Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Glass App for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cool, now we just need tesla to create a bluetooth profile for car status
that way the glasses can show real time information, or a in car phone app

Code:
{accelerator: -35Kw},
{speed: 65mph},
{direction: 180},
{GPS: 12.11.11-14.22.22},
{Navigation:turn left 50 yart}
{speedlimit:70mph}
{light:on},
{indicator:right},
{brake:on},
{battery: 42KwH},
{range: 100miles}

Cross post from one of the articles I commented on; but worth sharing w the forum here. I have had my Glass for over a month now, and used it in all sorts of situations.

(The response was initially to folks asking to see side- or rear-view- mirror images streamed to the glass.)

I have used Glass while driving. Have you? Believe me me, you do NOT want a camera feed live from the sides or rear cameras in the screen.

The brain does not context-swap motion & perspective & left-right/ front-back that fast. Result: you may end up having the instinct to swerve in reaction to an incoming car in the little image. And it does take your eyes off the road to look at Glass; especially in terms of focal distance - enough to not make it effort-less and distraction-less; but not enough milliseconds to let your brain adjust.

The dash is actually a great place for extra info for driving - it's centered on the line of sight, you don't need to map what you are seeing to what is going on.

Here's some ideas:
Google glass app for the car while walking?

- Control weather, climate, luck/unlock etc

- Get battery state of charge, rate of charge etc

- Get car location, honk/lights.

- "Plan a trip" that uses Supercharger and high-amp charging stations; shows the travel time and ETA, and "sends" the itinerary to the car. Maybe this is too much; Glass seems best for single-interaction use cases.

While driving:

- At most, show turn by turn instructions, same as you get with the tech package in the left of the dash (not like the native google directions, it's not a great design)

(Have Glass, currently waiting for my Tesla)

Doesn't seem to have anything the iPhone app doesn't have?

That is because it uses the same API that the iPhone app uses. The value is that it runs on a device not supported by Tesla's app.

I have created a web interface for myself using the API so that I can access my Model S from my desk at work (or anywhere on any device) without pulling out my phone. Has exactly the same functions as Tesla's app but they didn't provide a way to get access from a desktop web browser, which I wanted. Nobody can provide additional functionality unless they have some secret info from Tesla the rest of us don't know.

The Google Glass is connected to an Android phone and all the control he describes could be done thru that. Cool enough! But he shows and describes what he claims might be the first 3rd-party Tesla app actually running on the Model S screen! How did he do that??

Small world. One of the folks helping with GlassTesla on the side happens to be a friend and co-worker. We were discussing random startup projects the other day when he mentioned what they had been doing with this app. He didn't know that I had a Model S! There are apparently some nifty apps - and not just for Google Glass - coming from this team for Tesla owners. They may have Tesla's ear too, it appears, but I won't go into that further. Needless to say, I directed him to some threads on TMC - VisibleTesla and such and this one - regarding what owners have and need.