Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Partial Autopilot Components To Be Incorporated Into The Model X ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ope not! except for adaptive cruise control.

Perhaps the AutoPilot features could be options, and even be available in small pieces that you could mix and match. Even updated at a later date post sale. So Adaptive Cruise Control could be one piece of AutoPilot.

Later if you saw a friend's AutoPark that you liked, you could add that piece of AutoPilot to your MX through software & sensor updates.

Perhaps the AutoPilot features could be options, and even be available in small pieces that you could mix and match. Even updated at a later date post sale. So Adaptive Cruise Control could be one piece of AutoPilot.

Later if you saw a friend's AutoPark that you liked, you could add that piece of AutoPilot to your MX through software & sensor updates.

Why would they do it any differently than for the Model S? Tesla has gone for fewer bundles, rather than unbundling features. Right now they have an optional "Autopilot Convenience Features" bundle, which you can include in your order or pay more to have added later. That's it. I expect the Model X will be the same. In fact, I expect the hardware and software will be the same.

I know it is an old thread, but here is the current speculation summary from my May summary of TMC Model X speculation:

5) "Auto-pilot 2" of some kind is almost a certainty in my mind, although I also expect it to trickle down to Model S in the near future - but I expect this to be beyond what is currently shipping on Model S. Elon is quoted as saying they will ship something with Model X that is beyond what they currently do on autonomous front. This is also an area where Model S currenly is behind the competition. All this may mean one or more of the following: additional cameras, an upgrade to the EyeQ3 (EyeQ4?) chip, a new chip from nVidia (theoretically DRIVE PX but could also be any Tegra upgrade) and/or addition of more radars such as rear radars. Currently Model S only has two cameras (one front, one back), one front radar and the twelve ultrasonics. The average German high-end competitor has, in addition to the usual twelve ultrasonics, at least four radars (two front and back) or more and at least six cameras or more. "The X will have a step beyond what we’re currently shipping on the autonomous front"

6) Coupled with the previous I expect all-around view for parking as well as potentially replacing rear-view mirror (or eventually side mirrors). Some of the mule(s) have been seen with what look like fog-light area and high-up B pillar cameras for these purposes. Of course the mule(s) have also been witnessed doing what look like active lane keeping. Photos and further reading on this: Model X mule(s) show signs of nVidia Tegra X1 Drive PX platform - no rear mirror! and B pillar mounted side camera on the Model X mule(s)? Model X side mirrors (cameras on prototype, real mirrors on mules) have, of course, also been a hot topic: Model X Side Mirrors Currenly I'm leaning on initial Model X shipping with similar regular mirrors than Model S, but who knows. There was also talk of competitors concepting see-through A pillars and video that looked like Model X might be testing the same, but it turned out to be just a missing panel (Theory: Model X has A pillars (see-through video)?).

Regarding new cameras, unfortunately the latest mule findings suggest we haven't (at least yet) seen any proof of new cameras in Model X mules. Of course that may or may not mean anything for the production version.

Availability
Engineering samples of EyeQ4® are expected to be available by the fourth quarter of 2015. First test hardware with the full suite of applications including active safety suite of customer functions, environmental modeling (for each of the 8 cameras), path planning for hands-free driving and fusion with sensors, is expected to be available in the second quarter of 2016. Series production is supported for early 2018 start of production.
Moving Closer to Automated Driving, Mobileye Unveils EyeQ4® System-on-Chip with its First Design... -- JERUSALEM, March 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Thank you for the update and clarification on EyeQ4 schedule.

I am currently leaning on Model X having EyeQ3 and perhaps some upgraded Tegra hardware, plus new sensors, resulting in an improved auto-pilot, all-around camera support etc. but probably not a dramatic change over current Model S auto-pilot in terms of core hardware that runs it.