Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS and Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Homelink set up in my car to operate my electric gates and to operate the garage door.

The Homelink buttons work fine when i touch them manually.

I also have OVMS set up, and at the location of the gates I sent the text messages:
ACC PARAMS HOMELINK 0
ACC PARAMS RADIUS 20
ACC ENABLE

The car NEVER operates the gates as it approaches them.

Has anyone else managed to get Homelink to trigger automatically? Am I missing something or is there a known problem?

I have Homelink set up in my car to operate my electric gates and to operate the garage door.

The Homelink buttons work fine when i touch them manually.

I also have OVMS set up, and at the location of the gates I sent the text messages:
ACC PARAMS HOMELINK 0
ACC PARAMS RADIUS 20
ACC ENABLE

The car NEVER operates the gates as it approaches them.

Has anyone else managed to get Homelink to trigger automatically? Am I missing something or is there a known problem?

do you have the newest OVMS box?
it works for me but sometimes it's sporadic

Mine works reliably about 95% of the time. It is one of the great things about OVMS. I cannot figure why it does not work the other 5% of the time. I recall that I did not put in a radius but kept the default. I suggest trying the default radius to see if it works. The default radius appears to trigger it anywhere from about 125 feet to about 30 feet from my garage door.

do you have the newest OVMS box?
it works for me but sometimes it's sporadic
My OVMS box is three weeks old and it's not sporadic - it fires never!

- - - Updated - - -

Mine works reliably about 95% of the time. It is one of the great things about OVMS. I cannot figure why it does not work the other 5% of the time. I recall that I did not put in a radius but kept the default. I suggest trying the default radius to see if it works. The default radius appears to trigger it anywhere from about 125 feet to about 30 feet from my garage door.
I tried the default and reduced it because it didn't fire. I will try it again and at least I know it sounds as if it's a bit flaky. I'd just like it to fire SOMEtimes!

- - - Updated - - -

I think HOMELINK is 1, 2, or 3. What happens if you just send HOMELINK 0 to the unit? does it open the gate?
That is interesting - in some documentation I have seen 0,1,2 and in other 1,2,3.

I will try to shift it by 1 in case it's that simple! Good suggestion.

How would I send an immediate HOMELINK command to operate now rather than when it approached the geofence?

I tried that and it says it was activated thank you though it doesn't seem to operate the device. It also allows Homelink 0 to 4 all to say Activated so there is no range check!
No, there's no range check; it's not related to ACC. It's exactly the same as pushing the button in the car, which you can do no matter where the car is located. Do you have a garage door programmed in, or just the gate? Did any of them operate any device?

No, there's no range check; it's not related to ACC. It's exactly the same as pushing the button in the car, which you can do no matter where the car is located. Do you have a garage door programmed in, or just the gate? Did any of them operate any device?
I have two completely separate devices: 1 is the gate; 2 is the garage.

Touching the car's button for the appropriate device operates it 95%+ of the time.

Using the HOMELINK 1 command in the OVMS module opens the gate reliably.

Using HOMELINK 2 in the OVMS module never opens the garage. (nor does 3 - just checking it isn't somehow in the wrong slot in the car).

Currently I confess to being stumped for ideas.

I have two completely separate devices: 1 is the gate; 2 is the garage.

Touching the car's button for the appropriate device operates it 95%+ of the time.

Using the HOMELINK 1 command in the OVMS module opens the gate reliably.

Using HOMELINK 2 in the OVMS module never opens the garage. (nor does 3 - just checking it isn't somehow in the wrong slot in the car).

Currently I confess to being stumped for ideas.
Curiouser and curiouser! Today I discovered by luck that when I text it the command HOMELINK 2, the OVMS module appears to be operating device 1. HOMELINK 1 also operates device 1.

I know the device codes have been learnt differently in the car as the two which are set up, when operated from the car's touchscreen, only operate the appropriate Homelink controlled device.

Anyone else seen this, and know how to get round it? And yes, the car (Roadster 2.5, non sport) has the very latest firmware from Tesla and the OVMS module has the latest Roadster specific firmware.

The app gives the same result as the Homelink command sent by SMS. It's what I would expect as I assume the app internally just triggers a HOMELINK command.

Does anyone else have more than one Homelink device set up and find it works from text messages or the app? Or do they see my problem where only the first Homelink device gets triggered by the OVMS module.