Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit Card Processing: A Model X Reservation Issue ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I attempted to place a reservation for a Model X this morning only to be greeted with the message "Your payment could not be processed. Please try again or select another method."

This was rather strange since I had made a payment for the entire reservation amount to my credit card company the previous week (and the payment was received).

After trying again using Paypal and then once more via credit card, I placed a call to Scotiabank (who my credit card is through) to see what the problem was. The information I received was quite shocking. The first two attempts were declined for unknown reasons, but the third attempt had gone through. However, according to Tesla, my payment had not gone through so I was not given any kind of confirmation or reservation number!

So, here I am now with Scotiabank saying the payment went through and Tesla saying it did not. No money. No reservation.

I'm going to give this until tomorrow since the payment was authorized but technically still "pending" according to Scotiabank.

I'm not sure who is to blame for my cash being trapped in limbo, but it has rather soured my first impressions with Tesla.

How does this compare to the reservation experiences others have experienced here on the forum? What payment method did you use? Were you given immediate confirmation, or was your deposit put in limbo as well?

Sounds like you are sure since you are soured on Tesla Motors. Yet you say you are not sure who to blame, but appears you have blamed Tesla.
Don't you think you're overreacting a bit? If you had just plunked down $5K and had nothing to show for it, would you not at least sit back and think "Hmm...That did NOT go as well as it should have." This is all I'm doing. I still support Tesla wholeheartedly.

To everyone else, thanks for the support. I suspected it was something like that, like a "random" security check at the airport.

Day 3 in Limbo.

If your credit card was declined twice (whatever the reason) the third transfer will only get credited to the vendor when the money is actually transferred to them. The rest depends on the speed of your bank and the CC company who get to use your cash for the few days they can hold on to it.

I very much doubt that this delay is Tesla's fault as they could only gain financially by recognizing your deposit as quickly as possible. Assuming your credit is good I'd be making a stink at the bank as to why the first two attempts were declined.

Moderator note: Thread title updated to more accurately reflect issue.

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth, if I were processing a large amount on a credit card and it was declined, I wouldn't keep trying. I'd call the bank and ask what was going on. And then they'd clear it.

(This isn't a 'theoretical what I'd do'. It's happened. My card was declined when I bought the GO trailer. And I didn't feel soured on my first experience with SylvanSport. I was annoyed with my credit card company and called them to ask WHY. I verified with them that I wanted the transaction to go through. I then called SylvanSport and asked them to run it again. And it went through. It never once occurred to me to be annoyed with SylvanSport.)

For what it's worth, if I were processing a large amount on a credit card and it was declined, I wouldn't keep trying. I'd call the bank and ask what was going on. And then they'd clear it.

(This isn't a 'theoretical what I'd do'. It's happened. My card was declined when I bought the GO trailer. And I didn't feel soured on my first experience with SylvanSport. I was annoyed with my credit card company and called them to ask WHY. I verified with them that I wanted the transaction to go through. I then called SylvanSport and asked them to run it again. And it went through. It never once occurred to me to be annoyed with SylvanSport.)

If a large purchase like this is 'out of the ordinary', I can see the credit being denied in the moment. I've received calls from the CC company in the past asking me specifically if I made a purchase/sequence of purchases to verify my card hadn't been stolen.

It is annoying in the moment because it takes time to sort out, but it's usually easily rectified.

If a large purchase like this is 'out of the ordinary', I can see the credit being denied in the moment. I've received calls from the CC company in the past asking me specifically if I made a purchase/sequence of purchases to verify my card hadn't been stolen.
I have had similar calls from my CC company about large purchases. It's basically automatic fraud protection kicking in. As long as you get in contact with your CC company it should be easily handled.

Yes, we have to deal with exactly this scenario from the other side (as a vendor) periodically. In all cases simply having the customer call his bank sorts it out. Sometimes they are irritated at us, but there's not much we can do about it!

When I put my deposit down in June last year for a Model S I was sent instructions to send the money to Wells Fargo Bank account.
IIRC this was the only option for Australian customers at the time.
Not being from the USA I though they were Kidding. "Don't Wells Fargo do Stage Coaches?".
I did some on-line research and found out they were legitimate so I sent my AUD$6,000 to the account specified and waited a nervous week before my order was confirmed.
When I got to SFO in August for the test drive event I couldn't stop seeing Wells Fargo branches everywhere!:smile:

Last edited:
I am typically at the other end of this situation. People hand me their CC and they are declined regularly. The #1 reason is because they are using debit cards with CC symbols on them and those type of cards have preset limits built in for safety reasons. The #2 reason is because someone is making a large purchase outside of their normal buying area (this is probably what happened to you) and this flags as a possible stolen card/fraud situation. The #3 reason is that the person has an identity theft program like "lifeline" active to protect themselves. Each of these situations happen regularly and they are NEVER my fault. #1 and #3 are actually the card holders fault and #2 is the CC companies fault. I'm actually surprised that any of your transactions were processed at all.

