Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Guts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a couple of PM's about some of the photo's I took while installing the Passport 9500ci, so here's a few photo's of the frunk guts, in case you're interested....

The fully dressed frunk, nothing to see here...
1. fully dressed.jpg

The frunk bucket. Held in with bolts, and very easy to remove.
3. Frunk bucket.jpg

the so-called firewall. I never did find a convenient way through it to run my cables, but the 'droopy' drain line dead center is easily visible on both sides (behind the touchscreen on the inside), but I didn't want to drill any holes. I assume the shiny tank at the top is for the air suspension?
7. firewall.jpg

This shows the fan by the wheel well, and explains why the external covers have a mesh over the front wheels to allow airflow.
6. cooling fan.jpg

Frunk, from behind.
5. frunk guts 2.jpg

The best pic showing all the mechanicals below the frunk.
9. frunk guts 3.jpg

I don't know what this widget is, but it looks intriguing.
8. strange widget.jpg

These were all taken with an iPhone, so the quality isn't amazing, but if you want the higher-res versions, they are here.

Wow, an amazing amount of "Junk below the Frunk" :). Amazing array of pumps, valves and wiring. One is definitely the coolant pump, you can hear it spooling up when charging starts (At least i can over on here on the east coast with 20-30 degree temperatures).

Did you take detailed pictures of the 9500ci wire runs/sensor mounting? I am considering the same detector.

I don't think so. I've seen a picture of the rear bumper assembly and the same thing is on their too. It's been speculated that this is the rear key sensor (Check Your Nuts! Found Assembly Error During Hitch Install | Forums | Tesla Motors).

Ah, yeah there it is. Same doohickey on the rear bumper.

I'm no antenna expert, but I've only ever seen circular antennas for UHF. Might this be something else? That shape and size says "induction loop" to me.

An easy test would be to disconnect one and see if the car still detects the fob fore or aft.

Wow, if you had not circled the fuse box #1, I would never have guessed that that was it!
PS Upon further review, that is not the fuse box.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, how much time did it take you? Any challenges????

Ha, sorry, no idea what happened there, I posted that reply ages ago. The bit circled is the strange little antenna that's replicated behind the rear bumper.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you find fuse box #1? I saw fuse box #2 and #3.

I think fuse box 1 is somewhere near the battery, which is nicely buried in the top left corner of the frunk (when viewed from the front).

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, an amazing amount of "Junk below the Frunk" :). Amazing array of pumps, valves and wiring. One is definitely the coolant pump, you can hear it spooling up when charging starts (At least i can over on here on the east coast with 20-30 degree temperatures).

Did you take detailed pictures of the 9500ci wire runs/sensor mounting? I am considering the same detector.

You can find all the details of my 9500ci on this thread. There's a LOT of wires to vanish, but if you take your time, it's no problem. I've installed plenty of screen-mounted detectors, but this was my first discreet install.

I did the same tare down with Pete's tutorial and it went well. My only note is that you have to take some care when replacing the manual frunk release cable. It runs down the passenger side top of the frunk well. If you don't position it well the frunk latch will no longer latch. Not a big deal just make sure to clip it in place with as much cable up front as possible.

My goal was to get some more sound isolation on the suspension air compressor and air conditioning compressor. I have to say both are already very well isolated from the vehicle by Tesla.