Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need spare touchscreen to develop video interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working with a company to develop a video interface for the touchscreen that will make possible displaying HD video, DVD, and aftermarket HD camera images on the touchscreen. To do this they'll need a spare touchscreen that can be powered on the bench.

Any ideas where one may be obtained without having to buy it new (I think a new screen is about $5,000 or more)?

if we can develop the interface it likely could make possible several innovative uses of the screen -- mirroring a smartphone, controlling a radar detector/laser jammer, displaying a 360 degree overhead view of the car (with the Rydeen 360 and similar devices and 4 cameras), and using front and rear cameras with a HD DVR.

Last edited:
Here is a video interface that may actually work straight out of the box. It is for Audi, but it has LVDS Farka connectors to insert video into the head unit, ads up to 3 regular composit inputs and all sorts of intersting goodies.
Video interface for Audi A1 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 Q5 Q7 Touareg with MMI 3G 3G+

manual:
http://www.car-interface.com/vendita/en/attachment.php?id_attachment=71

I have a simpler version for Audi MMI in hand which I will test over the weekend. The version you identified has variable output settings, which might make a difference.

Problem is that the video inputs are PAL/NTSC which are not HD. So even if it works the image will not be HD.

While it's encouraging that the output is LVDS and the Fakra connection can be plugged right into the Tesla touchscreen Fakra connector, LVDS signals are not all the same. But it's also encouraging is that Audi MMI uses the same Nvidia Tegra 3 processors. So fingers crossed. If the one I have doesn't work I'll get this version for testing.

Problem is that the video inputs are PAL/NTSC which are not HD. So even if it works the image will not be HD.

Don't get too excited by HD: the camera can only occupy one half of the screen, which makes the maximum displayed resolution 1080 x 960... kind of like a stretched 720p image.

Will the touchscreen even power up if you just give it 12V? I'd expect it needs an "on/off" signal from somewhere, otherwise it would run all the time. (I'm assuming Tesla wouldn't switch the touchscreen power on/off with a relay. They could do it, but it seems wasteful given that they could just turn it on/off in software.)

Don't get too excited by HD: the camera can only occupy one half of the screen, which makes the maximum displayed resolution 1080 x 960... kind of like a stretched 720p image.

Will the touchscreen even power up if you just give it 12V? I'd expect it needs an "on/off" signal from somewhere, otherwise it would run all the time. (I'm assuming Tesla wouldn't switch the touchscreen power on/off with a relay. They could do it, but it seems wasteful given that they could just turn it on/off in software.)

That's a question I've asked myself as well.

artsci - don't be too disappointed, I tried one while ago. It would let signal pass through, but not let me input anything through the video input. But don't let me stop you from trying.
Hey - think we talked about this already on 8/16/14 :)

I now have a source for a spare touchscreen. I'm considering now the value of the investment. I think if we can develop a video interface that works, it will be well worth it. If not I suppose I can always resell it. Can't talk about the price but it's much cheaper than Tesla's price for a new one.

I now have a source for a spare touchscreen. I'm considering now the value of the investment. I think if we can develop a video interface that works, it will be well worth it. If not I suppose I can always resell it. Can't talk about the price but it's much cheaper than Tesla's price for a new one.

If the aluminum bezel is included in what you are buying, I'd be interested in buying that part from you... I managed to get a ding in mine and its driving me nuts.