Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Printing an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3D prints an electric vehicle in just five days

This is why it won't happen any time soon. Dedicated 'non-flexible' production systems are generally much faster, much more consistent, cheaper (at high production volume), and create higher quality parts, using less total material.

3D printing is great for prototyping, small runs, and spare parts (inventory alternitive). But it isn't close to being ready for mass production. It might never even make it to mass production.

Strati: 3D printed electric car

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/a...ar-shopping-click-print-to-make-your-own.html

The car consists of fewer than 50 parts, the company says, including a 45-kilowatt electric motor and a transmission donated by Renault, along with headlights, taillights, wheels and a steering column bought from other manufacturers.

Printed components are made out of ABS plastic (same material as LEGO), weighs 2200 lbs., top speed of 50 MPH and range of 62 miles per charge. Printing the components took 44 hours, and the vehicle took a total of 4 days to completely assemble.

Obviously this vehicle is a bit crude and not suited to use by the general public, but it's a fascinating look at what is possible with 3D printing.

Is this a DIY Roadster? :biggrin:

3D printing is in its infancy. When your home printer can print most of the products you would use... now THAT would be a disruptive innovation.
"Replicator." Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to see it but synthesizing food from the building blocks will be a welcome change for those that aren't totally purist (think digital copies of CD music vs. physical copies of vinyl).

"But but it won't be as good as..."
"Right, but it's likely better than TV dinners with a jillion preservatives and ..."

If you combine a good projection user experience (audio and holograms) and a good (food capable) replicator, the desire for a transporter becomes less.

I don't see a link to the actual Local Motors product page yet, so I thought I'd drop it in here.
Local Motors - 3d Printed Car

This is just my personal speculation, but I'd like to see a world in which Tesla supplies drive units, batteries and control electronics that can be installed in a personalized Local Motors type vehicle. For a small, lightweight roadster like the Strati even a single 188 hp drive unit (front drive unit of S85D) might be plenty of fun.