Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Recycling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several people have asked me what Tesla is planning when it comes to the eventual need for battery recycling. I know that the higher quality used batteries can be selected out and repackaged for use as grid storage but most if not all batteries will eventually need to be recycled. How do you see this being handled?

I think the batteries and the management systems are designed very well and should hopefully last the life of the car. For cases we are seeing now, e.g. batteries out of crashed cars, I think grid storage is a great opportunity to use the salvaged and reconditioned batteries. Once they've reached their end of life, then they should absolutely be recycled.

More here (grid usage is not mentioned): Tesla's Closed Loop Battery Recycling Program | Tesla Motors

I'm guessing very few battery packs will be reused for grid storage. Most consumers and businesses will only take used parts at a substantial discount. Also the Powerwall and larger commercial versions use different cell chemistry and likely larger cells than Model S.

Tesla has stated that the battery packs are designed to be used in stationary applications when the usable car life is over. After that they are 99% recyclable. My estate is 10-15 years in a car and 20 years in stationary before recycle.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Tesla 85 (and up) have a warranty that covers the battery and drive train till 2021, no mileage limit.
The battery on mine after two years and 60000 km is like-new, well over 400 km of "rated" range.

There are thousands of members here, some of whom have updated a global spreadsheet of battery information (car mileage, maximum charge range, replacements if any) and the graphs produced are insightful, showing very low degradation of the battery, and very small battery repairs. Tesla repairs by opening the pack, replacing specific parts and giving the same pack back.

The battery cells are good for thousands of full charge/discharge cycles till they hold 80%, at 400 km range, that is up to a million km!

I think the batteries and the management systems are designed very well and should hopefully last the life of the car. For cases we are seeing now, e.g. batteries out of crashed cars, I think grid storage is a great opportunity to use the salvaged and reconditioned batteries. Once they've reached their end of life, then they should absolutely be recycled.

More here (grid usage is not mentioned): Tesla's Closed Loop Battery Recycling Program | Tesla Motors

Thanks. That is just what I was looking for.

And if you had read through the presentation of the battery gigafactory back when they were shopping it around to various states, you would see that it includes a facility for intake and recycling of the battery packs. That's probably not built in this initial first stage of the construction, though.

• Informative
the Chinese are the technology leaders for li ion battery recycling, but that raises issues of exporting waste to other countries.
(The Chinese recycle nearly the entire cell, with a process that is capable of mixed li ion chemistries, they are 10-20 years ahead of the rest of the world.) BRUNP—Waste batteries cycling expert

but otherwise, Li ion recycling is best actioned by the original li ion cathode manufacturer, that also leads to all the profits going to that entity, its a cost otherwise. So its not a good business for normal recyclers.
As it stands, Tesla's pack will probably last the life of the car, so unless the car is totaled...
In China, the recyclers would pay Tesla for their packs, in USA/EU Tesla pays recyclers to take their packs.

unless the modules are damaged, its probably best to reuse them (instead of recycle) in some stationary application, similar to Nissan's 4R energy 会社案内 | è“„é›»æ±*ãªã‚‰ãƒ•ã‚©ãƒ¼ã‚¢ãƒ¼ãƒ«ã‚¨ãƒŠã‚¸ãƒ¼æ*ªå¼ä¼šç¤¾

Last edited:
  • Informative