Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Electric Generation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

evchels

Aug 26, 2010
As some of you know, I’ve been helping the Edison Electric Institute (EEI -an association representing the shareholder-owned electric utilities in the US), plan and launch a community-oriented campaign to generate public interest in the benefits of plug-in vehicles and using electricity as a transportation fuel. Over the last several months, I’ve asked for input from you all on various fronts in order to shape the effort in ways that authentically reflect the voices of enthusiasts, and really appreciate everyone who’s participated so far.

The resulting campaign, The Electric Generation, represents the electric utility industry’s commitment to the widespread adoption of electricity as a transportation fuel. It is meant to amplify and add to existing efforts, not to compete with or replace them. So, much of the content is driver or community generated (including articles written by folks in this forum), the faces in the logo and on the site are actual drivers and enthusiasts, etc. We also aim to vary that content - basic information for the “EV curious”, along with tips and information that will appeal to those who already have EVs- recognizing that along the way, the utility industry is learning from all of you as well.

The site has now been up for a couple months, and we’ve been thrilled to see many of you join. If you haven’t yet, you can do so here. Pretty please? :)

In addition, I’d love your feedback about what you see, and what you’d like to see. How else can this effort help what you all are already doing, and encourage more folks to join our collective choir?

Thanks,

chels.

As an electric utility employee, I get the EEI news releases emailed by my companies communications. The majority of them have seemed biased negatively toward EVs and downplayed the current adoption rate and technology. I have thought about posting them to the Anti-EV thread, but wavered due to industry and/or company confidentiality.

Maybe you should inform the people writing EEI's news articles what your program is all about.

Thanks, all- and I'll pass along your comment, @NuclearPowered.

Nitpicker's corner:
Is electricity considered a "fuel"?

For your post, it doesn't really matter. But for the website, I was curious if that's correct terminology.

We've had a few raise this point, and I understand why. At the same time, we're aiming to educate those new to EVs while also trying to be as "accessible" as possible- and talking in terms of "fuel" is what they're used to. But you're right- it's definitely a colloquial use of the word in this case.

Negative Stories about EVs

As an electric utility employee, I get the EEI news releases emailed by my companies communications. The majority of them have seemed biased negatively toward EVs and downplayed the current adoption rate and technology. I have thought about posting them to the Anti-EV thread, but wavered due to industry and/or company confidentiality.

Maybe you should inform the people writing EEI's news articles what your program is all about.

NuclearPowered: I'm working on The Electric Generation at EEI and I'd love to chat with you what you've seen from EEI that is negative toward EVs. We produce some news products that cover stories from 3rd parties that may be negative, but we certainly support this technology and want to get out a positive message. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to get in touch.