Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for planning a Victorian ski trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just thought I'd bounce a few ideas around. I'm planning on going to the snow in a few weekends' time and need to do some planning as the infrastructure is still pretty thin on the ground unfortunately. I'm thinking Mt Buller but could go anywhere. I haven't organised any accommodation at all at this time and charging will have to factor into it. I haven't been to the Victorian ski fields much at all so don't know much about the setup.

My initial, safest, plan is to drive to Mansfield on a Thursday evening and stay somewhere with access to a power outlet. I'll just charge the car overnight with the UMC and my rough calculations suggest that I should be OK with enough charge left to get back home on Sunday evening. I'd prefer to stay on the mountains but I suspect that there's nowhere suitable to park and charge.

Does anyone have any clever suggestions or ideas about the best way to do this? Does anyone know of suitable accommodation? Are there any owners in the area with a 40A charger that I could have a chat with? Are there better options going to Falls Creek or Mount Hotham? Should I just fly to NZ for a few days???

Hi all,

Just thought I'd bounce a few ideas around. I'm planning on going to the snow in a few weekends' time and need to do some planning as the infrastructure is still pretty thin on the ground unfortunately. I'm thinking Mt Buller but could go anywhere. I haven't organised any accommodation at all at this time and charging will have to factor into it. I haven't been to the Victorian ski fields much at all so don't know much about the setup.

My initial, safest, plan is to drive to Mansfield on a Thursday evening and stay somewhere with access to a power outlet. I'll just charge the car overnight with the UMC and my rough calculations suggest that I should be OK with enough charge left to get back home on Sunday evening. I'd prefer to stay on the mountains but I suspect that there's nowhere suitable to park and charge.

Does anyone have any clever suggestions or ideas about the best way to do this? Does anyone know of suitable accommodation? Are there any owners in the area with a 40A charger that I could have a chat with? Are there better options going to Falls Creek or Mount Hotham? Should I just fly to NZ for a few days???

have you seen that there's a destination charger at dinner plain? Closer to Hotham than Falls Creek though.

Rundells Alpine Lodge | Tesla Motors Australia

Rundells Alpine Lodge
12 Big Munster Drive
Dinner Plain VIC 3898
+61 3 5159 6422

it's down as patrons only. Not sure if the location is convenient or not to you. I've never skied there either so can't comment on terrain/snow/facilities either.

I'd suggest calling your favourite lodge and telling them of the benefits they could see form installing a charger themselves.

Yeah, I wouldn't be prepared to get there on a single 85kWh charge. Once the Seymour supercharger is in place maybe, but that's a really big hop on one charge.

I don't have a favourite lodge as I've rarely skied in Victoria.

have you seen that there's a destination charger at dinner plain? Closer to Hotham than Falls Creek though.

Rundells Alpine Lodge | Tesla Motors Australia

Rundells Alpine Lodge
12 Big Munster Drive
Dinner Plain VIC 3898
+61 3 5159 6422

it's down as patrons only. Not sure if the location is convenient or not to you. I've never skied there either so can't comment on terrain/snow/facilities either.

I'd suggest calling your favourite lodge and telling them of the benefits they could see form installing a charger themselves.

Hi all,

Before I changed plans to Dinner Plain, I was intending to try Mt Buller. My plan at the time was to leave the car in Mansfield at the Mansfield Mt Buller Bus Lines car park and take their bus up. I'd arranged with them to be able to plug the car in while it was there. That might still be an option for you?

In case Hotham/Dinner Plain appeals, my current plan is via Wangaratta with a charging stop for a few hours (plugshare Tesla owner there) then on to Harrietville and leave the car at Hoy's security car park. They are also kindly offering to have the car on charge while it's there. Only real issue with this is combined distance/time pressure to make the bus departure from Harrietville, but worst case would be an overnight stop and catch the bus first thing the next morning.

Alternative I'm examining is via Bairnsdale (another owner there that I'm trying to contact about charging possibilities) then drive right up to Dinner Plain. Tighter distance pressures plus need for chains etc are making this less attractive, although it does have the advantage of being able to take as long as I like to get there.

If you go to Falls/Hotham you are welcome to use my 40A charger that is 10km from Bright. Can't help you with Buller though, Tesla really need to look at superchargers in mansfield and Bright next year after the Melbourne-Brissy rollout has completed

That is a very kind offer. Thankyou.
I'm leaning towards Mansfield/Buller at the moment though. I think I'll stay in Mansfield and drive up each day. Mansfield/Bright superchargers would be so so awesome.

