Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar, Laser Jammer, and Parking Sensor control box in cubby ; sensors in nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With delivery of my Model S only weeks away, I spend much of the weekend truing to finish up projects that have been underway for months.

The control box for the Blinder 905 Quad Laser Defense system, Passport 8500ci radar detector and the Parking Dynamics PD1 electromagnetic parking sensor is wired up, bench tested, and just about ready for installation when my Model is delivered. It has the control units/ECUs for the Blinder, Passport, and Parking Dynamics systems, along with two USB connectors for software and firmware upgrades, and an off-on switch for the Parking sensors. I’ve used carbon fiber vinyl to make it compatible with the carbon fiber interior accents on my car. The control box is designed to fit in the lower cubby under the display screen.

DSC_3185.JPG

DSC_3174.JPG

I bought a spare cubby to set it all up. I’ve designed it to be plug and play so that all of the wiring for the components can be done separately, run through the firewall to under the display, then plugged into the control box. This photo of the back side shows all of the plug and play connections.

DSC_3188.JPG

The metal foil antenna for the Parking Dynamics system is on the backside of the nose cone. It has a sticky back, so you just tape it in place. I covered it with two layers of matte medium for extra protection. I set it up for extra sensitivity and range by running two parallel lines, and a few connecting lines between the two parallel ones (recommended by Parking Dynamics). No holes in the nose cone or bumper are necessary for this system. As the Blinder 905 system also functions as a parking sensor I should have parking pretty well covered.

DSC_3181.JPG

Do to the plug and play set-up, when my Model S arrives I’m guessing it will take only about three hours to set this all up.

I love to tinker, take things apart and put them back together again, but this sort of thing would make me cringe! Seeing how everyone is customizing their MSes is a real enjoyment. Does this all get powered off the 12V or is there a second battery system?

artsci
Absolutely awesome. Was planning on installing the Bel Sti-r plus with front and rear laser interceptor. Have tried a Hong Kong knockoff of the Parking Dynamics on another car and wasn't happy with the performance. Really interested in hearing your experience. Will you install a rear strip as well? From everything I read, I am hopeful Tesla will provide their own solution which I hope will be integrated into the center display. Love the idea of using the central cubby but would love to figure out a way to have a fold down face to make it completely stealth esp. if pulled over by a cop. How much did the spare cubby cost? Also, look forward to hopefully getting some guidance on how you tapped for power and got the cords from the drunk to under the dash when you do the install. Would love to see detailed pics if you have a chance and the time. Thanks again for sharing.

The metal foil antenna for the Parking Dynamics system is on the backside of the nose cone. It has a sticky back, so you just tape it in place. I covered it with two layers of matte medium for extra protection. I set it up for extra sensitivity and range by running two parallel lines, and a few connecting lines between the two parallel ones (recommended by Parking Dynamics). No holes in the nose cone or bumper are necessary for this system. As the Blinder 905 system also functions as a parking sensor I should have parking pretty well covered.

artsci, it looks like you have concentrated the parking sensors in the nosecone only..am I seeing that correctly? If so, how are you handling parking sensors in the remaining bumper areas?

artsci, it looks like you have concentrated the parking sensors in the nosecone only..am I seeing that correctly? If so, how are you handling parking sensors in the remaining bumper areas?

Correct. Based on what I've read about the system I think that should work well. If it doesn't provide full protection, I'll add another antenna strip the full length of the bumper.

Videos please!!

Videos of what? Maybe audio would be more appropriate as there's not much to show visually. The static test will be with only the nose cone connected to the system ECU in the cubby control box. The system provides audio warnings in the form of beeps that get more frequent as you approach an obstacle. I'll trigger it for the static test by walking in front of the nose cone.

Last edited:
Okay, another, "I gotta ask" moment...
I've often thought about getting a jammer, and while in an urban setting it would likely be safe/inconspicuous in defense of your vehicle. However, in a rural drive, what happens if a Sherriff points a laser at your car, and you're the only car on the road, and his radar throws an error?

Wouldn't he have reason for still pulling you over on suspicion of speeding (say), or even on suspicion of carrying a jammer? Or if he pulls you over and then performs a walk around of your car, sees the bumper bulbs and ask if you have some kind of jamming device? I mean the penalty for having such equipment is pretty hefty in many states.

I would just worry that some of these scenarios could play out, get pulled over, and get questioned about it. No doubt the officers have a standard set of questions for this, to trap you.

Curious.

Btw, love your parking sensor setup! Looking forward to seeing how you route wires to the cabin. I maybe doing this too.