Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire changes/rotations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a silly question to ask, but I am hesitant to let anyone other than Tesla touch the car. For basic things like tire changes (flats) and rotations, where are people taking their cars (if not doing themselves)? Any experience with Pep Boys with your Tesla?

IMO, if you have 19" tires, I'd let most any tire store do the work. If you have 21" tires, then I think you need to be more careful. You'll want someone who deals with low profile tires regularly -- not Costco or Sears.

Also, if you have air suspension, you want to help them set that properly for the lift and you may want to know where the lift points are so you can confirm that the store uses them -- but it's not that complicated and they should be able to figure that out.

If you have 21" tires, then I think you need to be more careful. You'll want someone who deals with low profile tires regularly -- not Costco or Sears

Not even Firestone. They fixed a tire for me and I had a curious vibration starting some time later and lasting for months, until Tesla looked at the car and fixed it.

Apparently you have to mark the wheel position on removal and replace it the same way when you put it back - which I (and evidently FireStone as well) never thought of before. And of course they had the torque wrong as well.

So Tesla only from now on for me.

Does the Tesla Service Center usually charge for the rotation, alignment, balancing? If so, what have people seen as the cost for tire service at the Tesla Service Centers?

I was charged 125$ to mount and balance aftermarket rims/tires.

I recently booked an appointment to rotate the tires and it is no cost. (I believe I read elsewhere that you can have your tires rotated twice yearly for no cost.)

I was charged 125$ to mount and balance aftermarket rims/tires.

I recently booked an appointment to rotate the tires and it is no cost. (I believe I read elsewhere that you can have your tires rotated twice yearly for no cost.)

I would actually recommend that you do. I recently joined the club of those replacing tires because of the camber in the rear. The tires were rotated at 9k and went out at 14k (so only 5k while in the rear, but 14k total miles). It probably would have happened sooner without the rotation, and at about a 1k cost to replace both rears, it's definitely worthwhile IMO.

I just rotated tires, although it wasn't due to camber. After 13,000 km the rears were approaching the wear bars.

(Mind you, these tires have fared a LOT better than my Roadster's. It's a major bonus that you can actually rotate them!)

I have the 19" tires and I just turned over 5,000 miles. I have a slight wear starting on the rears, on the insides, so based on what I've been reading on this forum I decided to rotate them today. Where did I go? I thought long and hard about this because the rims are so easy to scratch, I was terrified of someone rushing and wrecking them. (Columbus is out of the question.) So at the end of the process I took the car to my trusted mechanic down the street from my house. One great thing about going this route, I was able to assist. I actually did 90% of the work (my choice) so not a scratch was had. (And I learned something LOL!)
Also, it was slow at the shop so I worked with Vince and showed him exactly where the lift pads are and how the car works. He now knows what this car is all about and the care that must be taken working on it. Finally, we looked over the brakes and suspension, so if anybody in the Walled Lake area needs a Model S rotation done, I think you should consider using him.
Vince Camaj, Camaj Auto
120 S Pontiac Trail
248-624-3491
Cheers!

The annual service plan may include rotation/balance at the annual service and again at 6250 miles/6 months. I'm putting about 2000 miles per month on my P85 and just completed the 12,500 service - so I'll find out in about 3 months whether or not the rotation/balance are included in the service plan...

I have the 4-year Service Maintenance contract and had my 19" tires rotated at 5+K miles, courtesy of Tesla. You should check with your local Service Center if they do the courtesy rotation for you prior to your next maintenance.