If I decide going via Bright is the way to go I'll find a way to get in touch though.

I'll report my experience back here, but hopefully superchargers will make the info irrelevant sooner rather than later.

Alright, I have booked accommodation in Mansfield at a place that has undercover parking with access to a power outlet. I will report back to let everyone know how it works out. Hopefully there are no embarrassing tales of being towed back to Melbourne!

Best of luck! My Dinner Plain trip is a couple of weeks off and via Bairnsdale has now emerged as my preferred option, provided there's no chance of having to fit chains! :)

Well I actually did my trip to Buller a couple of weekends ago and thought I should get around to sharing a little info for those who are interested.

Prior to going I put the roofracks on. I have the ones that Tesla sell and the guys at the service centre in Richmond actually put them on for me! I don't think it's too tricky but watching them I realised that it really is a 2 person job and I would have been risking scratches by trying to put them on by myself. I did put Thule ski/snowboard carriers on the top by myself which was pretty easy. My ski bindings actually contacted the pano-roof when they were in the roof racks and it was tricky to close the ski holders without feeling like I was putting pressure on the roof. I could only get them in with the tips of the skis facing forward which seems aerodynamically irresponsible but probably makes very little difference. I put a cloth between the roof and the bindings to prevent scratches. I think I will have to look for different ski carriers for future use as the convex roof of the Tesla leaves less clearance than my previous car. My Thule ones don't seem to close very reliably anyway (which I will get to later).

There were only 2 in the car - myself and my 4-year-old daughter - so I could have put the skis in the car, but I wanted to get an idea of how they affect the range for reference for future trips.

I headed off on a Thursday evening (13th) at about 7.30pm after charging to 100%. I actually charged to 100% the night before then re-charged at 40A after getting home from work. A full charge in my car is an ever so slightly disappointing 388km typical range.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I arrived in Mansfield a little after 10pm (stopped to eat on the way) with 152km range left. So 236km range to cover 186km. Not too bad given I have skis on the roof, the heater at 20 degrees, my seat warmer on, and a 280m elevation gain. Just prior to arriving in Mansfield, the car gave me a 'point of no return' warning to let me know I was heading out of range of known charging points to allow me to get home again. Fortunately I had arranged accommodation in Mansfield with access to a power outlet so plugged in straight away and went to bed.

IMG_3843.PNG

The next morning I headed off just before 8am with 256km in the electron tank and set off to conquer Mt Buller.

IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3847.JPG

It's 45km from Mansfield to the Mt Buller day car park. When I arrived I had 160km range left so had used 96km of range to get up the mountain (gulp). Getting up the mountain was so easy in the Model S. It climbs like there's nothing there. I was behaving of course because I didn't want to use range unnecessarily.

IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG
IMG_3854.JPG

At the end of the day I headed back home. The vampires stole 7km of range while I was parked! I had the power saving on, but with always connected ticked. Also, I realised later that I had left Visible Tesla running on my Mac Mini back home (oops) so that probably accounted for some of the loss. I had no way of turning that off remotely either. Starting with 153km of range I headed back to Mansfield. By the time I was at the bottom of Mt Buller I had increased my range to 162km! Mt Buller is a giant gravity battery! Interestingly the battery meter didn't show a gradual accumulation of charge. It just stayed at 153km for ages then jumped up all of a sudden. Almost like it didn't quite believe what was happening. The trip back to Mansfield is also gradually downhill so I got back with 138km of range left. To summarise; 96km up, 7km vampire, 15km down, 118km total (with heating on and skis on the roof remember). Check out the regen on the energy graph!

IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG

I plugged in straight away and left the car until morning. As I had several hours extra charging compared with the night before I was able to get quite a bit more charge back. The next morning (Saturday) I woke up to 300km of range! Starting to feel a lot more comfortable about things now.
I headed back up and down and had much the same experience. Charged again overnight and on Sunday morning woke up to 344km of range! I wasn't going to be able to charge again so this was going to have to see me home.

