Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 60 to 90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla website say that the $3,000 90Kw upgrade is only for the 85Kw battery. I would think it would be possible to purchase the new 90Kw battery and replace your 60Kw battery. Probably very expensive.

I just got my S85D 6 weeks ago and wish I had the option when I purchased it to get the 90Kw battery. :-(

afaik the answer is No.
Tesla have stated you cannot upgrade one model to another.

If you think about it, it is a complete minefield for Tesla to manage exchanging used parts of unknown condition, plus there are undoubtedly many other items than just the battery to switch out, plus I believe Tesla do consider protecting existing owners of higher performance models.

Sell and re-buy a higher spec model would be just as cost effective anyway.

afaik the answer is No.

There's a post on here somewhere that talks about an owner who bought a 60 and upgraded it to a P85, with the cost of upgrading from a 60 to an 85 battery pack being about $18k (cost of 85 battery - value of 60 battery). They then paid to have the drivetrain replaced with the Performance one, so it is possible. Things that are not possible are upgrading from Single motor to Dual motor and adding Autopilot. But from everything I've read, most things are possible, it's just the cost that owners have to consider.

afaik the answer is No.

If you think about it, it is a complete minefield for Tesla to manage exchanging used parts of unknown condition, plus there are undoubtedly many other items than just the battery to switch out, plus I believe Tesla do consider protecting existing owners of higher performance models.

Sell and re-buy a higher spec model would be just as cost effective anyway.

Used parts of unknown condition? Tesla certainly knows what condition the car's battery is in better than the owner does, with the way the cars always phone home. There's no reason they couldn't pull logs to get an updated status when a customer requests a quote, and then quote them a price based on the actual condition of the pack, if they chose to.

I'm not sure what else you're thinking would be switched out - the motors and inverters are the same, likewise the charger modules. You might need a firmware update, but all the components that need changing are in the battery pack assembly.

I'm also not sure what protection you think higher performance model owners need here - buying the lower spec car and the battery upgrade will certainly be more expensive than buying the higher spec car, without and manipulation of the pack price by Tesla.

My guess is that once the Gigafactory gets rolling you'll see Tesla embracing this extra business - until then they don't want to trade car sales for battery sales.
Walter