Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self driving cars: Tesla promises autopilot by 2016

I've always prefered the Skytran system myself. Much lighter footprint and much lower cost.

Name:  1328637_orig.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  76.6 KB

(Skip ahead about 3 minutes)
    I don't own a Tesla (yet), but I do own TSLA. Living vicariously through you guys in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
    The last part brings up something that I hadn't considered before. Autonomous delivery of everything from groceries to truckloads of cargo... No crumple zones, no HVAC, no seats, etc. It would be the ground-based 4 wheeled version of a drone aircraft that can do amazing things because the pilot is no longer part of the equation. It could be small and light, but still have the speed to keep up with traffic.
    To take that idea one step further, imagine certain times of day (say between 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM) where some of the lanes of an interstate highway become dedicated to autonomous traffic only, no humans allowed. With increased speed limits and decreased spacing between machines, a true road train zipping goods to market.
    --Woof!
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Heart of the Alaska Range AudubonB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
    How much of a modern car or truck is devoted to driver/passenger room, safety and comfort? How small, light and efficient could a purpose-built delivery vehicle be if people were the only thing it couldn't carry? No crumple zones, no HVAC, no seats, etc. It would be the ground-based 4 wheeled version of a drone aircraft that can do amazing things because the pilot is no longer part of the equation. It could be small and light, but still have the speed to keep up with traffic.

Yes.....but you must consider societal norms. HOW does one flip off a driverless vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by AudubonB View Post
    HOW does one flip off a driverless vehicle?
    I imagine it would look something like this:

Name:  1242833617883.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  35.1 KB

Oh, sorry, that was the driverless vehicle doing the flipping off!

(actually I really wanted a pic of the scutters doing the "V" sign, but couldn't find one. TEG?)
    --Woof!
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy.Roma View Post
    Then I saw a movie of a car going to park to the garage alone (without driver inside). I wouldn't leave the responsability of my car to the electronics. What if an IC gets broken and somebody gets hurt? Electronics is good but always under control of the driver IMO.
    Ha funny, so you're either driving a real old-timer now or won't be driving any car anymore. Today's cars are already full of electronics, and most mistakes are made by the driver, not the electronics. If a fully electronic car brakes down (Model S?) even the driver can do little, except perhaps brake and/or steer. I'm sure like in airplanes, full autonomous cars will have backup systems that will avoid major incidents. Also take for example consumer electronics, when was the last time a device broke down - on its own. Usually these devices break because of the battery lifespan or improper usage. The IC's hardly ever give out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rla View Post
    The IC's hardly ever give out.
    You said it right. But ICs, even with a very little percentage of probability, can get broken. There are criteria concerning the reliability of ICs. They are designed and produced according to reliability criteria. But also if you design an IC with the requirement that it has to last 50 years you can never be sure that it will perform according to the reliability criteria of its design.
    So IMO obstacle and pedestrian detection, blind spot detection and ACC (even ACC able to action brakes) are very welcome, but complete autopilot (expecially without driver inside ) is not for me.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

As Spock would say, fascinating.
    P85 | White/Tan Leather | Matte Obeche | Pano | Air | Tech | 21" Silver
    CF Spoiler | Sound | Premium Interior Lighting | Fog Lamps | Parcel Shelf
    Alcantara Headliner | Warp Drive

Thread Information