Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo - Standard vs. Upgrade - I have seven questions >>

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, SEVEN questions (I couldn't modify the title).

I've been getting conflicting answers (even from a Tesla rep) on what the EXACT differences are between the standard and upgraded (Studio Standard?) $2500 system.

Yes, I have ordered the TECH PACKAGE.

I understand the upgraded has XM, a subwoofer and a few more speakers. I was hoping some people can chime in here to help clarify the following SEVEN points:

1. Are both systems capable of streaming through Bluetooth?

2. Are both systems capable of streaming internet audio (such as Rdio, Pandora, etc.)?

3. Can you, using your voice, "talk" to the both systems - asking them to play certain songs… or is voice recognition just for the upgraded system?

4. Does the upgraded system offer more options (such as more equalizer options, etc.) - and if so, what are the differences?

5. HD Radio - can both systems play it?

6. What, exactly, does the upgraded system offer in the way of speakers (how many more, better quality, better placement)?

7. If I were to go with a Reus Audio upgrade, is it worth it paying $2500 extra for the upgraded system? Has anyone heard a Reus with standard vs upgrade?

** Please feel free to add anything else that I may have missed **

Thank you!

Last edited:
1-4 are all yes assuming you have the Tech Package, not sure without it. Slacker and TuneIn are available now, with others probably coming later. Direct internet streaming from within the web Browser for other sources is part of 6.0)

5 & 6 I'm not sure.

1. Yes.

2. You would need to access the apps through your phone. Native support is limited to Slacker and Tunein.

3. The system supports numerous voice commands. You can dial via voice, but the steering wheel interface is fabulous. You can ask it to play songs, but, to my knowledge, only through Slacker (and not your phone or USB). While a lot of people complain about the audio quality of Slacker, it is amazing having any song available on command at your whim.

4. Upgraded stereo adds Dolby surround, XM, and a lot of volume. I didn't opt for it due to price, but the sound quality difference is definitely notable.

5. HD radio is supported.

6. It adds a sub, additional rear and front speakers, and the sound quality is better.

7. I was concerned about the sound system based upon all of the forum posts when I purchased the car, but I wouldn't invest that much money in an upgrade based upon my experience with the standard system. I am very happy with it, but am not an audiophile and am happy trading off sound quality for convenience. I have come to really enjoy having music on command via slacker, and cannot believe that that feature is not more heavily advertised.

Last edited:
I think all should be the same on standard vs upgraded... the only difference is the upgraded has two extra speakers in the trunk hatch below the window, and a sub. I think the sub might have its own amp, if that's true then you get another amp...

FWIW, I have the upgraded, but got it at the old (reasonable) price. With the new pricing, I'd def go standard put the moolah towards the Reus... if they're going to be taking door panels off, etc then that's the perfect time to add some dynomat or some other sound deadening materials.. the MS is not as quiet as it should be... especially if you're on the 21's or P+

6. 8" speakers in front doors, 6" in rear doors and 8" sub in rear + 2 speakers in hatch 3-1/2" - all paper cones. also 4 separate front A pillar/dash mid & tweeters and center channel on dash (3 X 3-1/2" dash & 2 X 1" tweeters )

Was recently thinking about upgrading the dash speakers + possibly sub ...soon) I just did audio sine wave test tones and 29-39Hz or so, the front dash speakers hate! + the sub only really starts above 32Hz or so

still need to look at the front speaker sizes.
after the rain

Last edited:
2. You would need to access the apps through your phone. Native support is limited to Slacker and Tunein.

Would this be true for both the standard and the $2500 upgraded system?

3. The system supports numerous voice commands. You can dial via voice, but the steering wheel interface is fabulous. You can ask it to play songs, but, to my knowledge, only through Slacker (and not your phone or USB). While a lot of people complain about the audio quality of Slacker, it is amazing having any song available on command at your whim.

Same here - would this be the case with both systems?

6. 8" speakers in front doors vs 6"? and sub in rear + 2 speakers in hatch 3-1/2"? also 4 separate front A pillar/dash mid & tweeters (not sure of size)
I thought the rear door speakers were 8" too but need to look again. ( Was recently thinking about upgrading the dash speakers + sub ...soon)
Oh, if you're sure about this then I stand corrected. I thought it was just the sub and the two speakers in the back hatch

Oh, if you're sure about this then I stand corrected. I thought it was just the sub and the two speakers in the back hatch

the new order page shows the speaker locations. I forgot there was a tweeter and a mid in the dash area, which makes a lot more sense why there is trouble w/ certain really low bass from the dash(sounds like a plastic bag is too close to a woofer or something). I was thinking it was just a tweeter up there.