IMG_3875.JPG

Before heading up Mt Buller I actually had to take my ski carrier off the roof rack. The latch on one side wouldn't close properly (I need to take it back for a warranty claim) so I took it off entirely and put the skis in the car. The roof rack stayed on. I only spent the morning up the mountain as my daughter was getting very tired and cranky and headed back down a little bit after 2pm with 249km range left for a 228km drive. I had to stop back in Mansfield to drop off my daughter's hire skis. At this point I had 239km range remaining so I was starting to feel very comfortable. The trip meter was predicting 14% battery left at the end of the journey and so far I was doing better than predicted. Time to crank everything to 11 and head home.

IMG_3889.JPG
IMG_3890.JPG

On the way home it was pretty obvious that I wasn't going to have any trouble with range. After 3 days of gentle driving I began to test the range of the accelerator again with some spirited overtaking (man it's fun overtaking in this car!). Once I was back in Melbourne and dealing with traffic lights I was able to enjoy the experience of leaving the traffic behind me again.

I made it home with 47km of range left. Heaps of margin for error.

IMG_3892.JPG
IMG_3891.JPG

My summary of this trip is that the Model S managed it very comfortably with no special charging infrastructure in place. If I had gone for less than 3 days things might have been different as I wouldn't have accumulated enough charge to get up the mountain and back to Melbourne in one go. I would either have to leave earlier in the day on the first day to allow more time for charging or leave the car charging in Mansfield and take the bus up on one of the days. If there was access to a 40A charger in Mansfield there would be no problem at all. If there was a supercharger in Mansfield there would really really be no problem at all. There is nowhere up on Mt Buller to charge and I don't see this changing any time soon. The few covered parking spots at the accommodation are only really available to owners.

Anyway, I hope this has been of interest to people. Let me know if there are any details I have left out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rawbznz
Great write up. I assume you were just charging off a 10A standard GPO overnight?

Yep. 10A only. It was a good 10A though. The voltage was reported as 250V and the car was reporting 11km/hr charging rate. If it had been 230V it might have been a different story. I charged for about 40 hours in total. 8% less range gain could have been significant.

- - - Updated - - -

So do people think I can claim a trophy for first EV trip to a ski-field in Australia? Or does anyone know of someone who's beaten me. It is a bit late in the season...

Yep. 10A only. It was a good 10A though. The voltage was reported as 250V and the car was reporting 11km/hr charging rate. If it had been 230V it might have been a different story. I charged for about 40 hours in total. 8% less range gain could have been significant.

- - - Updated - - -

So do people think I can claim a trophy for first EV trip to a ski-field in Australia? Or does anyone know of someone who's beaten me. It is a bit late in the season...
I've technically beaten you by driving to Mt Buffalo although as i did it when there was no snow you can happily be the first to drive to an Australian ski field when there's snow!

- - - Updated - - -

I did go up to Dinner Plain the week before, and the Bairnsdale owner who's place I charged at has been up there many times, so I expect not I'm afraid :) BTW if anyone is interested I'm happy to post about our Dinner Plain trip.

11856511_10205779362576431_3359008748894458873_o.jpg

Please tell us all about your trip - charge start/end, km traveled, etc.

Ok I'll be brief as I didn't do extensive documentation of the trip and can't do an awesome detailed writeup like gizmonty's.

A lot of effort went in to the planning of the trip (which was kinda fun) because I knew it was going to be tight. The final decision to drive up the back way via Omeo only arose once I had the very generous offer from Nick in Bairnsdale to charge at his place on the way. The advantage of this route was that even though it was longer I had no particular time pressure and could potentially drive all the way up to the lodge (weather permitting). The alternative of going via Bright would have meant leaving the car in Harrietville and having to make a bus schedule (no way I was putting chains on and driving up the Hotham road).

EVTP was estimating 277 RKM, 48.1 kWh, 175 Wh/km from Melbourne to Bairnsdale (281 actual km, hmm). The car itself told me I could make it about 40km past Bairnsdale (by trial and error of destinations as it would always route me to the Richmond superchargers first).

Both turned out to be pretty optimistic. After charging to 100% and an initial indicated 10% remaining at destination, almost immediately after we set out we got the 'drive slowly to reach your destination' and the estimate dropped to about 7%. It then proceeded to fluctuate up and down (mostly down!) so we kept strictly to the speed limit until we reached the 110kmh sections where we stayed at 100kmh to hopefully gain some range margin. Things climbed back up a little and even reached 10% again briefly. Nonetheless we rolled in to Bairnsdale with a cool 3% remaining (this dropped a lot right near the end so may have been inaccurate). Greater than 0 though so I was happy :)

Actual indicated usage was 54.7 kWh, 189 Wh/km, almost 7kWh more than EVTP's estimate despite not going at the full speed limit for some of the way.

