Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Acceleration and Performance Statistics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know the 0 to 60 times are amazingly impressive for a sedan. How about skid pad, slalom, Dyno HP and real-world acceleration tests 30-50, 50-70, 0-100 etc. To be most helpful, given this is a battery-powered vehicle, these tests would be to be performed at various levels of charge.

Usually the magazines, forum enthusiasts and tuners have run these tests by now. Can anyone here on the forum point me to the usual performance metrics and test results typically reported in car reviews?

Did you do any research on your own? It was unclear because you didn't post any that you found or what effort you actually put in yourself.

I did a quick google search and found some. C&D, MotorTrend, DragTimes

Last edited:
Did you do any research on your own? It was unclear because you didn't post any that you found or what effort you actually put in yourself.

I did a quick google search and found some. C&D, MotorTrend, DragTimes

I have searched this forum and the magazines you suggested. I have yet to find a comprehensive report especially comparing performance at different levels of charge and the various acceleration metrics.

If you do a google search on "Tesla Road Test" you will come up with some nice results.

Here is a link to the Car & Driver test which was recently performed on the Tesla 70D... 2015 Tesla Model S 70D Instrumented Test Car and Driver

And here is the P85D Road Test from the same publication... 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Drive Car and Driver

And here is the P85D Road Test from Road & Track... Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60

And let us not forget Motor Trend's efforts... 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend

And then, for the nostalgic... The P85+ Road Test and Extended Use series from Motor Trend... 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Arrival - Motor Trend

It has been my opinion that at times the web versions of the various Road Tests are not as complete as the printed versions.
Maybe I am not correct in this regard. I have always found that the big three US Magazines when results are combined provide a good picture.
Road & Track has always been held by me to be one of the best. I was a sucker for the side on mechanical drawing of the auto being tested, I will admit that.
It is pretty amazing how well these Web Search Engines work... ;-) That said, I do feel there should be a sticky thread devoted to this topic somewhere on the Forum.

Last edited:
Just tried the "Dynolicious Fusion" app on my iPhone yesterday. This app is supposed to be one of the best mobile-based dynos on the market...
Test performed with my brand new P85D (delivered on last Monday), flat road, 19'' tires, 91% SOC.
See the screenshots below for the results. So far, so good!
I will certainly do some more tests in the next few days... and I'll let you know.

IMG_8928.PNG

IMG_8927.JPG

Fun but there are a few things that are really wrong with that graph.

First, if we're to believe that peak hp was at the point you let off the throttle, then you should have run it up to a higher speed because in theory you probably let off before hitting peak.

That said, peak power on a P85D with a 90% SOC occurs right at 44 MPH when the battery is pulling 414KW for a brief moment before starting a very gradual taper that is almost flat but not quite. It climbs very rapidly to 402 by 33 MPH, then gradually rises to 414 by 44 MPH and by 74 MPH is back down to 409(very gradual taper).

This is REST api matches this graph exactly produced by an instrumented VBOX run with a roof top GPS antenna:

65SOC0to60.jpg

This run was done at 65% SOC. I haven't had a chance yet to do them at higher SOCs because I was on a long 4th of july trip and then dropped the car off for service immediately after that. Peak hp is 455 at 44 mph matching exactly when it occurs from the REST data as well.

Also, what weight did you use? I'm using the published curb weight 4630 + 200 (my self). This could be off. However even if it's off by 30 lbs, it would almost have no effect on the result. Still, I plan to get it weighed at a racing shop in the next few weeks to really make sure. The thing that makes it more uncertain with an ICE car is that the published curb weights are dry, so you need to weigh the car with fluids and gas in order to be accurate. The Tesla, though, won't change. However, they may only provide curb weight for the P85D with a specific option set and things like pano roof or no pano roof will make a small difference as will the presence or absence of the subwoofer of the premium sound system. So it's still going to be necessary to weigh the P85D if we want to get as close as possible but even if we don't, we'll be with 1% or so.

A few other things. The REST API's KW reading vs what was measured to the ground shows a loss of a mere 10%. Normally, drivetrain loss is calculated from the motor shaft to the wheels. A rear wheel drive car is typically about 15% if you dyno in the 1:1 gear which is typically 4th gear. An all wheel drive car is typically 20 to 25% given that it has to go through many more drivetrain components such as transfer case, an extra differential, 1 extra drive shaft, and two extra half shafts.

So seeing only 10% total loss from the battery through the DC-DC converter, through the motors, through the reduction gear, through the open diffs, and finally the half shafts is truly remarkable but not totally unexpected since this is still a lot less stuff to get through than any typical AWD drive.

- - - Updated - - -

If this holds consistent, then when I repeat it again in 10% increments it should show 503 hp estimated at the wheels with a 90% SOC which is not too far off your graph but your graph doesn't show the right shape of power curve matching the battery discharge rate.

My understanding is that Dynolicious is good at measuring acceleration time and g's, but not hp (this is, btw, what is being said on several forums).
That said, I found it quite interesting to see that the 0-60mph and all other acceleration times are extremely consistent with, for instance, the Road&Track test.
Same thing with the g's.

