Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego to Yuma to Phoenix - doable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip to Phoenix and am wondering about the first leg of the trip: San Diego to Yuma, AZ.

Since the El Centro supercharger isn't operational yet, I'm wondering how realistic it is. I asked someone at the local service center and he paused before responding, then said it's doable but "...not without a little range anxiety."

Anyone done this trip? In an 85? Doable? Barely?

I haven't done it, but I wouldn't hesitate to try. The only real worry would be if there's a headwind out in the desert, so I (being a pilot) would check the weather at Imperial or Calexico airports; the winds out there can be very strong, which is why it's filling up with turbines and solar panels. Just don't succumb to the temptation to keep up with the traffic; 80-85 mph is normal despite the local predators, and that would kill your range. Set the cruise control to 70, then when some sort of SUV crawls past you, slot in behind him, not too close, until he starts trying to figure out what you're doing... then rinse and repeat. No problem.

This trip seems like it's halfway between 'no-brainer' and 'doable...barely' in an 85. Just keep your speeds lower at the start of each leg until it becomes clear you'll make it with a nice cushion. 'Start slow; end fast' should be every EV road-tripper's mantra.

Yuma AZ to San Diego CA and San Diego CA to Yuma AZ are both very doable in an 85kWh. You'll arrive at both locations with about 30 miles remaining if your were fully charged up when you left.....and stayed near the speed limit both ways. I've done it several times. My starting/ending point in San Diego CA was the Navy Base 32nd street San Diego CA.

I did Del mar to Yuma this morning. It was no problem. We had a nice breakfast at the Copper Miner Kitchen restaurant (a very short walk from the superchargers) and had 258 miles ready when we walked back to the car.

Yuma to Tucson was a bit harder partly because I could not drive 65. :) We ended up stopping at the Bowlin travel center for 70amp charge. (Yeah dual chargers). It will be cake once Gila Bend goes live...