Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Lowers Price again? Nope!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For careful observers Tesla has once again slightly lowered their prices.

After dropping 7000+ Euros off of their cars in Germany recent weeks seem to have shown a trend of lowering options on the Tesla here in the USA. I for one am wondering where this is going:

1) First the parcel shelf went from a paid option to one included for free
2) Then today the following seems to have happened: Dual Chargers went from $2500 to now $1500
The wall connector is now $1200 - didn't it use to be $1500?
3) Smart Air suspension dropped from $2500 to $2250
4) Premium interior lighting - it's now $1000 wasn't it $1500 at one point?

While I think it's great for people who ordered their cars and expected them in late Sept to now being told it'll be August. These seem to be signs that demand is indeed slowing and Tesla is slowly backing down their prices. I suspect we'll see a move in the base price of the Model S in order for them to increase demand. The question is when and what will this do to existing vehicles residuals?

Your thoughts?

AFAIK none of those are price drops. Dual chargers has always been $1500. It was $2700 bundled with HPWC for a while but it got unbundled again. HPWC has always been $1200. A long time ago Smart air was $1500 and then got increased to what I thought was $2250 so don't think there is a difference there. Premium lighting has always been $1000 since it was unbundled from the tech package. The only change really has been the included parcel shelf.

AFAIK none of those are price drops. Dual chargers has always been $1500. It was $2700 bundled with HPWC for a while but it got unbundled again. HPWC has always been $1200. A long time ago Smart air was $1500 and then got increased to what I thought was $2250 so don't think there is a difference there. Premium lighting has always been $1000 since it was unbundled from the tech package. The only change really has been the included parcel shelf.

I agree. Ordered my MS85 on 6.3.14 and prices have not changed. Ordered the day after parcel shelf was included. :smile:

+1 all correct.

Premium lighting was always $1000 (except when it was included as it should be). And ZBB is right, The HPWC has always been $1200.
The dual chargers were always $1500 except when they were bundled with the HPWC.

Tesla Lowers Price again - where will it land?

For careful observers Tesla has once again slightly lowered their prices.

After dropping 7000+ Euros off of their cars in Germany recent weeks seem to have shown a trend of lowering options on the Tesla here in the USA. I for one am wondering where this is going:

1) First the parcel shelf went from a paid option to one included for free
2) Then today the following seems to have happened: Dual Chargers went from $2500 to now $1500
The wall connector is now $1200 - didn't it use to be $1500?
3) Smart Air suspension dropped from $2500 to $2250
4) Premium interior lighting - it's now $1000 wasn't it $1500 at one point?

While I think it's great for people who ordered their cars and expected them in late Sept to now being told it'll be August. These seem to be signs that demand is indeed slowing and Tesla is slowly backing down their prices. I suspect we'll see a move in the base price of the Model S in order for them to increase demand. The question is when and what will this do to existing vehicles residuals?

Your thoughts?

Yes the parcel shelf is now included. This happened a few weeks ago. Whoopee saves you $250. This should always have been free so +1 to Tesla for this change.

Dual chargers were always $1500. Nothing changed.

The HPWC was always $1200. Nothing changed. Perhaps you are recalling the earlier bundle of the dual chargers and HPWC that used to be $2700 but these were made different options now.

Smart air suspension was originally $1500 early on (and used to be included in the base price of the P85) but was increased to $2250 early 2013 and also stripped out of the P85 and made an option. It's been the same since. Nothing changed.

The premium interior lighting used to be free and included early on in every car but again in summer 2013 it was stripped out and made a very expensive (and not worth it) at $1000. It was never $1500.

Let's be clear. Tesla has clearly said that they are always trying for a 25% margin. That means that if they find a better supplier or have managed to negotiate a better deal for a large scale purchase then naturally that will translate to a lowering in pricing for certain add-ons. In this instance and for whatever reason it was decided that the parcel shelf should be included in the base package.

That is why we see fluctuation in pricing fairly regularly. Tesla is constantly gathering information and fine tuning pricing as necessary.

It is amazing how the meme of decreasing demand, pumped by so many ignorant skeptics in the "press" sticks to people's awareness. Even the earlier than expected deliveries can be explained simply by Tesla's declared increasing manufacturing capacity and efficiency.
Right. Even when Elon gets on the earnings call and says demand is growing...