Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

888 Mile Road Trip: NY -> Richmond, VA -> VA Beach -> Ocean City, MD -> NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
919.4 Mile Road Trip: NY -> Richmond, VA -> VA Beach -> Ocean City, MD -> NY

Hello All!

Doing my longest road trip to date (and will cross the 10,000 mile mark) from NY to Richmond, VA to VA BEach to Ocean City, MD and back to NY over 4 days.

All posted on the @TeslaRoadTrip Twitter Page! Join me - I left this morning!

https://twitter.com/TeslaRoadTrip

Map of entire trip:
BM46-s1CYAI6aDw.jpg

Aaron

Last edited:
Todd

Thanks - just got back from dinner with my sister and her kids... Made it here from the DE Supercharger with 40 projected miles remaining from a range charge. Averaged 294 Wh/mi at 70 mph with A/C on 72!

Luckily, a few months ago when she was having electrical work done, her electrician installed a 14-50 for me in the garage next to the breaker box for $150! So I will have a full standard charge when we leave for the beach tomorrow. Only 125 miles or so, so I'll be fine - but thanks a lot!

On Sunday afternoon will charge "Serenity" up at the VA Beach Whole Foods for my monday drive up to Assateague Island for Kayaking then a dinner in Berlin, MD at a fellow Model S owners home and a few hours of charging to make it up to the DE Supercharger Monday evening then home.... It will be a full, long day!

Aaron

Model S - "Serenity" - Happily Charging
IMG_1002.jpg

Outlet I had installed in my sisters home
IMG_1003.jpg

Impressive stats!
Since last charge - DE Supercharger to Richmond, VA - 70 mph Avg. A/C on 72.
Trip A - Whole trip so far
Trip B - Lifetime mileage
IMG_0999.jpg

Energy meter - last 30 miles to Richmond, VA
IMG_1001.jpg

Last edited:
Aaron have a great trip. Maybe on the way back home you can scope out some of the service areas in Northern Jersey to see where the superchargers are going. My best guess from the map is the Vince Lombardi Service Center but it is really hard to be certain.

Have fun at the beach!

Aaron,

Is your Berlin, MD stop the only way you're able to make it out to Ocean City, MD with enough charge? I briefly looked at making a trip out to Ocean City, MD and charging locations looked very sparse. Hope you have a good trip.

Aaron,

Is your Berlin, MD stop the only way you're able to make it out to Ocean City, MD with enough charge? I briefly looked at making a trip out to Ocean City, MD and charging locations looked very sparse. Hope you have a good trip.

Hi Logan

Virginia Beach to the Newark, DE Supercharger is 255 miles -- too far to make on a single charge. It just so happens that one of my fellow @TeslaRoadTrip drivers lives in the Ocean City, MD area - so I will be dropping in for a visit and charge for a couple of hours while we have dinner. From there it 's only 114 miles to the supercharger, so even 2 hours charging to get another 60 miles added should be more than enough.

Before reaching Ocean City, one of my two sisters and her husband and I will be stopping off at Assateague Island for a Kayak tour of the area and the wild horses! Should be amazing and will be documenting the whole trip including charging at the Whole Foods Market in Virginia Beach!

Aaron

Arrived in VA Beach! Richmond, VA -> VA Beach Stats:

118.6 miles, 39.2 kwh used, 330 Wh/mi average. Pano roof and windows open wide and music blasting the whole way!
IMG_1005.jpg

Stopped by the local Whole Foods for drinks, snacks and to check out the charging situation....
ICE'd! Had to wait 15 minutes to get into a spot where the cord would reach!
IMG_1004.jpg

Charging Works! 17 mi/hour...
IMG_1007.jpg

Finally.... The Hotel & Beach!
IMG_1012.jpg

Aaron

Aaron did you speak with Whole Foods about being Ice'd? Do they have signage or policies regarding the spots?

I did in fact speak with the Manager. They just recently put in the charger and don't have the spaces painted green or signs up yet. I suggested both and also filled out a comment card!!

Will get there early tomorrow morning to leave the car charging until full...

Aaron

Aaron, fantastic meeting you earlier. Thanks for letting me check out the car and for quick trip out on the road-boy, that acceleration is something! I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip and the Assateague adventures.

notmyernie

Was *great* meeting you last night as well. So thrilled you joined the forum just to contact me and satisfy your insatiable curiosity for all things Tesla and Elon Musk! I love to spread the good word and inform others of what a great car and company Tesla is!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

All -

Had a great weekend with my sisters, brother in law and 3 nieces in VA Beach. This morning, my sister from Michigan, my brother in law and I are driving north to Assateague Island for a Kayak tour and viewing the wild horses & ponies. Really looking forward to this part of the trip as well. I'm just over the 500 mile mark for this trip so far!

Left the Model S at Whole Foods Market (about 4 miles away) for the day and charged her up to 240 miles... took about 7.5 hours (17 mi/hr - 190 volts @ 30 amps). Had the chance to meet a fellow Tesla admirer that has been following us here on the forums for the past couple of weeks. She signed up just to private message me. She met me at Whole Foods and we spent some good quality Tesla Time and I took her for a short drive.... What a community!

Here are a few more pictures to share....

Map of next leg:
Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 7.43.46 AM.png

Charging yesterday @ Whole Foods:
IMG_1024.jpg

Dueling Pedicabs on the VA Beach Boardwalk
My sisters, brother in law and nieces:
IMG_1032.jpg

View of the beach from the hotel:
IMG_1013.jpg

Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron,
Interesting comments from the Whole Foods manager. I used the same chargers at Whole foods on one of my first road trips from northern Virginia to VA Beach in February and had major problems with ICEing then. I also left a comment card and spoke to the store manager. Sorry to hear nothing's changed with their signage, they have no special marking/paint on the spaces nor a sign saying EV parking only etc. compared to the cost of chargers, those would be minimal cost, seems to me they aren't motivated to make that happen. To make matters worse, the spots are prime spots right near the entrance, another temptation to ICEers. At least they were nice enough to let you charge for 7.5 hours!

All -

Did *unbelievably* well on the flat terrain during the drive from VA Beach -> Assateague Island area!
Had I continued going, this would have been a 300 mile range charge! Had a great time kayaking and did manage to see a herd of wild ponies. Beautiful weather and a great 3 hour diversion.

After kayaking, I headed up to the Ocean City, MD area to a fellow @TeslaRoadTrip members home for a couple hours of 14-50 charging to give me a little buffer for the drive straight up to the DE supercharger - although truth be told, I *possibly* could have made it without the stop. I am here now charging and updating this thread!

My sister brought her iPhone in a waterproof case - as soon as I get some pictures of the kayak tour, I'll post them here!

Stats for VA Beach -> Assateague Island area:
IMG_1038.jpg

Energy Graph for the last 30 miles of this leg:
IMG_1039.jpg

Oh DE Supercharger, how fond I am of thee......
IMG_1044.jpg

Stats of the Ocean City, MD -> DE Supercharger leg:
Not bad for 65-70 mph with the windows open (nice night - pano roof closed though)
IMG_1042.jpg

Energy graph for the last 30 miles of this leg:
IMG_1043.jpg

Aaron