Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VERY squeeky brakes when it snows/rains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car about a month ago and i'm noticing when it rains or snows my breaks are VERY VERY squeeky.

Does anyone else experience this problem? If so, is it normal? Will it go away after I break in the brakes? I currently have about 3k miles on my car..

My assumption is that the rotors develop a thin layer of "rust" like most cars when exposed to humidity, but because we rarely use the brakes because of regen, it doesn't get removed right away and we get brake squeaks.

People in North America are so fussy about quiet brakes. The reality is that the higher performance brakes always squeak. European cars typically squeak a lot more but stop better. North Americans prefer quiet brakes, not realizing that they don't stop as well.

My understanding is that high performance brakes can be either squeaky or emit dust. I personally prefer dust, I can't stand the squeak sound (when my window is open). My previous BMW and Audi's both emitted dust.
That's almost correct. :) When stopping, the energy dissipated by the brakes creates 3 things: dust, sound & heat. A braking system that tries to reduce any 1 of those will increase the other 2.