Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpha Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else disappointed with the Alpha build status ? I have seen pictures of it and maybe it was just me but I was expecting a more "finished" car. I am glad that they are making progress and moving forward but this really did not seem like a big deal to me. Is an Alpha build typically this unfinished. I guess I should not have been expecting more because we have heard that the outside is finalized but nothing of the inside being finalized. I guess I was expecting cars more like the EPs for the Roadster. Now that I think about it, an EP would be further along than this. I guess I have really answered my own questions here. In my head I thought they were further along than this. But baby steps I guess LOL.

There is more than one alpha. They supposedly have one or two that are already completed and running around.

It's anybody's guess when they will unviel a completed alpha to the public.

Is anyone else disappointed with the Alpha build status ? I have seen pictures of it and maybe it was just me but I was expecting a more "finished" car. I am glad that they are making progress and moving forward but this really did not seem like a big deal to me. Is an Alpha build typically this unfinished. I guess I should not have been expecting more because we have heard that the outside is finalized but nothing of the inside being finalized. I guess I was expecting cars more like the EPs for the Roadster. Now that I think about it, an EP would be further along than this. I guess I have really answered my own questions here. In my head I thought they were further along than this. But baby steps I guess LOL.

Definitely not disappointed. For me, it was refreshing to see a car company placing their emphasis on the engineering that went into the car as well as the consideration for safety. Refreshing not to see the usual glitter of a "concept car" that never makes it (in the form displayed) into production. When one takes into account the 3 videos Tesla released last week, V.P. Rawlinson's comments and the video playing in the background at Tesla's display (showing the Alpha build be driven on a country road), my conclusion is Tesla is much further along in development than just the "shell" shown at the show.

Yeah I figured that. I did not know all of those other things. Thanks. I just thought they would show more than a shell. But at the same time no I did NOT want them to show a concept car that will not really be built. They already did that at the unveiling. Though, I give them credit for staying close to that !

Same here Tommy.

Not being a technical person, is was great to see these vids along with hearing Mr. Rawlinson's comments about why the Model S is a superior engineered vehicle when measured against "ICE adapted / converted" EV's.

I agree that the technical walk-through of the car was very nice, but as Kevin I was sort of hoping to see the final shell. I was curious on what they did change and I was also hoping for public iteration 2 of the interior of the Model S. I suppose internally they are easily upto 3 digit iteration of the interior :)

Cobos

So same car with different pieces added to it ?!?!?! Not really what I would call an alpha build.

No.

-First there was the white rolling prototype(now in museum)

-Then came the grey driveable prototype with the roadster drivetrain.

-Sometime last year they painted the grey prototype maroon. This car is still maroon as seen at the CES.

The grey car that is seen in the video has all of the changes as seen in the CAD design video. Holes in the front bumper for the A/C condensors etc. It's probably safe to assume that this is one of the alpha cars.

There was also a post on a blog from a TM employee a few weeks back, in which he stated the alpha was done and is being driven.

We don't know if the rest of the 'fleet' has yet to be built though...
I hope that the NAIAS video will be released on the website soon.

My guess:
They may have one finished, drivable, and then a second "body in white" bare chassis at NAIAS.

The Edmunds interview said the NAIAS bare chassis on display was "number two", so maybe #1 is all done.
If they have a fully finished one, hopefully they show it soon since curiosity is building.

Also, during the press release, Peter Rawlinson indicated that the model there was one of the "fleet of Alpha builds." It would be a real play on words if the Tesla fleet was a fleet of one.

Yeah, Rawlinson made it very clear that they had a fleet of Alpha builds. It would be very misleading if his fleet consisted of 1 alpha build.

I was also under the impression that the Alpha build that they presented to the media was their day 1 reveal and they'd have a complete Alpha build available for the public to see. I could be wrong but that would definitely make more sense.

The grey car that is seen in the video has all of the changes as seen in the CAD design video. Holes in the front bumper for the A/C condensers etc. It's probably safe to assume that this is one of the alpha cars.

I did a screen capture of the front and rear of the car in the video. The enlarged holes in the front bumper are clearly evident as well as the rear bumper now has a pronounced bump not seen in the previous prototype and aligns with the alpha model on display(most likely to meet federal standards). I also noticed the taillight lens that mount in the hatchback lid appear to be clear while the side mounted lens appear red. Small pictures but hopefully of some use.View attachment 1308View attachment 1309