Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip from DFW to Lincoln, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
Just got back from a trip in the Model S from Dallas to Lincoln. First the Wunder Roost bed and breakfast in Roca--8 miles south of Lincoln--installed a 14-50, so if you're traveling to Lincoln consider staying there. Jim and Kay are real nice folks.
WunderRoost_B_and_B.jpg

Other charging places:

Arbuckle Adventure RV Park. Davis, OK. Didn't need a reservation. It's a bit hard to find because the GPS doesn't come within two miles of the place. Best way to find it is to go on Highway 7 from Sulpher and then find Kay Starr Trail (GPS works for this). It's where Kay Starr Trail comes closest to Hwy 77. The Chickasaw National Recreational Park would be an alternative, but they were always full.
Arbuckle_Adventure_RV_park.jpg

Winfield fairgrounds. Winfield, KS. Note that the GPS directs you to the downtown fairgrounds where there isn't any RV parking. What you do is go west rather than east on Hwy 160, cross the railroad tracks, and it's right there on the south side. Although I didn't check many, it appears that all the 50 amp plugs are on the tarmac and the 30 amp plugs are in the wooded area. No reservation needed. There are many 50 amp sites but I was told that there are a few special events each year where they fill up so phone to make sure you're not traveling on one of those days. (Memorial day wasn't a problem)
Winfield_fairgrounds.jpg

Milford State Park. This is the nicest location of the three. It also costs $23.50 for a site plus $5 for a car sticker. I went in late at night and the directions on the sign for how to pay after hours were confusing at best. I didn't require a reservation going up, but I did on the way back (Memorial day). When I showed my reservation, the Park lady looked at me like I was from Mars but there were no actual issues.
Winfield_state_park.jpg

Route taken: Highway 377 to 177 to 77. No Interstate travel required. A very pleasant drive.

Tip: When sleeping in the Model S, orient your head to the rear of the car under the cargo shelf. This cuts off the light from the parking lot lights.

Problems:

Master charger failed. Ranger Rick flew out and replaced the charger at the Wunder Roost. I never actually lost the use of the car, although I was careful with the distances driven for a couple of days.

UMC started overheating. This was only a problem on the way back at the last (Davis, OK) charge stop. I had to switch to a different 14-50 (although the one that stopped 15 minutes after starting to charge had charged fine on the way up). The second 14-50 worked fine with no problems (I dialed the amps down to 38 from 40). When I got home the UMC started heating up badly and after I finish writing this up, I'll go down to the service centre and pick up a new one.

Details:

Panel breaker slightly warm (These were hot at the Davis OK stop)
14-50 receptacle cool
14-50 adapter warm
UMC adapter end hot
Cable between UMC adapter end and GFI hot
GFI hot
Cable between GFI and charge port connector cool
Charge port connector cool

Flat tire. Nail was in the tire (noticed that one tire was down 3 psi--the useless TPMS didn't tell me, of course). Fixed at Graham Tire Shop in Lincoln. Had it been on the road I still would have been okay because I had a jumpstart kit with inflator and a plug kit but as it turned out I didn't have to use either.

All in all it was a great trip with plenty of Tesla time, and Telsa service really saved the day. Other than the charging issues (and the nail in the tire) the Model S performed flawlessly.

Jerry, great pictures, and great trip/story. I love the fact that the Rangers came out and got you back on the road right away. Try that with the BMW. Little discouraging that the tire pressure sensor did not pick up the delta they picked up on your own, as I honestly never check the pressures in my tires myself. I guess I may need to rethink that behavior, or lack thereof. Sweet looking car. Tell us Texans to get online and buy them. Texas dealerships should be embarrassed with themselves trying to stop a competitor through outdated legislation alone. Compete!

Little discouraging that the tire pressure sensor did not pick up the delta they picked up on your own

The one tire was down 3 psi. Generally TMPS is set to alert when 25% low--by that time the tire may have had structural damage. On some cars you can set the warning level yourself so that it alerts reasonably. If it showed the pressures that would be okay too. Hopefully Tesla will change this.

I honestly never check the pressures in my tires myself.

And that's why the government mandated the TPMS.

Tell us Texans to get online and buy them.

Spent Earth Day weekend showing the Model S and was at the last Dallas Cars & Coffee along with ZestyChicken.

Texas dealerships should be embarrassed with themselves trying to stop a competitor through outdated legislation alone. Compete!

The dealers know the writing is on the wall. They are just trying to postpone the inevitable.