Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door window glass scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen on my drivers window. It's not a factory fault but dirt getting into the trim piece. If you point it out to SC they'll replace for you (they did for me) and now when my cars especially dusty or dirty from snow mix I use my air compressor hose and blow the dirt away from the windows.

The exact same thing has happened to me. Road sand during last winter and a couple of grains got lodged in to the trim piece.

My service center looked at it, but no offers to replace under warranty :(

Last edited:
I have seen this as well.

It seems that the rubber does not seal tight to the window - there is a missing 1-2 mm.. as other have pointed out , this leads to small dust and other stuff are fetched by the "velour like" stuf just below the rubber. - sad to say.

Tesla could easy fix this, they just have to make the rubber go all the way tight to the window - I haven't checked if this have been fixed on the latest cars.

I just noticed, after having my windows tinted, a long deep scratch on the passenger side window. Could this really be from debris scratching the window when it's rolled down? Or is it something sharp inside the door? The scratch is at the same angle as the window travel. There is also a shorter fainter scratch running parallel with it about 1/2" away. Non of my other cars have scratches like this and they are 5 and 12 years old. My Tesla is 2 weeks old. I will hate to see what my windows look like in 5 years.

Mine had this to all 4 windows upon delivery of my CPO that lived in Denver its first 45k miles.

SC changed all glass and replaced the seals after I pointed it out and said it shouldn't happen again.

Not long after, the drivers window was scratched again (no road salt to be the cause in late June/early July) and the SC replaced the glass again as well as a part of the drivers door handle that was out of alignment and scratching on the glass.

Main culprit in my opinion is road salt/debris getting caught in the seal/gasket/ whatever it's called . For me this has delayed me getting my windows tinted as tint on the inside will bring out the scratch even more

Mine had this to all 4 windows upon delivery of my CPO that lived in Denver its first 45k miles.

SC changed all glass and replaced the seals after I pointed it out and said it shouldn't happen again.

Not long after, the drivers window was scratched again (no road salt to be the cause in late June/early July) and the SC replaced the glass again as well as a part of the drivers door handle that was out of alignment and scratching on the glass.

Main culprit in my opinion is road salt/debris getting caught in the seal/gasket/ whatever it's called . For me this has delayed me getting my windows tinted as tint on the inside will bring out the scratch even more
The scratch is directly above the door handle, and I don't see any debris on the seal that runs the length of the window. Maybe you've hit the nail on the head. I haven't been driving that much and it's too cold to be putting the windows down, so the road debris doesn't really make sense. Sounds like the SC may fix it for me, but they probably won't cover the cost of tinting the new window. Thank you for the responding.

Reactions: JPUConn