After a very loooong 6 hours in Bairnsdale having brunch, coffee, a wander, more coffee, afternoon tea, more wandering, coffee, and some wine and cheese (Bairnsdale luckily does have a few nice places!) we headed off up to Dinner Plain.

As I'd fully charged just to be sure, I wasn't particularly careful from Bairnsdale to Omeo, and the road gave me a chance to have a bit of fun with the car for the first time. It handled things very nicely and the auto high-beam was great for letting you concentrate on keeping on the windy road. Once past Omeo we settled back down to conservative driving, as the real power-sapping climb starts from there and the possibility of icy road conditions becomes an issue.

The road was clear all the way up (we knew) but I was actually slightly disappointed I wouldn't get a chance to try it on a bit of snow, after having watched every video I could find about how well the RWD Model S handles snow (about as well as most normal AWDs, apparently).

So we arrived uneventfully at the door of the lodge, passed the UMC cable through a bathroom window and the car sat there happily charging the next 3 days whilst I proceeded to dislocate my shoulder 15 minutes in to the first morning.

IMAG0216.jpg

Total usage Bairnsdale to Omeo: 45.7kWh, 274 Wh/km over 164km (cf EVTP estimate of 36.9 kWh, but I didn't try to conserve power a lot).

The trip home started very easily, all downhill :) Didn't bother to take note of what we used unfortunately, as I knew it wasn't an issue and we'd have to fully charge in Bairnsdale to get home anyway.

After a somewhat shorter cycle of eating and drinking whilst charging we headed for Melbourne with an initial indication of 15% remaining at destination. This seemed highly improbable given the 3% we'd arrived with from the other direction, and we were now heading in to any prevailing winds.

Sure enough within minutes this dropped to 10%, then 5% and then about 50km in we got this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Not particularly concerned at this point as I knew we had options like Chadstone if we really fell short, so just dropped our speed by 5kmh and kept going, watching the estimate at destination slowly creep back up until we arrived at Richmond with a good 7-8% left. Easy!

So that was about it. Not so brief in the end but two final interesting things to note. Firstly driving at 95kmh on 100kmh stretches and 100 on 110s we expected to be passed by everything on the road. Not so, the vast majority of people were more than happy to sit behind us and cruise. Secondly, despite the reduced speed our ETA at destination (and actual arrival time) pushed out from what was indicated at the start by a whole 5 minutes. Over 3 hours.

And it was the most relaxing long distance driving I can recall ever doing.

Last edited:
Ok I'll be brief as I didn't do extensive documentation of the trip and can't do an awesome detailed writeup like gizmonty's.

A lot of effort went in to the planning of the trip (which was kinda fun) because I knew it was going to be tight. The final decision to drive up the back way via Omeo only arose once I had the very generous offer from Nick in Bairnsdale to charge at his place on the way. The advantage of this route was that even though it was longer I had no particular time pressure and could potentially drive all the way up to the lodge (weather permitting). The alternative of going via Bright would have meant leaving the car in Harrietville and having to make a bus schedule (no way I was putting chains on and driving up the Hotham road).

EVTP was estimating 277 RKM, 48.1 kWh, 175 Wh/km from Melbourne to Bairnsdale (281 actual km, hmm). The car itself told me I could make it about 40km past Bairnsdale (by trial and error of destinations as it would always route me to the Richmond superchargers first).

Both turned out to be pretty optimistic. After charging to 100% and an initial indicated 10% remaining at destination, almost immediately after we set out we got the 'drive slowly to reach your destination' and the estimate dropped to about 7%. It then proceeded to fluctuate up and down (mostly down!) so we kept strictly to the speed limit until we reached the 110kmh sections where we stayed at 100kmh to hopefully gain some range margin. Things climbed back up a little and even reached 10% again briefly. Nonetheless we rolled in to Bairnsdale with a cool 3% remaining (this dropped a lot right near the end so may have been inaccurate). Greater than 0 though so I was happy :)

Actual indicated usage was 54.7 kWh, 189 Wh/km, almost 7kWh more than EVTP's estimate despite not going at the full speed limit for some of the way.