In none of those situations can your money disappear. In the worst case, you dispute the charge if Tesla says they never received it but the CC company says they did.

Several points:

1) If you recall my original post, I called my CC company the day this happened. As far as they were concerned the transaction went through and was authorized (although they would not give me any kind of authorization number or confirmation with which to confront the vendor). There was nothing more they could do for me.

2) This is not my first rodeo. I have triggered anti-fraud protection several times in the past and can see why this would do so. It is a large, even amount and is outside my normal purchasing area (though, with the advent of e-commerce, that should be less reliable as a sign of fraud, IMO). However, unlike any past occurrences, I was NOT contacted by my bank to confirm this purchase as legit.

3) montgom626, qwk, vfx....put away the pitchforks, guys! I am not "blaming" Tesla. Tesla happens to be the vendor I was using at the time this occurred and is, as such, collateral damage in any issues I have. Though, is it not possible that their website could have been having issues on that day? Is it infallible? All the actual hit-pieces against Tesla (like the NYT article) are making you guys just a little paranoid, so you jump on anything perceived to be negative. Funny, I thought Elon Musk valued negative criticism? (not that that's even what this is about)

4) The purpose of my original post was simply to solicit experience from those who had successfully placed a reservation. Is it normal for there to be delays like this when reserving via Credit Card, or did others receive immediate confirmation? Any other info I provided was intended to pre-answer anticipated questions, not cause argument. I don't think I said anything controversial, but maybe I failed to communicate what I wanted to know properly.

1) If you recall my original post, I called my CC company the day this happened. As far as they were concerned the transaction went through and was authorized (although they would not give me any kind of authorization number or confirmation with which to confront the vendor). There was nothing more they could do for me.

Someone is feeding you BS. All CC companies should give you a reference and there is plenty they can do to help you.

4) The purpose of my original post was simply to solicit experience from those who had successfully placed a reservation. Is it normal for there to be delays like this when reserving via Credit Card, or did others receive immediate confirmation?

No, it's not normal. I got an immediate on-screen confirmation that I could print and keep plus a follow-up e-mail shortly thereafter.

Several points:

If what you steted is true, then it's clear that the CC company is at fault. No authorization #?

2) This is not my first rodeo. I have triggered anti-fraud protection several times in the past and can see why this would do so. It is a large, even amount and is outside my normal purchasing area (though, with the advent of e-commerce, that should be less reliable as a sign of fraud, IMO). However, unlike any past occurrences, I was NOT contacted by my bank to confirm this purchase as legit.

Really? Are you implying that Tesla is/was trying to defraud you? This is simply ridiculous.

3) montgom626, qwk, vfx....put away the pitchforks, guys! I am not "blaming" Tesla. Tesla happens to be the vendor I was using at the time this occurred and is, as such, collateral damage in any issues I have. Though, is it not possible that their website could have been having issues on that day? Is it infallible? All the actual hit-pieces against Tesla (like the NYT article) are making you guys just a little paranoid, so you jump on anything perceived to be negative. Funny, I thought Elon Musk valued negative criticism? (not that that's even what this is about)

It's possible that it was website problems. Why come on here and shout from the rooftops over something this silly?

4) The purpose of my original post was simply to solicit experience from those who had successfully placed a reservation. Is it normal for there to be delays like this when reserving via Credit Card, or did others receive immediate confirmation? Any other info I provided was intended to pre-answer anticipated questions, not cause argument. I don't think I said anything controversial, but maybe I failed to communicate what I wanted to know properly.

When using a 3rd party for payment, if there are problems, it's usually the 3rd party's fault(I have been/am on both cc card transaction sides). It was your choice to pay using a 3rd party. When I go to a business and their CC card machine is down, I don't cause a fuss, I just pay using other means. Very simple.

Sure you are blaming Tesla

3) montgom626, qwk, vfx....put away the pitchforks, guys! I am not "blaming" Tesla. re .

Sure you are blaming Tesla. Give it a rest.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mayhemm viewpost-right.png
I'm not sure who is to blame for my cash being trapped in limbo, but it has rather soured my first impressions with Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

This post is simply ridiculous. A CC is YOUR form of payment that didn't work. How is this Tesla's fault?

I have the same question, how is the TM fault????