Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: EMF Radiation

Roadster #108 and SSL #61
    Would this meter do the trick?

All EMF Products - Digital Electric Field Meter

Roadster #619
    Looks like it should work!

It's great to see this topic. It seems the EMF concern is one that is not adequately discussed in the EV arena. A week ago, I actually asked Tesla Client Advisor Mike Falcone about this in relation to their Model S. His response:
    I've been asked about the safety of the electronics before and I've been told that they generate less radiation than a microwave oven.
    So apparently they have made an effort to make sure the EMFs are well within safe levels for the Model S as well. Which, since I'm on the waiting list, is something I'm very happy to hear!

Aren't microwave ovens unsafe at close distance for long periods of exposure? Most people don't run their microwaves for more than a couple minutes. That's not true of running your electric car.

It's a poor comparison I think.

We were trying out a new spectrum analyser in the office recently when someone switched on a microwave on the other side of the room (about 30ft away). It completely swamped the signals from an adjacent phone that we were using to check it with, the background cellular networks and the nearby wifi access point which were also showing up. Something for the campaigners (and people working in kitchens) to consider.

But like Tesla Dave says, you wouldn't sit near a microwave for a couple of hours, so perhaps they need to get a better comparison.

@dpeilow: Maybe the microwave has faulty seals? A new microwave with good seals should have very little microwave leakage - but the EMFs from its transformer is another matter!

Come to think of it, I remember at the Menlo Park event when Elon got too close to the car it caused some bad static in his microphone. (Anyone else noticed that?)
    But then it is just a prototype, and they are aware of their customers' concerns regarding EMFs - so hopefully this won't be a problem in the production model.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    Come to think of it, I remember at the Menlo Park event when Elon got too close to the car it caused some bad static in his microphone. (Anyone else noticed that?)
    That "static" was just feedback because he was too close to the speaker.

Really? If it was feedback it would sound like a squeal. I heard static like you would hear on an empty AM frequency.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I suppose there could have been something else too.

This is an excellent topic and one that I've often thought about. As EVs become more popular, EMF exposure may generate some buzz and actually become a point of contention for those who would benefit from ICE technologies.

Thread Information