After a very loooong 6 hours in Bairnsdale having brunch, coffee, a wander, more coffee, afternoon tea, more wandering, coffee, and some wine and cheese (Bairnsdale luckily does have a few nice places!) we headed off up to Dinner Plain.

As I'd fully charged just to be sure, I wasn't particularly careful from Bairnsdale to Omeo, and the road gave me a chance to have a bit of fun with the car for the first time. It handled things very nicely and the auto high-beam was great for letting you concentrate on keeping on the windy road. Once past Omeo we settled back down to conservative driving, as the real power-sapping climb starts from there and the possibility of icy road conditions becomes an issue.

The road was clear all the way up (we knew) but I was actually slightly disappointed I wouldn't get a chance to try it on a bit of snow, after having watched every video I could find about how well the RWD Model S handles snow (about as well as most normal AWDs, apparently).

So we arrived uneventfully at the door of the lodge, passed the UMC cable through a bathroom window and the car sat there happily charging the next 3 days whilst I proceeded to dislocate my shoulder 15 minutes in to the first morning.

Total usage Bairnsdale to Omeo: 45.7kWh, 274 Wh/km over 164km (cf EVTP estimate of 36.9 kWh, but I didn't try to conserve power a lot).

The trip home started very easily, all downhill :) Didn't bother to take note of what we used unfortunately, as I knew it wasn't an issue and we'd have to fully charge in Bairnsdale to get home anyway.

After a somewhat shorter cycle of eating and drinking whilst charging we headed for Melbourne with an initial indication of 15% remaining at destination. This seemed highly improbable given the 3% we'd arrived with from the other direction, and we were now heading in to any prevailing winds.

Sure enough within minutes this dropped to 10%, then 5% and then about 50km in we got this:

Not particularly concerned at this point as I knew we had options like Chadstone if we really fell short, so just dropped our speed by 5kmh and kept going, watching the estimate at destination slowly creep back up until we arrived at Richmond with a good 7-8% left. Easy!

So that was about it. Not so brief in the end but two final interesting things to note. Firstly driving at 95kmh on 100kmh stretches and 100 on 110s we expected to be passed by everything on the road. Not so, the vast majority of people were more than happy to sit behind us and cruise. Secondly, despite the reduced speed our ETA at destination (and actual arrival time) pushed out from what was indicated at the start by a whole 5 minutes. Over 3 hours.

And it was the most relaxing long distance driving I can recall ever doing.

Thanks Lennier. Once again great informative stuff for real world use. Invaluable. A brave trip for a 60 I would have thought, but no, you just managed the situation like a pro.
Where would you think the best spot/s for a Supercharger would be in the Gippsland area?

Thanks Lennier. Once again great informative stuff for real world use. Invaluable. A brave trip for a 60 I would have thought, but no, you just managed the situation like a pro.
Where would you think the best spot/s for a Supercharger would be in the Gippsland area?

Thanks Brewster. Didn't really see the trip as brave at all. Sure it was tight and so margins for the unexpected were small, but if there are no time pressures then such things aren't a real concern. You can gain a significant amount of extra range by slowing down, and worst case you might find yourself sitting on the UMC somewhere to ensure you make it, but power is everywhere! When we originally thought of taking this route I was thinking of it as a leisurely trip over two days with an overnight somewhere like Paynesville to get enough charge off 10A to make it on day 2. 'Sprinting' it in 1 day was only possible thanks to Nick.

A supercharger around Bairnsdale would obviously be great for this trip, and also for people coming from Gippsland direction heading up to the alps. The problem is you really need another between there and Melbourne which might be too closely spaced for Tesla's liking. But if you go much past Bairnsdale (to allow more spacing for an intermediate SC) the back-tracking starts to make the distance to Dinner Plain/Hotham a stretch. So in an ideal world I'd suggest we'd want SCs around Morwell (junction of highway down to Leongatha/Inverloch), Bairnsdale and say Genoa to complete a 'coastal' link east to NSW.

Of course i have to declare my self interest in this but it seems to make more sense to place 1 supercharger in Bright, This would service Hotham, Falls and Buffalo with enough in reserve for 60s as well as 70s and 85s and ties in well with the Hume chargers. Alternatively Omeo allows access to Falls via the back road (although the High Plains Road is often closed all winter) as well as Hotham.