Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Santelli Loves NG (but not TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeL

some guy
Jan 24, 2013
Ok, everybody take a breath & watch Rick Santelli just about choke on his mic when the nice young investors tell him they are long on TSLA.

Man, what a joke. Surprised he stopped before shouting that they should be all in Exxon or BP
if link doesn't work, it's the segment titled "Santelli Loves Natural Gas" (today) mar15

Santelli Loves Natural Gas - CNBC

Doesn't play on my device, is it the right one?

Last edited:
Ok, everybody take a breath & watch Rick Santelli just about choke on his mic when the nice young investors tell him they are long on TSLA.

Man, what a joke. Surprised he stopped before shouting that they should be all in Exxon or BP
if link doesn't work, it's the segment titled "Santelli Loves Natural Gas" (today) mar15

Here's a link that works on IOS:

Thanks, I knew someone would rescue me.
the clip doesn't seem as "bad" as when I saw it live this morning. He's perfectly nice to the kid, just gives him the same old "battery would always be dead" crap along with a side of "I'm too stupid to charge it"
Lame.

re: this thread, we'll get half of it back on Mon.:wink:
re: re:
thread moved from TSLA short term price movements. (Since I didn't say what "it" is, I'll be correct tomorrow, that is, unless "it" drops some more!):eek:

Last edited:

Oh man, that was great. I'm thinking the guy is long "nat gas". The student made a clear, concise case for TSLA (that makes the reporter's previous segment look kind of silly) and his best counter was "what if my kid gets appendicitis at 3 am and I forgot to plug my car in?"

"Out of the mouths of babes", older folks are often stunned by wisdom. When Rick was a trader at the CME, I would interview him on our Chicago based "Stock Market Observer" TV show. Back then he had not yet developed his "shtick", as our station owner would have called it. CNBC apparently encourages him to speak in a passionate manner that's in sync with the channel's sponsors and core audience. Commercial sponsors are the lifeblood of TV operations. Tesla advertises nowhere.

Ok, everybody take a breath & watch Rick Santelli just about choke on his mic when the nice young investors tell him they are long on TSLA. ...

I don't even get his point. Batteries forget to get charged? How many times would you forget that before you never did it again? Something about battery management? Cars don't have computers on them like a laptop does?

???

Related thoughts: in a perfect world, wouldn't Rick S. want to see everyone's stocks increase in value everyday? And is it lost on him that, on a national (global!?) scale, more & more of the electricity we use to do things like charge batteries, is being generated by. . . .you guessed it - Natural Gas! If HE doesn't want some TSLA (or a Tesla), fine, but grasping at straws for excuses as to why WE shouldn't, sounds pretty weak to me. ML

Oh man, that was great. I'm thinking the guy is long "nat gas". The student made a clear, concise case for TSLA (that makes the reporter's previous segment look kind of silly) and his best counter was "what if my kid gets appendicitis at 3 am and I forgot to plug my car in?"

"What if my kid gets appendicitis at 3am and I didn't fill up my ICE that evening because I was too tired, in a hurry, etc. and I was just going to fill up the next morning?" FWIW - I do that A LOT :redface:

"What if my kid gets appendicitis at 3am and I didn't fill up my ICE that evening because I was too tired, in a hurry, etc. and I was just going to fill up the next morning?" FWIW - I do that A LOT :redface:

Totally. FWIW, I did run out of gas on my old ICE after the fuel light stopped working, but I've never brodered my S. I hated going to gas stations so would wait as long as possible before filling up again.

The scenario he presents is another example of a fundamental misunderstanding that is way too common. That is, that every EV driver returns home with a completely dead battery every day, and that once parked, the car is going nowhere until it gets a looooong charge. This wrong assumption is evident in the often heard, seemingly innocent question, "how long does it take to charge?" Btw, my answer is "a few seconds, just plug it in." But what the question implies is a completely drained battery, which we almost never have, especially in a Tesla! How far does he live from the hospital anyway?!

Last edited:
The scenario he presents is another example of a fundamental misunderstanding that is way too common. That is, that every EV driver returns home with a completely dead battery every day, and that once parked, the car is going nowhere until it gets a looooong charge. This wrong assumption is evident in the seemingly innocent question, "how long does it take to charge?" Btw, my answer is "a few seconds, just plug it in." But what the question implies is a completely drained battery, which we almost never have, especially in a Tesla!

I prefer: "Wrong question! The correct answer is, it's always full in the morning!". Works for me.