Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving power on down time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking our first trip with my Model S 60 kW. Not long, about 70 miles to and 70 miles back from the destination. The car will be idle at the destination for about 6 hours. Is there any way to save power during the down time? Does the "Power Off" achieve this?

I believe the jury is still out on that. It can't hurt, but I don't know that it will reduce the power drain much because the screens already turn off.

I started to use the Power Off feature after I returned from a 16 day vacation in September to find my previously fully charged (85%) S down to a range of 30 miles. Prior to that, I had noticed a range drop of 2-3 miles per day; not too bad. The results with Power Off enabled were inconsistent. This week, we left town for two days and came back to find the range, with Power Off enabled, had dropped from 228 to 215. This is not good. I am going to contact Tesla on this to see if there is something I am doing wrong when I enable Power Off.

I started to use the Power Off feature after I returned from a 16 day vacation in September to find my previously fully charged (85%) S down to a range of 30 miles. Prior to that, I had noticed a range drop of 2-3 miles per day; not too bad. The results with Power Off enabled were inconsistent. This week, we left town for two days and came back to find the range, with Power Off enabled, had dropped from 228 to 215.

There are many things that can influence this. The 12V battery needs additional charging, the battery temperature needs more maintaining, a fob is too close to the car. Of course, it would be nice if there was a record of energy use we could pull, then it would be easy (relatively easy anyway) to answer the question, and would likely reduce Tesla's costs as well (by saving time answering these questions).

There's also the energy saving mode, and uncheck the "Always connected" button. On the display screen.

I would do a 100% max charge before you go, and I think you should be fine. (with the usual caveats about hills, wind, speed, cold, etc)

Here is one part of the equation how to save energy while parked.

I just spent the past week playing with the Energy settings to understand impact on rated range discharge on my 90D (with LTE) from a 90% SOC with the various combinations. Net of my tests on Controls / Displays / Energy Saving options were:
1. OFF & Always Connected -- consumed ~7-8 miles range per day
2. ON & Always Connected -- consumed ~2 miles range per day
3. ON & Always Connected NOT CHECKED -- consumed ~1-2 miles range per day

...so net for me is
1. Impatient people should keep everything on to have really fast display, Bluetooth & App access, but it has a fairly significant impact on range especially after a few days with a parked car that isn't being charged.
2. You can save a lot of range if you're going to park for any extended period by turning ON Energy Savings and put up with a slight delay each time you get into your MS, but still have access via your Tesla App within seconds.
3. As the manual says, there is a slight benefit to not retaining the LTE connection, but I also do not want to possibly wait minutes to remotely wake my MS up if I want to check on it -- but you could. This is the best option to protect range when parked.

I'm sticking with #2 as a good compromise unless I were planning to park for weeks at a time without connection to power. I'm glad I did the test to put some numbers behind the generalities.