Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OSes and virus/malware susceptibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
(Mod note: discussion split from Inside EVs malware?)
And if you have a Mac, malware or any types of viruses are not an issue, worry or concern :wink:

Not strictly true. You still need to clean that other operating system's malware off--typically received in mail--so that you don't unwittingly pass it to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
>> And if you have a Mac, malware or any types of viruses are not an issue, worry or concern [Mr X]

> The first virus I ever encountered was called nVIR-A, circa 1989, and it hit the Mac I used at work. [Doug_G]

Since 2002 Macs are running OSX which is a version of BSD UNIX, a whole different animal from the old OS9 on its ancient hardware. OSX/UNIX about as bulletproof as it gets, as is IBM OS2 and the Linux distributions. That about covers it; am I forgetting someone? :wink:

And if you have a Mac, malware or any types of viruses are not an issue, worry or concern :wink:
What do you call this?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4650

Just Google "OSX malware" and you get plenty of hits. The reality is no OS is 100% bulletproof. This is esp. true as a lot of malware today are Trojan horses (which can affect any OS as it involves tricking the user into letting it in).

I have been using my Mac since 2010 and haven't had a single problem, its been absolutely flawless. No viruses, malware, nothing. And i've downloaded and been on lots of virus heavy sites. I'm very impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
InsideEV apparently does not screen adverts (for malware) published on its webpages but relies on Google to do this. MSoft in its OSen never has set up limits to its executable functions such that simple-assed malware is stymied. Only explanation I've come across is that Bill Gates himself has always been a gamer and especially since *live* gaming has become popular he has insisted that MSoft out-of-the-box OSen have little or no restrictions to executables since providing these would limit 'instant live gaming'. And the MacAffee anti-virus industry steps in to provide malware screening for the installed WindozOS, a very profitable industry indeed. Smart MSoft users however can make mods to their OS to make it quite bullet-proof, the same mods that one would expect MSoft to do in the first place. These mods plus safe-sex practices would have eliminated the need for the MacAffee industry in the first place.

MacOSX, Linux, Unix, Google-ChromeOS, Mint/Atari, OS2, etc *all* have limits to executable functions in the form of PERMISSIONS. Each file has a set of permissions which set the rules for what that file can do, and which set the rules for what an application can do with that file. Users need to practice rudimentary safe-sex practices in handling external input. Experienced users report ZERO problems when asked, since it is a non-issue for them. And they do not need special anti-virus solutions; these are built-in already.

The 'MacAffee' industry continues to fear monger to increase their sales to non-MSoft users. They make sure there are always news stories about the latest Mac-virus. Then they can sell their wares to ex-MSoft users who migrate to Macs, who can be easily convinced that Macs need anti-virus protection too.
--