Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to introduce myself. "New to me" 2011 2.5 Roadster...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
Just purchased 2011 (new to me) Roadster with less than 16,000 miles on the clock, and a 2.5 computer, and infotainment system. Previously owned by the proverbial lil' ol' lady from Pasadena.

I will post pics when I receive the car... It is being shipped.

I do have an initial question... The car has a plug for old style iPhone 4s. Can the system be adapted for use with Android? If not, can it be adapted to work with new style iPhone?

Also, I am now in the market for a hard top... Should I plop down the 5k to Tesla or are used ones available for better prices elsewhere?

Many many many questions to follow.

Best,

TOBASH

Welcome & congrats on your new Roadster. I have a 2011 Roadster Sport. The plug you're referring to is actually connected to a USB connection, so it can be swapped out. I just left mine as a USB, so I can connect whatever.

But, the amperage isn't enough to power my iPad and you may have problems with your Android. Anything requiring more juice, I just power off the DC plug underneath the dash, with a USB adapter plug.

This is probably the place to find a used hard top, but I personally haven't seen any around for awhile. I have one in my garage that I hardly ever use, but don't want to let go of it. I think most Roadster owners feel the same.

--- Question for you: Are you charging at home off the UMC, a Clipper Creek HPC, or will you just put in a J1772 and use an adapter?

I'm pretty sure (someone please correct me if not) the hard top is one of the few things that is 100% Lotus Elise compatible, so it should be simple to find one for cheaps.

Personally, I put a 70A J1772 charger in my house to keep both myself (with The Can adapter) and other electric car friends happy. Later I also added a NEMA14-50 secondary plug to my charger so that I could just pop it off the wall and charge at RV sites truly far out of normal electric car owners' ranges.

Congratulations!

I have a question for everyone too:

Soft tops: How much to replace one? How likely to need to? I can buy one for $500, wanna see if I should just to keep as a spare.

I'll bet the answer to this is 100% dependant on if your roadster sits pampered in a garage or if it sits outside all day getting a nice UV, rain, and bird poop bath to deteriorate the top with.

For the 3rd party top referred to above, look for the thread(s) about the "glass top". We call it a glass top because it's like driving under a sheet of glass, though the top is actually made out of polycarbonate. In the winter, with the rain falling (almost) on your head, and then sheeting back off the roof as you're driving along .... magic.

Definitely want the glass top. Who where what do I need to contact???

I found iPhone female adapter with USB and audio wire. Before I dig onto the car's wires I think I will see if this thing works:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-iPhone...ader_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item1c441cbb4d

Are the charging "S-Roadster Cans" still available? I want one! Also I will of course bring car to local dealer for 70 amp upgrade as suggested by Bonnie (Thanks Bonnie, and beautiful picture of you on your profile page.) Once I have one, what do I need to do to get a free charge at a Supercharger?

No doubt, the hard top is nice until you get a glass top from Mr Fiat and the guys in Italy. I would look up past threads and research the glass top idea instead of the Tesla hard top...... It is really the top the roadster was made for..... Or vica versa!

Welcome to the Roadster world..... You will love it!!!

Are the charging "S-Roadster Cans" still available? I want one! Also I will of course bring car to local dealer for 70 amp upgrade as suggested by Bonnie (Thanks Bonnie, and beautiful picture of you on your profile page.) Once I have one, what do I need to do to get a free charge at a Supercharger?

- It's more of a not-quite-available-yet instead of "still available" :)

- It's possible you already have the latest firmware installed (which all it does is let your car successfully charge at the maximum it can already do of 70A while not freaking out at chargers with the maximum 80A clock signal). You can check it on your car display, though I forget which arcane menu inputs get you to the screen that lets you check.

- The S-to-Roadster adapter is not for DC supercharging, just for charging at the same 240VAC/70A (or less) that you normally could, but from the slightly different and more popular model s connector. A lot of upscale places in my area (country clubs, golf courses, hotels, wineries, etc) have these available for charging instead of J1772 or Roadster connectors. It might be worth it for you to get one, it might not; probably depends on the availability of conveniently available high-amperage model-s chargers in your area (you can check plugshare or similar with a filter on that plug type), or more specifically halfway between your area and other places you might want to go that are out of your range, where you would appreciate high-amperage charging so you only have to stop for an hour or three instead of stopping an entire night at a slow J1772 30A charger.

Last edited:
You just need the lightning cable that came with your iphone, that will work fine. Audio/charging, etc. is supported by the Alpine unit.

Definitely want the glass top. Who where what do I need to contact???

I found iPhone female adapter with USB and audio wire. Before I dig onto the car's wires I think I will see if this thing works:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-iPhone...ader_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item1c441cbb4d

Welcome!

Here's a link to change the cable or just leave the USB port open - [HOWTO] Converting your iPhone dock into an USB port

The classifieds section on this board has some hard tops available - there's also a group buy for a transparent hard top which you can find in this forum.

Thanks for that link!

I'm actually going to do that this weekend. I had no idea it was that easy. I thought I'd have to pull out the head unit to put in a lighting cable.

-
- It's possible you already have the latest firmware installed (which all it does is let your car successfully charge at the maximum it can already do of 70A while not freaking out at chargers with the maximum 80A clock signal). You can check it on your car display, though I forget which arcane menu inputs get you to the screen that lets you check..

Your firmware version appears briefly in small numbers on the upper right corner of the VDS when you first turn the Roadster on.

Welcome to the group. When you get a few charges under your belt make sure you add your data to the Tesla Owners Battery Study Plug In America
if you have or don't have solar add your vote to the driving on Sunshine poll. Driving on Sunshine

For you non-iphone connection I purchased an inexpensive adapter so I did not have to tear into the center consol. http://www.amazon.com/Iphone-Female-Docking-Connection-Output/dp/B00L4XC7C6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407465868&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+to+1%2F8+grom