Yes, 0-60 times are quite consistent and right on with what Tesla claims provided you use the 1 ft rollout rule. Most manufacturers claims are very hard to achieve requiring professional race car drivers to obtain the speced results and even then taking many attempts.

With the P85D, Grandma can hit 0-60 in 3.1 seconds on the first try.

That said, I do feel there should be a sticky thread devoted to this topic somewhere on the Forum.

I also think that a sticky dedicated to performance statistics would be helpful.

I have looked at the suggested articles but have yet to see a consolidated review of the performance parameters. Most absence at this point appears to be basic passing type acceleration numbers, much less at various levels of charge. Slalom numbers would be interesting as well.

A dedicated spreadsheet with all sorts and manner of performance statistics updated to reflect various test reports and reviews as they become available may help address the various issues and threads relating to performance.

Also, what weight did you use? I'm using the published curb weight 4630 + 200 (my self). This could be off. However even if it's off by 30 lbs, it would almost have no effect on the result. Still, I plan to get it weighed at a racing shop in the next few weeks to really make sure.

4630 is the published curb weight of the S85 and P85.

Published curb weight of the P85D is 4936.

That will certainly have an impact on your results.

Snowrider You must have let off the go pedal too soon or the timing was not accurate as it took 1.52 sec to go from 60 to 63.2 mph based on your 330 ft measurement.
I had to stop accelerating at ~68mph because I was already going much faster than the speed limit...
I reached 330ft afterwards, when I was already reducing my speed... That's why my 330ft time should be discarded. But mathematically speaking, everything's ok.

I also think that a sticky dedicated to performance statistics would be helpful.
I have looked at the suggested articles but have yet to see a consolidated review of the performance parameters. Most absence at this point appears to be basic passing type acceleration numbers, much less at various levels of charge. Slalom numbers would be interesting as well.
A dedicated spreadsheet with all sorts and manner of performance statistics updated to reflect various test reports and reviews as they become available may help address the various issues and threads relating to performance.
Wiki post here:
0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D

If you do a google search on "Tesla Road Test" you will come up with some nice results.
Here is a link to the Car & Driver test which was recently performed on the Tesla 70D... 2015 Tesla Model S 70D Instrumented Test Car and Driver
And here is the P85D Road Test from the same publication... 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Drive Car and Driver
And here is the P85D Road Test from Road & Track... Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60
And let us not forget Motor Trend's efforts... 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend
And then, for the nostalgic... The P85+ Road Test and Extended Use series from Motor Trend... 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Arrival - Motor Trend
It has been my opinion that at times the web versions of the various Road Tests are not as complete as the printed versions.
Maybe I am not correct in this regard. I have always found that the big three US Magazines when results are combined provide a good picture. Road & Track has always been held by me to be one of the best. I was a sucker for the side on mechanical drawing of the auto being tested, I will admit that. It is pretty amazing how well these Web Search Engines work... ;-) That said, I do feel there should be a sticky thread devoted to this topic somewhere on the Forum.

Great post...fun reading through all those again.

i weighed my P85D at Bandemere Speedway (Denver) after one of my runs there (19" cyclone wheels, all weather tires, NO pano, air suspension, etc.) and with me in the car it was 5145 pounds and I weighed about 157 pounds that day as dressed for the drag strip and with the helmet in the car.

The way I describe the acceleration of the P85D is "that my DEAD grandmother" could run in the 11 second range for the quarter....

Incredibly consistent times by just stomping the **** out of the go pedal.

i weighed my P85D at Bandemere Speedway (Denver) after one of my runs there (19" cyclone wheels, all weather tires, NO pano, air suspension, etc.) and with me in the car it was 5145 pounds and I weighed about 157 pounds that day as dressed for the drag strip and with the helmet in the car.

The way I describe the acceleration of the P85D is "that my DEAD grandmother" could run in the 11 second range for the quarter....

Incredibly consistent times by just stomping the **** out of the go pedal.

Next gen seats or not? Premium sound? What other options? Was there anything in the car? If this is accurate, it's coming out about 40 lbs heavier than the published spec. Not bad though.

The way I describe the acceleration of the P85D is "that my DEAD grandmother" could run in the 11 second range for the quarter.... Incredibly consistent times by just stomping the **** out of the go pedal.

Thanks for all that George. This is another point people forget about this car. Practically anyone can drive it fast. Many fast Rear Wheel Drive cars require a skilled driver or even a professional driver to get it off the line properly, and then skill is needed to keep it in a straight line down the track. And the P85D has no need for warming the tires, engaging Launch Control or any of the other things needed by RWD only cars (you can leave it in Insane Mode all the time).

Drove a Dodge Challenger Hellcat the other day. Loud and fun, but there was 2 or 3 steps had to go though to enable it to get it off the line fast. I like the car, but I wouldn't want anyone in my family to drive it. People will kill themselves in that car...way too easy to break the rear end loose...even on the highway. When its wet...forget it.

Did a few tests today (rolling times), respectively at 87% and 53% SOC.
The results are quite interesting:

80-120kmh (50-75mph) : 2.3s at 87% and 2.7s at 53%
100-140kmh (60-85mph) : 3.1s at 87% and 3.5s at 53%

Clearly, the level of charge has a significant impact on performance.
We already knew that... but now we have some figures.