Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S with SPX Power Express

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two Chevy Volts, using a SPX Power Express. I believe this draws at 24A. It's using a NEMA 6-30 plug (not directly wired in). I tried the J1772 adapter with the Model S, however it doesn't like it. It blinks a few times, and i hear a couple of relay clicks, and within 20 seconds the tesla charge indicator turns red.

Has anyone else got this to work? Im charging at 120... but thats not going to work for very long. Unfortunately it does not appear that Tesla offers a 6-30 connector, either.

Thanks for any input.

We have two Chevy Volts, using a SPX Power Express. I believe this draws at 24A. It's using a NEMA 6-30 plug (not directly wired in). I tried the J1772 adapter with the Model S, however it doesn't like it. It blinks a few times, and i hear a couple of relay clicks, and within 20 seconds the tesla charge indicator turns red.

Has anyone else got this to work? Im charging at 120... but thats not going to work for very long. Unfortunately it does not appear that Tesla offers a 6-30 connector, either.

Thanks for any input.

Maybe try manually dialing down the amp draw on the touchscreen to under 24amps and see if that helps. Could be the Model S is trying to draw more power than your setup is happy with?

Wow, surprised its not working. I tried to start a thread where people can share their experiences with residential J1772 systems for those of us who do have 2 EVs (not both Tesla). It got moved here: Residential J1772 Stations for unknown reasons.

Please report back if you are able to get it to work. I was considering this on my list of J1772 systems to consider. As of now, I'm planning to get a GE Wattstation. Of course, I have no idea if it will work. And the more I hear of systems NOT working with the adapter, I get more nervous.

Wow, surprised its not working. I tried to start a thread where people can share their experiences with residential J1772 systems for those of us who do have 2 EVs (not both Tesla). It got moved here: Residential J1772 Stations for unknown reasons.

Please report back if you are able to get it to work. I was considering this on my list of J1772 systems to consider. As of now, I'm planning to get a GE Wattstation. Of course, I have no idea if it will work. And the more I hear of systems NOT working with the adapter, I get more nervous.

I have a Siemens versicharger 30a j1772 that works on my models s. good thing because at delivery they didn't provide a 6-50 like they promised.

Maybe try manually dialing down the amp draw on the touchscreen to under 24amps and see if that helps. Could be the Model S is trying to draw more power than your setup is happy with?

I tried a few different lower amps settings, no luck. It feels like both the SPX and the Model S are trying to "auto-determine" the AMPs setting, and this is causing a problem. I say this because it connects, starts, then the SPX resets and tries again.

Also, when i stop charging and unplug either the tesla 120, or the power express, the tesla double clicks repeatedly. Is this normal?

I spoke with someone at Tesla. They indicated that there have been problems with 30A J1772 chargers other than chargepoint and blink. Something about these other chargers not having a neutral/ground wired properly. It's a guess at this point - but looks like the best solution is to get a NEMA 14-50 installed, and leave the volt charging stuff alone.

I spoke with SPX about the Power Express. They confirmed that the older version does not work with the Model S, but an update is in progress. It sounded like new(er) Power Express units would work - but i would check with SPX. I quickly installed a NEMA 14-50 and was blown away by the charge rate. I would get maybe 10 miles of range in my Volt per hour of charge. The Model S was peaking at 29 miles per hour of charge. Absolutely fabulous.

I spoke with SPX about the Power Express. They confirmed that the older version does not work with the Model S, but an update is in progress. It sounded like new(er) Power Express units would work - but i would check with SPX. I quickly installed a NEMA 14-50 and was blown away by the charge rate. I would get maybe 10 miles of range in my Volt per hour of charge. The Model S was peaking at 29 miles per hour of charge. Absolutely fabulous.

The Volt charges at a much lower rate on any power supply no matter what the amperage. It will draw a max of about 13 amps. My system is set up to charge the Model S at 50 amps on a 14-50. When I plug my Volt into it, it charges at about 13 amps and takes about 3 1/2 hours for a full charge of about 40 miles. So the Volt is the issue, not the SPX Power Express.