Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venturi Volage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Paris 2008: Venturi Volage revealed! - AutoblogGreen

venturi-volage5.jpg

venturi-volage16.jpg

venturi-volage9.jpg

venturi-volage20.jpg

The motor and suspension-in-wheel idea is one that I bet many have pondered over the years. I wonder if it works well or is just a gimmick.

MichelinActiveWheel.JPG

Yes, very fast, very fast indeed...under ideal circumstances, but how is it in the rain? The snow? Under dusty/weathered road driving conditions?

These are all the same questions that occur to me when I review the both the questionable and unquestionable attributes of other "in-wheel" propulsion designs, such as the Eliica for example, which has motor units in it's eight(8) wheels that are "hermetically" sealed, imparting protection against moisture/air, but how does such technology stack up against real world daily driving conditions when the tech is in such a precarious/susceptible position (down next to the roadway)?

Also, isn't the core ideology behind placing the driving unit(s) in the wheel(s) of a vehicle to address the practical application of increasing interior cabin space, which seems to be pretty limited in this concept? Just asking.

I guess time will tell.

p.s. By the way, the Venturi Volage is a very exciting conceptual design from a purely aesthetic point of view, though it looks like an awful waste of trunk space from the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good points. What will changing a tire be like on one of these?

Me thinks the venturi will handle like crap with its ultra skinny snow racing tires and loads of unsprung weight.

To me this isn't a performance car its a gimmick to show off Michelin's new technology.

Prince of Monaco test drives the all-electric Venturi Volage

As you know, Monaco wants to position itself as one of the leading EV countries in the world. Of course, the country's small size helps keep range anxiety in check. HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco enjoyed himself during the Grand Prix de Monaco last weekend when the Venturi Volage was in town. The car, which is the result of Venturi's collaboration with Michelin, is an electric sports car that uses Michelin's Active Wheel. Prince Albert II drove the car along the urban circuit set up for the race.

sas-albert-dans-volage-grande.jpg