Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route 1 along coast, Gilroy to Atascadero ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone driven from the supercharger at Gilroy, CA to the one at Atascadero, CA via Route 1 along the coast? I know I can make it easily along Route 101 inland, but with google maps showing 172 miles along Route 1, I'm wondering if I can make it in my 85.

My battery now only charges up to 250 miles or so for a full rated miles range charge after almost 28K on my odometer. I typically actually use an extra 20% with my daily driving, ie use 60 miles of range for 50 miles of driving. I'm not sure about elevation changes, so I was wondering if anyone has done this drive along Route 1. I'm figuring total actual miles of around 180 with some side trip off the route to state parks, etc.

Has anyone driven from the supercharger at Gilroy, CA to the one at Atascadero, CA via Route 1 along the coast? I know I can make it easily along Route 101 inland, but with google maps showing 172 miles along Route 1, I'm wondering if I can make it in my 85.

My battery now only charges up to 250 miles or so for a full rated miles range charge after almost 28K on my odometer. I typically actually use an extra 20% with my daily driving, ie use 60 miles of range for 50 miles of driving. I'm not sure about elevation changes, so I was wondering if anyone has done this drive along Route 1. I'm figuring total actual miles of around 180 with some side trip off the route to state parks, etc.

I did that in route in March with no problem. My MS gets about 258 on a 100% charge after 20k miles. Because I did not want to wait forever for a 100% charge, I did a 90%+ charge at Gilroy to 229 rated miles and made it to Atascadero with 45 rated miles remaining. See my energy numbers on arrival at Atascadero. The good news is that following the RVs and other tourists on Route 1, you will have a nice slow, efficient drive. The bad news is that you will be following some slow RV's around some beautiful coastal turns where you would love to enjoy the performance of your MS.

My car is a P85 that had its snow tires on 19's at the time. (I had to cross the Rockies twice in March!) I did not do any crazy hypermiling to get these results, but I did have regen in normal, and I left enough distance to the cars in front of me that I could use regen to slow down instead of throwing away energy with the friction brakes, 98% of the time.

YMMV, but by all means do this beautiful route and enjoy!

Atascadero-RM.jpg

Big Sur IMG_0331 sm.jpg

I did Morro Bay to Big Sur in my LEAF two years ago... 100.7 miles, and I probably had a couple miles to spare!!!

It took me six hours with an average speed around 15mph, in part to compensate for the elevation gain and cold weather, all which negatively affect the LEAF. You can drive by those spots with a bit of smugness, knowing your Model S can do this and more in complete comfort.

My recharge at Big Sur was at the max rate of 16 amps, and took nearly 8 hours before I could drive to Monterey for another charge... BC2BC-2012.

I did that in route in March with no problem. My MS gets about 258 on a 100% charge after 20k miles. Because I did not want to wait forever for a 100% charge, I did a 90%+ charge at Gilroy to 229 rated miles and made it to Atascadero with 45 rated miles remaining. See my energy numbers on arrival at Atascadero. The good news is that following the RVs and other tourists on Route 1, you will have a nice slow, efficient drive. The bad news is that you will be following some slow RV's around some beautiful coastal turns where you would love to enjoy the performance of your MS.

My car is a P85 that had its snow tires on 19's at the time. (I had to cross the Rockies twice in March!) I did not do any crazy hypermiling to get these results, but I did have regen in normal, and I left enough distance to the cars in front of me that I could use regen to slow down instead of throwing away energy with the friction brakes, 98% of the time.

YMMV, but by all means do this beautiful route and enjoy!

Thanks! Good to know that it's not a problem. I think the snow tires even lowered the efficiency a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I did Gilroy to San Luis Obispo on Highway 1 in my 60 with no problem. This was before the Atascadero supercharger existed. I would think Gilroy to Atascadero in an 85 would be no problem at all.

:-D Thanks!

I just drove that route last week. Easy, no range anxiety. I think I left the supercharger with 235 miles of range and arrived at Gilroy with around 50 or so. There is a slight short cut going north on 101 from Atascadero at Vineyard Drive toward 46 to save a little distance and time. Enjoy the ride!

Live there.
Do it all the time. No range probs with our 85 - drive like we stole it.

Fall (Nov) is best time and from Carmel south - MUCH less traffic, early morning, through the vineyards across hwy 46 from hwy 1 to 101 (Paso Robles) - Spectacular!!