Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TX Triangle is finished!

Driving the TX Triangle in Tesla's Convoy? Driving between Dallas-Austin-Houston.

• Yes!

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our TX Triangle is finished! Would you be interested in having a Tesla Rally between Dallas-Austin-San Antonio-Houston? I think it would get awesome media coverage. Each city would probably carry a news story about this.

This needs to be done on a Weekend so more people can attend. We could "Check In" at the Tesla Stores/Service Center and pick up items? It would be cool if we received goodies for making the Triangle tour.

85 Batteries will have no issue, but us with 60's will need to add charge at the Tesla Stores/Service Center. I learned driving to the Capital from Dallas (for the Tesla hearings,) "normal" driving will only get you 120 miles. Here is the route for 60's from DFW:

Driving Leg
Miles
Hours
Minutes
Charging
Dallas Service to Waco
Super
Waco to Austin Domain
HPWC-30 min, adds 30 miles
Austin Domain to San Marcus
Super
San Marcus to San Antonio Alamo
San Antonio Alamo to San Marcus
Super
San Marcus to Columbus
Super
Columbus to Houston Galleria
HPWC-30 min, adds 30 miles
Houston Galleria to Huntsville
Super
Huntsville to Corsicana
Super
Corsicana to Dallas Service
Total
If we recharge for 30 minutes at 8 locations, this adds 4 hours to the journey. Total Time = 15 hours 49 minutes for 60's. Do this on a weekend, and it makes it more enjoyable - 8 hours each day with dining/shopping.

City-to-City
Miles
Hours
Minutes
Charging
DFW-HOU
2 stops charging
HOU-SAT
1 stop charging
SAT-AUS
1 stop charging for 60's
AUS-DFW
1 stop charging
Total
5 PLUS Service Centers for 60's
TxTriangle.jpg

Attachments

• TxTriangle.jpg
    TxTriangle.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
I think a victory lap is in order. It would take all day, but could be fun.

"Drive the Texas Triangle for FREE"

The West Coast trip TMC did was 1400 miles.
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and back is over 700 miles.

And, to not leave out the non-Dallas MS owners, we could also do it like a One-Lap:
Dallas people start down to Houston,
pick up the Houston people on the way to SA,
pick up the SA people on the way to Austin,
pick up the Austin people on the way back to Dallas.

All along the way, we'd pick up the people inside the points of the triangle.
The large group would be together in Dallas for photo ops, interviews, etc.
The people that get picked up along the way would then finish their own circuit without the Dallas people (or just drive back home ;) )

Since it looks like a 10 hour non-stop drive at "normal speeds" we'd add a few hours for Supercharger top offs (due to maxing out the Superchargers ;) )

I'd be happy to create some "One Lap Texas #DriveFree" stickers as well for all participants!

TMC's West Coast team was about 3-4 cars. The Texas owners could show up in the dozens!

Austin to San Marcos is out of the way if the idea is Dallas-Austin-Houston. Just do Austin to Columbus on Hwy. 71 all the way. (This assumes the Austin service centers will have superchargers.)
People who don't have time to do the whole triangle can pick it up in their city, drive to the next one, and turn around (for example if it starts Dallas to Austin, some Austin people could join the drive to Houston and return rather than go on to Dallas)

Austin to San Marcos is out of the way if the idea is Dallas-Austin-Houston. Just do Austin to Columbus on Hwy. 71 all the way. (This assumes the Austin service centers will have superchargers.)
People who don't have time to do the whole triangle can pick it up in their city, drive to the next one, and turn around (for example if it starts Dallas to Austin, some Austin people could join the drive to Houston and return rather than go on to Dallas)

That is a good point - but a problem until Austin gets a Super Charger. Austin to Columbus is 97.1 Miles, takes 1 hour 32 minutes.

I'm not willing to wait until it's installed (newness of the Triangle being complete,) so there isn't an option currently without going to San Marcos - especially for us with 60 batteries.

Last edited:
I'm in. Drive through San Antonio and you could make it a "quad-city" triangle with more potential media coverage. Loop 1604 (city limit) is only ~30 miles from San Marcos. San Marcos to Columbus, via San Antonio, is 151 miles. Still within reach of a 60.

Last edited:
I can't believe you guys are skipping San Antonio.

Looks like a two day trip anyway.

GSP

Agreed, San Antonio mustn't be skipped.
The Most Authentic of Texas Cities...

It is about 174 Miles from San Marcos via San Antonio to Columbus.
Line up all the cars at the Alamo, take some great photos..

That distance might be a bit dicey for a 60 though, unless they drove 55 to 58 MPH, staying in the Right Lane.
The rest of the trip is a piece of cake.

We typically have a bit going on, but would love to accompany for a few legs - maybe Waco-Austin-San Marcos. I think it would also be great publicity to take a route through the Domain (and by the Tesla store) in Austin. The chargers are in the adjacent parking garage. Let me know, we (and Ohmar) will be waiting at the Waco CSB :)

You're saying that Dallas & Houston have Superchargers at their service stations already?

Not yet. ONCOR has to install 480 volt transformers first. Next year should be good, but we need to jump on the triangle being finished soon!

- - - Updated - - -

That distance might be a bit dicey for a 60 though, unless they drove 55 to 58 MPH, staying in the Right Lane.

I like the idea of San Antonio, but 60's can't make it UNLESS we can charge where there are HPWC's. It's 43.6 miles to the Alamo (43 minutes,) then 123 miles to Columbus (1 hour 45 minutes.) It's the same problem for non-DFW people coming through Dallas. If homeowners are willing to share their HPWC's with us, then it WILL work! I am willing to share my HPWC at my house & office with Triangle runners. I hope other DFW & SAN residents will share theirs - then it can be a quad-city tour.

Last edited:

I wonder if the 60s can cut across from Columbus to San Marcus while the 85s swing by and grab the SA folks. I know I wouldn't be offended. That would also give them a head start on charging up before we get there.

Well, 3 people hit all 5 Super Chargers yesterday for the Ribbon-Cutting in Corsicana & Huntsville. It took them over 15 hours, and their wives said they wouldn't join them. My wife said the same thing. She said make it a weekend deal then we have time to shop, dine, and relax! I think it would be less stressful that way.

I also found out that charging at the Service Centers isn't as good as charging at the stores. They have more charging and HPWC's at the stores. I redid the map showing the stores instead. They are open on Sunday from 12-6 in Austin & 11-7 in Houston. I'm still waiting on Marketing to see what they can give us.

Here is a cool pic from yesterday (Parker & Daniel Eng took many cool videos/pictures)
TeslaCorsicana.jpg
TeslaCorsicanaAir.jpg

Let's wait until the Space X tour is finished, and the North Park Store is open in Dallas. Then this could be an awesome 2 day weekend trip, or for those that are bold - a 1 day trip. My wife likes the 2 day weekend trip idea. Plenty of time to eat, see and socialize with other owners.

Did you guys see our Earth Day TX video? It turned out pretty cool having 24 of us there. Thanks Raz Friman! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la5_CKk_xn8

EarthDayTXAerial.jpg