Upgrade - All door speakers are dedicated midbass/woofers in the upgrade w/ tweeter/mid speakers separate. the rear hatch (not 100% sure) has mid/tweeter speaker while front has the center and tweeter and mids. (12 total speakers ) I realized the size difference on one of the factory tours in the interior assembly area and was glad I had the bigger door speakers in case I ever wanted to put 'better' speakers in (don't think it needs better door speakers just bigger sub and better dash& maybe hatch speakers)

Standard -no rear deck tweeters and (probably) has full range rear door speakers + full range front door speakers with A pillar tweeters and a center channel (7 total)

ui_option_sound_package_ultra_high_1_large.jpg

Last edited:
I've been extreemeelllyyyy underwhelmed by the standard audio package. My family's Mercedes C300 at 1/3 the cost of this car has a sound system that blows the Tesla's out of the water. The standard audio package sounds extremely flat and does not provide a "full" stage feeling. It sounds like audio is coming from two speakers, and not like I'm surrounded by speakers. Totally disappointing, but I did not want to shell out $2,500 for upgraded audio. I feel like you spend half of that and likely get something that sounds a hell of a lot better than the upgraded audio.

I have the upgraded sound with Reus upgrade-sounds phenomenal. Would recommend going basic sound then upgrading with Reus as long as XM is not important to you. The imaging, range, and clarity are much better with Reus. They do not touch the door panels but add a center speaker on the rearview mirror post, replace the A pillar speakers, install new crossovers, add an amp/rear subwoofer based in your rear configuration, and then tune the system based on your music preferences. Install was done in my garage in4-5 yours and I was happy they have done many systems. Didn't want to trust someone taking my car apart who didn't know what they were doing. Just my 2 cents.

$2500 is steep and I would not have done it if it was that much. would have replaced the factory speakers and added a sub myself. But for $950 including bigger door speakers + 4 more speakers/speaker locations and a sub/amp, I think it was worth it.

I have never actually heard what the standard sounds like but the Reus system at Teslve sounded pretty nice compared to the factory 'sound studio'

I think this was the upgraded audio w/ the Reus though?

..what nkohlimd said :wink:

Would this be true for both the standard and the $2500 upgraded system?

Both systems are identical in function (other than the added features). Until Tesla adds native support for the apps, you would need to stream them through the iPhone. Once Tesla releases a dev kit, the sky is the limit. For right now, however, you would need to

Same here - would this be the case with both systems?

Yes.

Can you post an example of a custom URL, and I'll give it a go.

Basically, the favorites I defined on my Mac show up in the car, so I guess it should work

I get my URL's from here:

Comedy Radio Stations - Free Internet Radio

Here's one:

http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=208303

On my phone with Tune-In, I click "Favourites" then "+ Add New Custom URL" then save it with the name of the station in my Favourites. Thanks for looking into it for me. Only 16 more days to wait for my car and then I will be able to find out first hand. I can't wait!

I get my URL's from here:

Comedy Radio Stations - Free Internet Radio

Here's one:

http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=208303

On my phone with Tune-In, I click "Favourites" then "+ Add New Custom URL" then save it with the name of the station in my Favourites. Thanks for looking into it for me. Only 16 more days to wait for my car and then I will be able to find out first hand. I can't wait!

Have you been able to get this to work in your car Canuck? I just received my car last week and so far I haven't been able to get any of my custom TuneIn URLs to work. I'll be very excited for the 6.0 internet MP3 streaming, but in the mean time it would be great to be able to create some custom TuneIn stations based on other MP3 URLs...

What is the recommended way to take music to the store to test the same tunes in both systems? On a USB thumb drive?

That is what I plan to do when I go in for a test drive on Tuesday. It's what I also did when purchasing my present Lexus and MBZ, and it worked out just fine. For maximum compatibility, I first format the stick with FAT32 (not the default if you are a Mac kinda guy like me), then put a dozen tracks on in the same format (e.g. MP3, MP4, AAC non-DRM, etc) and highest bitrate I plan to use day-in-and-out. Good luck!