Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess what electric Vehicles 100 years ago got in range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100 freaking miles of range in 1905

2014-05-08 08_26_41-100-Mile Fritchle Electric Automobile (1908) __ Early Advertising of the Wes.jpg

100 years of time for R&D, fast forward to 2014, I would bet the inventor of this car would be shaking his head.

You would think most car companies with their billions could of at least doubled the range? no, only Tesla and a prototype Rimac have EVs that have more than 200 miles and both those companies are startups

Haha, yup. The funny thing is, some folks use this as a slam on current EVs. I've seen comments similar to "we had EVs with big range a century ago. Why aren't they around now? Because they don't work!!!"

Compared to the cars of its time it was the norm. Same speed as others, same weight. The inefficiencies of the petrol engines of the day were such that they too needed that speed and weight to be reasonable to use. The OPs point is still valid since cars in those days weren't going 70mph. There was a long dark period in EV history where nothing advanced.

It was advertised as a "ladies car" because it was difficult for women to hand crank gas cars. Electric starters for gas cars put the electrics out of business, for a hundred years.

Compared to the cars of its time it was the norm. Same speed as others, same weight. The inefficiencies of the petrol engines of the day were such that they too needed that speed and weight to be reasonable to use. The OPs point is still valid since cars in those days weren't going 70mph. There was a long dark period in EV history where nothing advanced.

I disagree.
You can't say it is reasonable to compare it to ICE cars from a century ago, therefore it is acceptable to compare it to today's electrics.
Put it this way, if you weighed down that century old car with an extra 2000 pounds and drove it at 55 mph, how far do you think it would go?

That is a much more accurate comparison of the drive train. And thus can give a more reasonable idea of how battery tech has advanced.

I disagree.
You can't say it is reasonable to compare it to ICE cars from a century ago, therefore it is acceptable to compare it to today's electrics.
Put it this way, if you weighed down that century old car with an extra 2000 pounds and drove it at 55 mph, how far do you think it would go?

That is a much more accurate comparison of the drive train. And thus can give a more reasonable idea of how battery tech has advanced.

You couldn't get an ICE from that era to move with an extra 2000 pounds on it. The state of the art at the time on both was on par. Now mass market EVs are way behind. I think that is a fair statement. You may disagree but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Until the hill that enabled it to get to 55 mph ended.
I have hit 55mph downhill on my human powered velomobile. It was during the STP in 2011 and quite a blast. I wouldn't want to go 55mph in the vehicle pictured in the OP.

You couldn't get an ICE from that era to move with an extra 2000 pounds on it. The state of the art at the time on both was on par. Now mass market EVs are way behind. I think that is a fair statement. You may disagree but whatever.

Have ICE vehicle advanced further in the last hundred years than electric vehicles I think is a great question.

The OP was comparing EVs of today to an EV from a century ago and claiming the advances are pathetic.
My point is just saying electric vehicles have not advanced compared to electrics of a century ago is silly.

It is like taking a year old 200 hp engine from a small car and putting it in a semi truck and claiming "look, engine technology has gone backwards because it can't be used in a semi truck".

i think every forgot this was a HUNDRED years ago in 1905.

Back then, there was nothing computer controlled, nobody is doing 55mph/90kph on a regular basis, all control of any invention was pure analog and was not precise at all.

so of course your CAD designed human powered velomobile, wind tunnel tested with CNC machined precision parts and forged alloys, synthetic plastic or carbon fiber light weight shell? could do 55MPH 100 years later,

they didnt even have production wireless radio back then, it was only a concept on Edison's drawing board.

Here is another one, which is still operational today:

TN_Stave-JS-actionshot.jpg

http://www.veva.bc.ca/detroit/index.php

The front and rear compartments were filled with the optional Nickel-Iron batteries which gave it a range of close to 100 miles. The still fully-operational batteries finally had to be replaced in the late 1980s due to the Bakelite cases starting to leak.

Today, the car is owned and maintained by the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association and is a permanent featured exhibit at the Stave Falls BC Hydro Powerhouse Museum near Mission.

also

The motor has never been serviced and resembles closely elevator motors of the day, many of which are still in daily operation.

if they put in the latest Li-Poly or Li-FE batteries i wonder what range it would have, they indicated crappy lead acid already had an 80km range.

Lead acid is around 40Wh/kg and Tesla's cells are around 250 Wh/kg so that means 500km ? but that doesn't mean it will fit as the dimensions are different for each cell.

Wait, is your velomobile, the one in your avatar? I think I've seen you on the Sammamish River Trail in Bothell once...
yes. That was likely me. I live in Woodinville. I don't know anyone local with an Orange one. FYI, my Velo is hand built and not wind tunnel tested but it is a mix of fiberglass and carbon fiber. The wheels are a huge improvement in tech as compared to 1905.

I do think it fair to say that the investment over the past 100 years was focused on ICE and that EVs would have greatly benefited from that focus.

e-car-1906-baker-electric-stanhope-ad.jpg

The image is small but this is the first electric car I ever drove. The owner of this car also had a number of other cars of similar vintage. The Baker still was operated as a daily driver in 1963 when i drove it. I do not know if it still is doing that. the electric cars of the era were far more reliable than were the ICE cars, but electricity supplies were most definitely not. Electricity then was a limited urban phenomenon. had the electrical infrastructure been in place the outcome might have been different, but combustable oils, gas and gasoline were becoming widely available, first for lighting, then much later for electrification. Had not Mr. Tesla and Mr. Edison perfected good electrical lighting the electrical revolution might not have had the 'killer app'. As we probably recall from industrial history the electrical motors and other innovations followed soon, but they did follow, not lead. Sadly, electric cars had their heyday before the infrastructure came to support them.

That, in part, may explain why Tesla is so preoccupied with Superchargers, a very wise choice IMHO.

It may also explain why hydrogen cars will be a non-starter, even despite their numerous attractions. Is there a 'killer app' to make ubiquitous hydrogen infrastructure a reality? I hope so, but I'd not count on it.

In the meantime I will wager that Elon is understating the energy storage pace of development. We might see something soon other than li-ion, maybe even the PSA compressed fluids or something like that. There are many possibilities.

For now I do love my Model S, but I do think it, too, is a transitional technology.

Just after the turn of the century there were even battery swap stations in major cities. Drive in, some kids wearing knickers and wool caps change out your batteries for fresh ones, and drive off a few minutes later.

Then the electric starter motor ruined everything. Well, not really. Material science was nowhere near advanced enough at the time to properly develop usable lithium batteries, let alone the more advanced options in development now.