Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not the best day I've had :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
14mqhhc.jpg
[/FONT]

zmglcg.jpg

Hit a curb this afternoon and damaged the front and rear passenger side wheels.
Luckily the tires seem to be ok! Which is good as they are brand new

Another strange occurrence, I'm hearing a clicking sound when I hit the accelerator or let off the accelerator at low speeds >20 mph
Not sure what that could be but I'm sure it's nothing good

Anyone know if that's curb related or something else.

Still love the 21inch wheels and have absolutely no intention of switching to the 19s.
Oh and the car has been AMAZING! Absolutely love it! Electric cars ROCK!!!!!!

Needless to say I've had better days.

Too bad about those wheels. Those 21's always looked like they're asking for trouble the way they protrude past the rubber. I guess I'm too practical to appreciate the 21's.

The clicking can be a few things, not likely related to the curb. Mine was described as a failed motor mount, but they swapped the drive unit also anyway. Take it in, it's covered.

Wait AMPd, I must object. Every day I get to drive my Model S is "The Best Day Everrrrrrr!"

More seriously, sorry to see the rash. I have stopped counting the contacts with curbs. Grey permanent markers until you have a chance to have a rim job.

Too bad about those wheels. Those 21's always looked like they're asking for trouble the way they protrude past the rubber. I guess I'm too practical to appreciate the 21's.

The clicking can be a few things, not likely related to the curb. Mine was described as a failed motor mount, but they swapped the drive unit also anyway. Take it in, it's covered.

I will call the local service center and set up an appointment for a check up.
Just to be on the safe side and prevent a break down when I need the car most

@mattmass yes I will be taking the car to a place recommended to me here on the forum by uberEV1, hoping they can fix them!

@william13 oh I agree driving the model S automatically upgrades my day to BEST DAY EVER! But damage to such an awesome car downgrades the day to "eh I've had better days"
Thanks to uberEV1 my day has gotten a lot better! And I have yet to drive the car.

Sooner or later it happens to all of us I'm afraid. Fortunately, it's an easy repair and shouldn't cost more than $150 per wheel. Those of us in colder climes who run different sets of winter and summer tires usually build in the cost of at least one rim repair at each swap.

Another strange occurrence, I'm hearing a clicking sound when I hit the accelerator or let off the accelerator at low speeds >20 mph. Not sure what that could be but I'm sure it's nothing good

Anyone know if that's curb related or something else.

Sounds like what I had; turned out to be an easy fix:
Concern: Differential Shims for Drive Unit Clunk
Corrections: Install Differential Shims for Drive Unit Clunk
Installed Differential Shims for Drive Unit Clunk. Confirmed Proper Fitment. Noise No Longer Present.
Pay Type: Warranty

Here's hoping it's as simple for you.

Last edited:
Dear AMPd, very sorry to hear the curb rash... I always get a rash once in a few months at my home parking (mechanical, very narrow at only 195cm wide) with my 19inch wheels.

What I do is wait until winter comes, change to winter wheels and send the summer wheels for repair. Do the same vice versa when spring comes.

I did the same almost a year ago, but I also had the honor of buying 2 new tires!All problems are relative. I hit a curb while turning into a wig shop with my wife, who was starting chemo. I wasn't happy about the wheels or tires, but had bigger issues to deal with.My wheels and tires are now fine, and so is my wife (so far) and her newly grown curly hair. It's all a matter of perspective.........

Sorry this happened to you! I will recieve my S85D(pearl white and 21" grey rims) in august. This is the biggest fear i have with these rims.
I'm searching this forum for solutions.
Alloygator comes up several times, but to be honest, i find them hideous(to big, and looking at the fotos, they are not color correct).
On my current car, Genesis Coupe, i have bridgtone potenza tyres with rim protection (don't know how to call it in english). These tyres did thier job very well. More than 100k miles, and only very little rim damage.

Any other suggestions?

Erik

The cost can be a little high to get them fixed. You can go to tesla and buy "rim paint" in an easy applicator for about $5. You then take a fine file and smooth the damaged area. Go slowly as you don't want to have the file slip and scratch the undamaged area. Then take goo be gone or alcohol and clean the rim. Then apply the paint. Order rim guards (about $60 for 4). They are amazing. They protect your rims and are very easy to install yourself.
These wheels are beautiful and it is the 1st thing I did after taking delivery.
Just a thought!