Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B pillar mounted side camera on the Model X mule(s)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
In the transparent pillars thread (which turned out to be just removed A pillar panel cover) R o b pointed out that looks like a side camera not previously discussed in one of the photos.

First it has to be noted that on previous mules there has been external wiring in this area as well, and many have pointed out the outward pushed front side windows on many mule sightings (like a Model S window that is frozen and closes over the window trim), which could mean this is merely testing equipment and not something slated for a production vehicle - if, indeed, it is anything at all.

In any case, I decided to take a look at this area in other photos as well:

model_x_mule_side_camera.jpg

Picture 1 - Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X

The potential "camera", which is reminiscent of the potential front corner cameras, also shows in the Palo Alto Model X mule video (on the right below) - which is, we assume, the same mule with different wheels:

model_x_mule_cameras.jpg

With the assumed front cameras, a side camera would of course be useful for a 360 degree around view. That said, competition mostly places these cameras in the side mirrors. This B pillar mounting would be unusual and would probably leave more of the immediate sides of the car "in the dark" from the camera view. It might be easier to keep clean, though, and offer better views in traffic.

In any case, thank you, R o b for the new sighting.

I've noticed something in this photo that doesn't seem to have been discussed - at least not that I've seen, though I may have missed it. There appears to be a camera or some other sort of sensor at the top of the driver's window at the back, just below the chrome edge to the roof. Is that a side view camera? Or is it just something like a drain hole and the S has them too?

Robert.

The car has been rumoured to have so many sensors (falcon sensors, front/rear bumper sensors, radar, side-cameras, etc.) that maybe its just another door sensor (for the soon-to-be-announced automatic front doors) to prevent it opening into a wall. You'll probably need to get the tech package to get these auto doors. Its just a guess.

I was just surprised no one else had commented on it, so it finally got me to register here to point it out.

The competition may usually put these sort of cameras in the side mirrors, but if there aren't any side mirrors, they'd have to be somewhere else...

I was just surprised no one else had commented on it, so it finally got me to register here to point it out.

Thank you R o b indeed for taking the time to register and post. For whatever reason, we had missed that one. The more people we have looking at the available data, the better (or wilder?) analysis and speculation we can create. So, more the merrier! :)

The competition may usually put these sort of cameras in the side mirrors, but if there aren't any side mirrors, they'd have to be somewhere else...

Good point, possible.

Though if there still are side-mounted stubs with backwards looking cameras, having downwards looking cameras in the same stubs would seem plausible, even probable?

Then again, maybe Tesla could be looking to combine more cameras than competition to create higher-resolution images or make wider use of said cameras than just parking, like for various traffic-recognition situations.

In any case, certainly possible Tesla would put side cameras in the B pillar locations, especially if there are other camera(s) to handle front corners. I mean, when I first heard of side cameras in cars (before they were widely introduced), the B pillar is where I assumed they might go due to its central location...

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at some of those images, I wonder if there could be both front and back looking cameras in that little assembly on the B pillar at a 45 degree angle. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Oh thanks for that. The more I know about, I love my wife from holding me back to order the D in November.

MX is gonna be camera and sensor- paradise. Even if it doesn't use all with the start, if they put all these sensors and cams inside, they could implement massive autonomous features OTA!

Can't wait until Q3, it's getting harder every day.