Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential 2nd factory for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we continue to talk about the Gigafactory and the Tesla factory Expansions I would like to "pre-maturely" start this topic.
Heres some info on Tesla's factory:
5,500,000 Sq. Ft.
Built in 1984
2nd largest building by Footprint

Tesla refurbished this factory so, I don't see why they can't do that again. I think that the Mitsubishi Factory in Normal IL would be a great location. It is currently building the Outlander Sport at about 80,000 a year (Capacity to do about 240,000). Mitsubishi as most people know is pretty irrelevant, so I would imagine that Tesla would be able to work out a Deal with them. Here is there page: Diamond-Star Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any other factory locations.

Note: I know Tesla is not at even 10% of its' capacity, but I think they will grow rapidly from 2017 and demand will be in place by at least 2020.

The next US Tesla factory will produce a full sized pickup truck and maybe SUV.

Like GM and Toyota, the perfect place to build that factory is Texas along with 2nd battery factory because Texas is the largest market for full sized pickups and SUVs. Build'em where you sell'm. If Texas changes their franchise dealer law.

GM has a massive mothballed plant in Doraville Georgia(7,200,000 square feet) that would be a perfect site for Tesla if GM was willing to sell for a good price. Still has rail access. And it has not been partially redeveloped like many mothballed auto plants. If Tesla is looking for a fixer upper.

Mitsubishi has a bonafide hit on its hands with the Outlander PHEV. Mitsubishi has sworn they are not leaving the US market and they can easily retool the plant in IL to produce the Outlander.

Well, if it were Detroit, that would be yet one more wonderful way for the EV hammer to drive the ICE nail further into its own coffin. Now, there is that monstrous Packard assembly plant still sitting vacant in Detroit after 5? 6? decades...I believe it is of the same magnitude as the Mitsubishi plant Clprenz mentions, but you have to wonder whether there is any way it could be brought back to use.

Well, if it were Detroit, that would be yet one more wonderful way for the EV hammer to drive the ICE nail further into its own coffin. Now, there is that monstrous Packard assembly plant still sitting vacant in Detroit after 5? 6? decades...I believe it is of the same magnitude as the Mitsubishi plant Clprenz mentions, but you have to wonder whether there is any way it could be brought back to use.

Even in ruin, Detroit's Packard plant inspires artists

The Packard Plant is just a ruin. Standing structures have no value and even if they were in good shape it's an early 2oth century plant that just is not designed usefully for manufacturing now.

It made tremendous sense for Tesla to buy the old NUMMI plant in Fremont and a lot of equipment at pennies on the dollar when they did but now that they can raise capital much better they will be building new facilities that are exactly designed for their needs.

The Gigafactory will work out the details of a template. Tesla's next phase of expansion will require one new Gigafactory for every new integrated vehicle plant so they will likely be located nearby. It wouldn't be surprising if the next phase was simultaneous construction of 3 pairs of new plants in the US, China and Europe. In the US Texas would be a good candidate if it cleans up it's act about allowing direct sales. All of them like the GF, producing their own energy from renewables and very clean....and kinda elegant looking.

It will definitely be in China. The Freemont plant has tons of capacity.

I would say say that they should be producing the model 3 in China as the S and the X are way too big for Asia. If they want to really penetrate the market they will need BMW or Audi type luxury inside.

depends on what you mean by Tesla factory

Telsa Factory #1 is Fremont
Tesla Factory #2 is in Nevada unless you think they'll open another factory before the Gigafactory is completed.

One produces cars and the other only batteries but I'd call them both Tesla factories.

So when you ask where the 2nd factory will be I think of three answers

A: the second factory will be in Nevada
B: the second car factory will be in
C: the second battery factory will be in

I don't know the answer for B or C but I think the thread title is a little ambiguous considering the number of factories Tesla will have in play.

Everyone who reads this Forum knows about the battery factory. And now that it will be constructed in Nevada.

No one "knows" where the second auto factory or second battery factory will be constructed. OP ask for speculation.

Clearly, the "second" factory means second factory that stamps sheet metal and manufactures gliders or complete autos that will have the battery packs made off-site to be installed.

Mercedes Benz sells plenty of S-Class in China, more than in the USA. and ditto for the Audi A8.

Everyone who reads this Forum knows about the battery factory. And now that it will be constructed in Nevada.

No one "knows" where the second auto factory or second battery factory will be constructed. OP ask for speculation.

Clearly, the "second" factory means second factory that stamps sheet metal and manufactures gliders or complete autos that will have the battery packs made off-site to be installed.

Mercedes Benz sells plenty of S-Class in China, more than in the USA. and ditto for the Audi A8.

Tesla's new Lathrop CA facility.

The Gigafactory will be the third major Tesla factory. I disagree that it has to be either metal stamping or battery packs to be important.

As others have said, the next major factories will be in China.

I hope that at some point there'll be reason to talk about other places, but that's way too far in the future.
I believe you are correct and suspect other states in contention for the giga factory realized it too. That is why bidding went so high. Kind of last chance for years for the states that did not win