Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test of Parking Dynamics Electromagnetic sensors with very impressive results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally was able to wire up the Parking Dynamics Electromagnetic Parking sensor system and test it. As I noted in another post, the metal foil antenna for the Parking Dynamics system is on the backside of the nose cone. It has a sticky back, so you just tape it in place. I covered it with two layers of matte medium for extra protection. I set it up for extra sensitivity and range by running two parallel lines, and a few connecting lines between the two parallel ones (recommended by Parking Dynamics). I also set the ECU for maximum sensitivity. No holes in the nose cone or bumper are necessary for this system.

See this post for photos of the foil antenna on the backside of the nose cone and the control box for the cubby.

Tonight I wired up the nose cone to the Parking Dynamics ICU and switched it on. My dog was hanging around and the minute she got within about a 18" of the nose cone, the system set off an audible warning, beeping faster as the dog got closer, and changing to a steady tone as she approached within about 6 inches. I did some other tests with my hands, various metal rods I have around, and even a 2X4. The range is about 18" and it extends out at an angle of about 60 degrees or so from the edges of the nose cone. I'm convinced on the basis of this test that the system will make an easy-to-install (DYI for someone with minimal technical skill) parking warning system that will be highly effective for front end protection. And I love the idea that no holes in the bumper will be necessary. I know there have been skeptics about this system but on the basis of this test I don't think the skepticism is justified.

When my Model S is delivered around the end of April I'll be able to do some real world test as well. But for now this system is a go!

That seems great! Is there a way to set the sensibility of the system? With that I mean that what you are saying basically is that has useful range between 6-18 inches. Further away gives no signal, closer than 6" gives full signal. I find that what I need mostly from a parking system is the ability to get even closer to things, all the way up to just 1-2 inches would be useful. This is not necessarily to park that close to another car or object, but rather when manouvering in and out of tight spaces.

That seems great! Is there a way to set the sensibility of the system? With that I mean that what you are saying basically is that has useful range between 6-18 inches. Further away gives no signal, closer than 6" gives full signal. I find that what I need mostly from a parking system is the ability to get even closer to things, all the way up to just 1-2 inches would be useful. This is not necessarily to park that close to another car or object, but rather when manouvering in and out of tight spaces.

So what you are saying is the CLOSEST you can get with this system (in theory) is about 6 inches ? I wonder what range would be compare to a Sonar system - I'll have to try it out on my car.

So what you are saying is the CLOSEST you can get with this system (in theory) is about 6 inches ? I wonder what range would be compare to a Sonar system - I'll have to try it out on my car.

Sorry for any confusion. What I meant to say is that the warning tone becomes continuous about 6 inches from an obstacle. Further way it beeps, and more rapidly as you approach the obstacle.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you buy this from http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/ and have it shipped from the .uk or is there a place in the U.S. you bought this from?

Yes, I ordered from that web site and it was shipped from the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the sensibility is adjustable, with DIP switches on the ECU.

Hopefully the large boron steel cross member won't affect its sensitivity. If you reduce the sensitivity, does it allow you to get closer range (less than 6") before the tone becomes solid?

I don't think so, but we'll see when I get on the car. The tone does not become solid until an object is about 3" away, which is much better than ultra-sonic, hole-in-bumper systems.

My phone link is now working so I assume my car is close to being finished and will soon ship.

So no one actually has this installed in their Model S yet? I need to get the front done asap! I have been only parking rear in, and already got 2 tickets for head in parking only! The curbs in NY are so dam high! I don't think the Tesla Parking Sensors will be retrofitted, but the price of this system seems cheap enough to try. Just need an anal installer to do it now, any takers in NY area?

It has been said the accuracy is good (better than most sensors) but the reaction speed is much (s)lower. Any views on that? Did you get a chance to simulate/test this?

The second I turned it on it began beeping, as my dog was moving around in front of it. So it was immediate reaction time. But as I said, it will go on my Model S the week of April 29 and I'll report back with actual real-world experiences.