hate people who point out problems but don't suggest solutions, I will make one suggestion for what it is worth.

I am going to suggest that from now on, we refer to the pedal on the right as... (wait for it - drum roll)
The AC/DC pedal. (cymbal crash)

I knew it wasn't great, but it is better than "go pedal" or "accelerator." Perhaps another option would be to call it the "accel/decel pedal."

People write in your suggestions, and lets get behind something. This is our chance to have a real impact on the lexicon for the future.

Really, I see no problem with "gas" pedal. It no longer is really thought of as pumping gasoline, but it's more synonymous with "go". "Give it some gas" as they say. It's not uncommon for commonly used phrases to stick around, even though their original meaning is out of date.

Totally agreed, AnOutsider. It's hard to change the name once it's embedded in the culture. I happen to like "give it some gas" or "hit the gas".

A few years ago Sky & Telescope magazine had a contest to come up with a better name for the "Big Bang" theory, because (a) that term is not at all descriptive of the actual event, and (b) that term was originally coined by an opponent of the theory! Final result after all the debate: "Big Bang".