Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right front power window not opening/closing normally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
I'm not sure if this is a problem, or I got the car into a strange setting and it is behaving correctly.

Here's the situation:
I have always been able to open/close any of the four door windows by pulling up or pushing down on the respective window button in the driver's door. I pull up, let go, window closes all the way. Very handy. I've gotten used to a quick 1-2-3-4 series of pull-ups when parking the car, so make sure all four windows close.

Now, today, I'm noticing that the automatic open/close aspect of the right front door window has stopped working. If I pull up that button, and let go, the right front window goes up a little and stops as soon as I let go of the button. Same if I press down. As soon as I let go, it no longer automatically continues until it is fully open/closed, whatever the case may be.

Is there some setting somewhere that the car has gotten itself into where automatic window opening/closing is disabled? Or is this a known problem others have had with their windows?

It's not a known problem. First try a reboot (press both scroll wheels and hold until the screen blanks). That often solves this kind of thing. If that doesn't work, then call service.

Please see if pulling the respective fuses for the affected side fixes the problem. Then also think about if you've had any hard rains or car washes recently. We found water pooling in the harness that controls those systems behind the door panel (it came in through the mirror we think) causing mysterious shorts that would come and go. Connector pins were also corroded, so the SC may have to inspect.

Please see if pulling the respective fuses for the affected side fixes the problem. Then also think about if you've had any hard rains or car washes recently. We found water pooling in the harness that controls those systems behind the door panel (it came in through the mirror we think) causing mysterious shorts that would come and go. Connector pins were also corroded, so the SC may have to inspect.

Interesting point. I think it did rain (amazingly) in the SF Bay Area the day before this happened. And the fact that it fixed itself the next day makes a lot of sense that it could be moisture.

Thanks.