Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about finding and deleting GPS-based suspension settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I have a new P85D with the tech package. I set the suspension for the highest level near my driveway, as it is a pretty steep driveway. The first time I returned to my driveway I realized that based on how long the car takes to adjust the suspension, it would probably be better if I deleted that setting, and set the location a little bit further down my street, so that the car would start the adjustment further from my house, and finish by the time I reached my driveway. But I can't seem to find the current entry to delete. The manual has this to say about it:

--
--Location-Based Smart Air SuspensionLocation-Based Smart Air Suspension is a new feature that is
useful on roads or driveways that require higher clearance. With
this feature, your car will remember where you select HIGH or
VERY HIGH ride heights. The air suspension will then
automatically rise at those locations in the future (a notification
will appear on the instrument panel when this comes into effect).
To remove this setting for a specific location, please delete it in
Controls > Driving, or change the suspension level to
STANDARD or LOW at the same location.
The suspension will automatically lower from VERY HIGH to HIGH
when driving speed reaches 22 mph (35 km/h), and will lower from
HIGH to STANDARD when driving speed reaches 34 mph (55 km/h).
Note: Location-Based Smart Air Suspension is only available if your
Model S is equipped with Smart Air Suspension.
--

I have bolded the specific part of the directions that apply to deleting a current setting. I realize I could simply try the second option--setting the suspension height back to normal at the same location, but I'd prefer to find and delete the setting. Is the manual just wrong, or am I missing something? I have tried accessing the driving options, as the directions above suggest, but I don't see any setting there for my location that I would be able to delete.

Thanks for any advice or clarification on this, even if it is just confirmation that the manual is wrong.

If you set it too far down the street, you'll be going too fast and it won't change and will give you an error message instead. It might be better to just put in a second height change and not delete the original, that way if the first one didn't catch it, the second one would.

(I've never deleted a height change (since I only have one), so I don't know the answer to the controls->driving question.

I have a new P85D with the tech package. I set the suspension for the highest level near my driveway, as it is a pretty steep driveway. The first time I returned to my driveway I realized that based on how long the car takes to adjust the suspension, it would probably be better if I deleted that setting, and set the location a little bit further down my street, so that the car would start the adjustment further from my house, and finish by the time I reached my driveway. But I can't seem to find the current entry to delete. The manual has this to say about it:

--
--Location-Based Smart Air SuspensionLocation-Based Smart Air Suspension is a new feature that is
useful on roads or driveways that require higher clearance. With
this feature, your car will remember where you select HIGH or
VERY HIGH ride heights. The air suspension will then
automatically rise at those locations in the future (a notification
will appear on the instrument panel when this comes into effect).
To remove this setting for a specific location, please delete it in
Controls > Driving, or change the suspension level to
STANDARD or LOW at the same location.
The suspension will automatically lower from VERY HIGH to HIGH
when driving speed reaches 22 mph (35 km/h), and will lower from
HIGH to STANDARD when driving speed reaches 34 mph (55 km/h).
Note: Location-Based Smart Air Suspension is only available if your
Model S is equipped with Smart Air Suspension.
--

I have bolded the specific part of the directions that apply to deleting a current setting. I realize I could simply try the second option--setting the suspension height back to normal at the same location, but I'd prefer to find and delete the setting. Is the manual just wrong, or am I missing something? I have tried accessing the driving options, as the directions above suggest, but I don't see any setting there for my location that I would be able to delete.

Thanks for any advice or clarification on this, even if it is just confirmation that the manual is wrong.

You need to catch it while it's actually adjusting height. Pull up the suspension height screen then drive to the location where it was set to raise up. As it rises you'll see a small button with an X at one end appear - hit that to cancel, and delete the remembered location.

If you set it too far down the street, you'll be going too fast and it won't change and will give you an error message instead. It might be better to just put in a second height change and not delete the original, that way if the first one didn't catch it, the second one would.

I did consider that. I figured I would just make sure to slow down a little if need be, which seemed like it would be a better approach than just sitting, stopped, at the end of my driveway waiting for the adjustment to finish. Thanks for pointing out the potential issue, though, and for the idea to keep the original location. I'm going to set the other one so close to this one, though, that I'd almost be concerned that the system may not differentiate them or something, so if I can just delete the one and start over, I will take that approach. I can always tweak things as needed. I live on a dead-end, so it's not going to be hard to get this right.

You need to catch it while it's actually adjusting height. Pull up the suspension height screen then drive to the location where it was set to raise up. As it rises you'll see a small button with an X at one end appear - hit that to cancel, and delete the remembered location.

Thanks! That explains it.

No way I would have figured that out from the manual. I appreciate it!